Topic: My Paypal account got ripped off!

Print this page

1.My Paypal account got ripped off! Copy to clipboard
Posted by: Nico
Posted on: Dec 21, 2007 5:48 AM

Here's the story:

I opened up a Paypal account to make my contribution towards Crush's snare. I was very glad I could chime in with a small donationSmile.

I used the account once.

Then came along the idea of giving Crush a full kit. So once again I wanted to chime in. This time, I wasn't able to donate. I got into my account and it didn't allow me to send the money. I received an email telling me that my account "may" be hacked by a third party, so my account was unactivated, making it impossible to send or receive money.

No problem up to here.

Today I received my credit card monthly statement, and to my surprise, two charges appeared from my Paypal account, one for $10.52 and one for $69.00ShockShock. The charges appear as "rapidshare" and "autotraderc".

Definately I haven't used my account after the first donation, and I haven't bought anything online from those sites...so, I got ripped offSad

I'm very tight moneywise right now, and this is not going to help a bit.

I just wanted to share my misfortune so that you guys be careful when using this kind of payment method.

2.Re:Ripped off by Paypal! [Re: Nico] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: Densbak
Posted on: Dec 21, 2007 5:53 AM

Gotta watch them transfer fees!! That sucks!Sad

I just threw in there, and had no probs with it. Maybe it's because of your location. Fees may be higher. I'd call someone emediately!

3.Re:Ripped off by Paypal! [Re: Nico] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Dec 21, 2007 5:54 AM

Who can I call?

4.Re:Ripped off by Paypal! [Re: Nico] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: Kaleidoscope
Posted on: Dec 21, 2007 6:00 AM

rapidshare is a file sharing company, that is not a transfer fee.

5.Re:Ripped off by Paypal! [Re: Nico] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Dec 21, 2007 6:05 AM

First thing I would do is either cancell the account, or change the password. There should be a number to contact paypal somewhere.

6.Re:Ripped off by Paypal! [Re: Nico] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: steveo
Posted on: Dec 21, 2007 6:09 AM

when i first opened my paypal acc they took some money from my bank to verify the acc, i was credited later, could it be something like this???

7.Re:Ripped off by Paypal! [Re: Nico] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Dec 21, 2007 6:51 AM

It's clear, this is no mistake, someone hacked into my account and made those payments.

I have to pay for this. No way around it. The charges appear on my credit card statement.

Kaleidoscope, even if you say rapidshare is a file sharing thing, the charge is there, and I have to pay for itSad

8.Re:Ripped off by Paypal! [Re: Nico] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Dec 21, 2007 6:53 AM

A similar thing happened to me as well. Some tried, but my bank put a hold on my card, and they stopped it before the hacker could get anything!!!

I had to get a different card, and change my info to protect the account.

Close the account right away if you don't use it.

9.Re:Ripped off by Paypal! [Re: Nico] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Dec 21, 2007 6:59 AM

There's no link in their homepage to do so.

I just filed two fraud complaints.

My account is still frozen, and no payments have been made since the fraud.

As soon as I get their resolution, I don't know, I'll have to call them or e mail them to cancel my account.

I'm really sad, angry and worriedSad

10.Re:Ripped off by Paypal! [Re: Nico] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: OldFart
Posted on: Dec 21, 2007 7:59 AM

Nico wrote:

As soon as I get their resolution, I don't know, I'll have to call them or e mail them to cancel my account.

That's horrible !!

I feel for you Nico.

You're doing the right thing to resolve this.

Having to wait on other people to get this situation fixed is miserable, too. I hope they're able to get to the bottom of this quickly so you can move ahead without sustaining too much personal damage.

OldFart

11.Re:Ripped off by Paypal! [Re: Nico] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Dec 21, 2007 8:05 AM

The problem with this is that now that they have used YOU, they will move on and hit someone elses accounts. Thieves! Disregarding other human beings in the name of money.

Paypal did the right thing by freezing the account. Unfortunately you have to pay, but you cannot access your account until it is resolved, your credit card account that is. Hopefully you won't have any emergencies where quick cash is needed.

The damage is really desrtuctive to an individual. So sorry it had to happen to anyone, especially You Nico.

12.Re:Ripped off by Paypal! [Re: Nico] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: mr_dreadlocks
Posted on: Dec 21, 2007 8:09 AM

there is still a good side to this, because they've targeted you, they won't target you again, so there's less chance of this happening again.

