Topic: Making your own cases

Print this page

1.Making your own cases Copy to clipboard
Posted by: drummachine5787
Posted on: Sep 19, 2007 2:14 PM

Has anyone had good experience with making their own hardware, cymbal, or drum cases? Cases are a little pricey, and I may be needing some in the near future for jam purposes. Will a trip to Home Depot be the solution?

2.Re:Making your own cases [Re: drummachine5787] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: bengandy
Posted on: Sep 19, 2007 2:24 PM

i doubt any trip to home depo will get you a case...
it's probably better to just wrap the kit in bubble wrap when you take it out...Cool
you would need special materials and stuff to make cases - or at leats cases that won't fall apart.

3.Re:Making your own cases [Re: drummachine5787] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: paul
Posted on: Sep 19, 2007 2:35 PM

If you're going to carry your own gear, spend the money to get some good padded bags. They'll protect your drums and cymbals well for a reasonable price. Hardware bags can be anything that works.

I'm personally very dubious of homemade cases. They're generally much heavier than regular cases, and will likely cost as much or more than regular cases by the time you buy all the materials necessary.

4.Re:Making your own cases [Re: drummachine5787] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: Nico
Posted on: Sep 19, 2007 2:59 PM

I posted a thread long ago about the making of wooden, homemade cases.
I made one for my snare and one for my double pedal. Really sturdy and protective.

Cheers!

Snare case:

(Click the picture to view the original one)

5.Re:Making your own cases [Re: drummachine5787] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Sep 19, 2007 3:01 PM

Snare case:

6.Re:Making your own cases [Re: drummachine5787] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Sep 19, 2007 3:02 PM

Snare case:

7.Re:Making your own cases [Re: drummachine5787] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Sep 19, 2007 3:03 PM

Double pedal case:

8.Re:Making your own cases [Re: drummachine5787] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Sep 19, 2007 3:04 PM

Finally both casesBig SmileBig Smile

9.Re:Making your own cases [Re: drummachine5787] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: Geordie_Da
Posted on: Sep 19, 2007 11:27 PM

I agree...protecting your gear as best you can is the priority so unless you can do better than what's on the market already don't use something you knocked together in your garage.

The only thing I've ever made is cymbal covers - out of an old bed sheet using scissors and a needle and thread. They stop my cymbals banging together too much in the cymbal bag.

G.Da

10.Re:Making your own cases [Re: drummachine5787] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: pwc
Posted on: Sep 20, 2007 6:07 AM

I'm with Paul. Padded bags are lighter, less bulky when not in use, not that expensive to buy in sets and offer great protection for normal transport. Unless you are on the road touring with bad handlers, the only cases that are warranted are maybe a snare drum case and a cymbal case (if you have lots of cymbals other wise a bag is fine).

11.Re:Making your own cases [Re: Geordie_Da] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: OldFart
Posted on: Sep 20, 2007 6:07 AM

Geordie_Da wrote:
I agree...protecting your gear as best you can is the priority so unless you can do better than what's on the market already don't use something you knocked together in your garage.

The only thing I've ever made is cymbal covers - out of an old bed sheet using scissors and a needle and thread. They stop my cymbals banging together too much in the cymbal bag.

G.Da

That's a useful addition.

Years ago, I allowed my cymbals to suffer because I didn't protect them the way they deserved. Beyond a sheath to stop the clang this is a good idea for general simple protection from the elements - whatever they might be. I found all manner of crud came in contact with the bare cymbal. Even a small amount of protection is lightyears ahead of straight naked pies.

OldFart

12.Re:Making your own cases [Re: OldFart] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Sep 20, 2007 6:10 AM

OldFart wrote:
That's a useful addition.

Years ago, I allowed my cymbals to suffer because I didn't protect them the way they deserved. Beyond a sheath to stop the clang this is a good idea for general simple protection from the elements - whatever they might be. I found all manner of crud came in contact with the bare cymbal. Even a small amount of protection is lightyears ahead of straight naked pies.

OldFart

Indeed, it makes quite a difference on a number of levels, and the covers can double-up as drum kit dusters and cymbal wipes Smile

G.Da

13.Re:Making your own cases [Re: drummachine5787] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: dave53
Posted on: Sep 20, 2007 6:15 AM

I have made cases that look like flight cases, I know of a company in Canada that mailed me a catalog and it had all the hardware to to build flight cases, the stuff isn't cheap and i use 1/2" marine plywood, these would be the last cases you would build for your drums they are tuff. hope this helps

14.Re:Making your own cases [Re: drummachine5787] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: DoubleFlam
Posted on: Sep 20, 2007 6:59 AM

Making your own hard cases may not end up cheaper than buying a set of Nomad cases! Road cases are of course very expensive.

Before getting a set of Nomad hard cases I made myself soft cylindrical bags out of a thick upholstery material found in the "end of line and coupons" of a fabric shop (I am handy with a sewing machine!); took me a week-end and cost me less than $50 for 5 cases. The zippers cost me as much as the fabric itself! Not as good as hard cases but good enough to carry the drumkit in my car.

15.Re:Making your own cases [Re: Geordie_Da] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Sep 20, 2007 7:16 AM

Geordie_Da wrote:
Indeed, it makes quite a difference on a number of levels, and the covers can double-up as drum kit dusters and cymbal wipes Smile

G.Da

... And I'd venture that the covering limits the need to wipe off dust or other stuff. You're in good shape with your handcrafted protection. Add to that, you can be assured of the quality of the workmanship in your own effort, but might not be so assured of what goes into mass produced kit.

OldFart

16.Re:Making your own cases [Re: drummachine5787] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: moneyowen
Posted on: Sep 20, 2007 8:04 AM

Home made cases are often heavier than the item they are made to transport.

17.Re:Making your own cases [Re: DoubleFlam] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Sep 20, 2007 8:08 AM

DoubleFlam wrote:
Making your own hard cases may not end up cheaper than buying a set of Nomad cases! Road cases are of course very expensive.

Before getting a set of Nomad hard cases I made myself soft cylindrical bags out of a thick upholstery material found in the "end of line and coupons" of a fabric shop (I am handy with a sewing machine!); took me a week-end and cost me less than $50 for 5 cases. The zippers cost me as much as the fabric itself! Not as good as hard cases but good enough to carry the drumkit in my car.

Great savings !

Terrific that you were able to put that together. I think I spent $50US on one case alone (it is a polypropolene case, not something I could make). But the fact that you had complete control over what you did and how you did it would've given a great deal of satisfaction to me. Not to mention that it's effective for protecting your gear.

Kudos !!

OldFart

18.Re:Making your own cases [Re: drummachine5787] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: drummachine5787
Posted on: Sep 20, 2007 3:30 PM

Hmmm...good suggestions =). Found some rubbermaid laying around. Maybe I'll line it with this stuff, minus the wheelchairTongue

19.Re:Making your own cases [Re: OldFart] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Sep 21, 2007 6:35 AM

OldFart wrote:
... And I'd venture that the covering limits the need to wipe off dust or other stuff. You're in good shape with your handcrafted protection. Add to that, you can be assured of the quality of the workmanship in your own effort, but might not be so assured of what goes into mass produced kit.

OldFart

Mmmmm...yeah...maybe I should patent this?

LOL!

G.Da

20.Re:Making your own cases [Re: drummachine5787] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: ModernDrummer
Posted on: Sep 21, 2007 7:32 AM

IMO, the general problem with most homemade cases, is weight.

While the couple Jorge made are relatively small, ya start making a bass drum case out of plywood or particle board that's ALSO sturdy enough to last for years is gonna be a chore to lug around. Make that a hardware case, and that puppy is gonna get pretty darn heavy, pretty darn fast.

A lot of folks recommend padded bags, and I won't debate that as they seem to have good luck with them. Me? I prefer hardshell cases, ESPECIALLY for cymbals. I personally think injection molded cases are about the best balance between protection and weight. Flight cases if ya really travel a lot, and lots of unknown-type-people might be handling your gear. I've also had good luck over the years with fiber cases, especially the padded types. But I don't think they're really much cheaper than injection molded cases, and I'm sure they're not as popular as they once were. Still, they are another option.

But whatever the choice, I think it a bit foolhardy to think of bags / cases as something to be done on the cheap. Especially if your drum gear are the "tools" ya use to make $$$, or simply pursue your passion.

21.Re:Making your own cases [Re: drummachine5787] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Sep 21, 2007 8:49 AM

Very true JB, homemade cases ARE heavy!Shock

That being said, here's my reasoning for having made my own:
As with almost anything, we don't have hardcases in stock down here (not even soft padded bagsSad). Haulin' around my snare and double bass pedal was a real pain. IMO these two items are vital in anyone's setup, so I wanted extra protection and ruggedness. Both, the snare and the double pedal case have done their job great. I've had band mates step over them, "accidentally" (they claimAngry) and my gear inside is fine and unharmedBig Smile

So, my bottom line thoughts are:
Yes, homemade cases can be stronger than regular hardcases...
No, they are not for every part of the kit; IMHO, they can only be useful for snare and double pedal.

Mine came out for about $45, both casesSmile

Cheers!

22.Re:Making your own cases [Re: drummachine5787] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: ModernDrummer
Posted on: Sep 22, 2007 9:27 AM

Oh yeah, Jorge. I understand perfectly your reasons for building your own. Up here though, we do have those options unavailable where you live.

And you also mentioned the other factor, cost. More specifically, the cost difference between building your own, and buying one. As you noted, for a case or two, the cost savings might be significant. But to build a set of cases for an entire kit including stands, cymbals, etc? I think in the long run it wouldn't save much vs. the cost of buying cases, especially bags.

And of course, when you factor in the time, ya may not save anything, depending on what someone's time is worth to them.

For me, it was easier and most cost effective for me to head to Guitar Center and simply say "Hook me up, bro". Big Smile

23.Re:Making your own cases [Re: drummachine5787] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: Crusher
Posted on: Sep 22, 2007 6:07 PM

Here is what I did for cases. I hit yard sales! I got a nomad case in pretty good shape for my bass drum. Then I got 2 army duffel bags for my stands etc. I got a Rubbermaid tote for my cymbals with a towel between them to avoid scratches etc. Then for my snare and two rack toms I got an expandable suit case that is on wheel and stands about 4 feet high. Then fot the roto toms I got a hockey bag and I can fit my floor tom in there as well. I need one more for the other floor tom.

Price break down
Nomad bass drum case .... .25cents (great yard sale)
2 Army duffel bags .... 10.00 (army surplus dealer buddy)
Rubbermaid tote .... 12.00 (Walmart)
expandable suit case .... 5.00 (great yard sale)
Hockey bag .... 3.00 (great yard sale)

Grand total 30.25

Not bad for "cases" for a nine piece kit.

Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 74 milliseconds