13.Re:Ripped off by Paypal! [Re: Nico] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: tomcat
Posted on: Dec 21, 2007 8:19 AM

^flawed logic^^

this is just the kind of news i don't like to wake up and read Sad
sorry to hear it jorge. i hate hackers!

14.Re:Ripped off by Paypal! [Re: Nico] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Dec 21, 2007 8:39 AM

Thanks for your words guys.

Yes Jose, I hope now that they have done the damage, they don't pick on me again.

Eventhough the damage is done, your words confort meSmile

I really appreciate them!

Cheers!

15.Re:Ripped off by Paypal! [Re: Nico] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: Timekeep69
Posted on: Dec 21, 2007 9:12 AM

Nico,

Did you receive any emails from Paypal that asked you to log into your account to verify something? If so, you may have been phished. What they do is send you an email that looks like its from paypal. I've received them before, they're very convincing but if you mouse over the link they want you to go to, the actual address will show up. What happens is you think it's legit, go to log in, now they have your log in info and start shopping at your expense.

Paypal does not take any money out of your account to verify it, they make two tiny deposits, typically like 10 - 20 cents.

I've used paypal for many years and have had no problems with it.

16.Re:Ripped off by Paypal! [Re: Nico] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: pwc
Posted on: Dec 21, 2007 9:52 AM

I would hold the credit card payment until you have advised them as well as PayPal of all this. Getting money back is harder than not paying it and facing possible interest. But your credit card/bank may have solutions.

17.Re:Ripped off by Paypal! [Re: Nico] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Dec 21, 2007 11:24 AM

PJ
I received an e mail just like the one you described, but I didn't answer it.Stupid

You got a point Peter, but interest rates here are extremely high, and this can take a good while. Called the credit card company, and eventhough I pay a monthly fee protecting me against this kind of scam, they say they can't do anything, and that I didn't notify I was using this card for electronic transactions, so the fraud policy only covers local buys.

18.Re:Ripped off by Paypal! [Re: Nico] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: ModernDrummer
Posted on: Dec 21, 2007 12:00 PM

Contact PayPay immediately, Jorge. You absolutely WILL be reimbursed for those charges.

Go to:

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_security-center-outside

Just a bit down the page on the left you'll find a box that says "Report A Problem". Just follow it from there, you'll get your money back.

19.Re:Ripped off by Paypal! [Re: Nico] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: JD1
Posted on: Dec 21, 2007 12:04 PM

Nico wrote:
I pay a monthly fee protecting me against this kind of scam, they say they can't do anything, and that I didn't notify I was using this card for electronic transactions, so the fraud policy only covers local buys.

Wow! did you know of that.
Did the Credit card co. point that fact out to you?
That seems a lil' shady on the part of the credit card co.Stupid
not to protect you.

I have been using Paypal successfully for over 8yrs.
With over 500+ transactions and never a problem.
I thought paypal is supposed to be "protected" (protect you)
from just this type of scam too.

Do you have any type of "hacker" protection on your computer?
It also seems paypal (owned by ebay) would have protection too.
Seems someone has hacked your computer for C.C. info. or maybe
someone (ass hole) has gone through your mail box?
Identity theft - is a HUGE issue here in America too. Millions
every year. You use a document shredder right?

Damn Nico.... I hate to wake up and read this type of thread
Kinda scares me being that it happened to (you) a friend.
I'm sorry this happened to you....You read about it and see this
on the news every other day....But I have never met anyone who
has fallen victim of Identity Theft.

It just seems that some how you should be a little more protected
through your CC co. & Paypal.

20.Re:Ripped off by Paypal! [Re: Nico] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Dec 21, 2007 12:09 PM

i pm'd nico this morning about the CC protection option to see if he had it.
you have to read the fine print with those CC guys, although I'm not surprised they have a disclaimer on the electronic funds thats probably buried in the 3 pages of policy in fine print.
for sure call paypal and see what their policy is if you haven't done so already jorge.

21.Re:Ripped off by Paypal! [Re: Nico] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: RvJim
Posted on: Dec 21, 2007 1:03 PM

I am also sorry that this happened to a genuinely nice guy. There are more deserving folk than you out there!

But as far as I know Paypal will reimburse you to compensate.

22.Re:Ripped off by Paypal! [Re: Nico] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Dec 21, 2007 1:26 PM

Thanks JB, already did Thumbs up

Thanks for your comments JD, Tom and RVSmile

I really hope Paypal reimburse my loss.

Cheers!

23.Re:Ripped off by Paypal! [Re: Nico] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: Geordie_Da
Posted on: Dec 21, 2007 1:29 PM

This sort of thing rarely happens - and remember Paypal has not ripped you off, a third party has. Paypal is an incredibly secure way to pay and the only way your account can be hacked is if someone gets your password. This can happen in a few ways: if you used a wireless internet connection it's easier for people to intercept your info, or if you saved your details on a public computer, or if you fell foul of an email phishing scam. But, normally there are procedures in place so you don't lose money and I would look into them. Paypal are normally very good at sorting this sort of thing out. Good luck.

G.Da

24.Re:Ripped off by Paypal! [Re: Nico] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Dec 21, 2007 1:32 PM

You're so right Geordie, very true.
It's not Paypal who ripped me off, it was a third party.

I will change the topic asap!

The weird thing here is:
1) I don't ever use a wireless connection.
2) I only make internet transactions using my private office PC
3) I never log into suspicious websites

StupidReally makes me wonderQuestion

This means, we are NEVER safeSad

25.Re:Ripped off by Paypal! [Re: Nico] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Dec 21, 2007 1:39 PM

Nico wrote:
StupidReally makes me wonderQuestion

This means, we are NEVER safeSad

Never totally safe, no, but still pretty safe. I'd be interested to know what happened in this instance if you get to the bottom of it. Someone somehow got your password, and the only question is how they did it. Weird. But, first, you need to try to get your money back and I hope you do - it's a crappy time of year to fall foul of a scam like this.

G.Da

26.Re:My Paypal account got ripped off! [Re: Nico] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Dec 21, 2007 1:44 PM

I just noticed something: You said the email telling you your account was frozen was sent and opened by you BEFORE you discovered the money had gone. Are you sure this email was actually from Paypal? It could be that it's a phishing scam and opening it allowed hackers to get your cash. Did you use any links in this email to go to the paypal site? If you did you may have been directed to a site that LOOKS like Paypal but is actually fake and if you entered your details then the hackers got your password via this method. I find it odd that Paypal would send an email telling you your account was frozen because they suspected a third party at work. Normally they wait until a customer contacts THEM about suspicious transactions rather than take this kind of action.

I'd put money on that first email being fake.

G.Da

27.Re:My Paypal account got ripped off! [Re: Geordie_Da] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: Timekeep69
Posted on: Dec 21, 2007 1:53 PM

Geordie_Da wrote:
I just noticed something: You said the email telling you your account was frozen was sent and opened by you BEFORE you discovered the money had gone. Are you sure this email was actually from Paypal? It could be that it's a phishing scam and opening it allowed hackers to get your cash. Did you use any links in this email to go to the paypal site? If you did you may have been directed to a site that LOOKS like Paypal but is actually fake and if you entered your details then the hackers got your password via this method. I find it odd that Paypal would send an email telling you your account was frozen because they suspected a third party at work. Normally they wait until a customer contacts THEM about suspicious transactions rather than take this kind of action.

G.Da

That was my exact point. I've received those emails many times (actually I still get them). The first time I got one I probably would have fallen for it had it not come to an email address that wasn't connected to a paypal account.

I think you got phished.

28.Re:My Paypal account got ripped off! [Re: Nico] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Dec 21, 2007 2:09 PM

No, I didn't follow any links from that email.

I figure there must be many ways to scam through the internet; I just fell into one of those traps without me knowing itSad

Oh well, I've changed my password now, and I'm checking every hour for any unauthorized payments, with luck so far. None had been made since November 12th, which was when I got the email from Paypal.

I hope this turns out good for me; the thing that bothers me more is the fact, that with those $80, I would've been able to buy nicer gifts for my kidsSadSad

Oh well, we are healthy and together...that's all that matters.

I'm grateful that only $80 were ripped. They could've taken all my credit card limitShock

Again, thanks guys for backing me up!

Cheers!

29.Re:Ripped off by Paypal! [Re: Nico] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Dec 21, 2007 3:02 PM

Nico wrote:

The weird thing here is:
1) I don't ever use a wireless connection.
2) I only make internet transactions using my private office PC
3) I never log into suspicious websites

does anyone have access to your office pc. is it password protected if someone did get to it?

30.Re:Ripped off by Paypal! [Re: tomcat] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Dec 21, 2007 3:41 PM

tomcat wrote:
does anyone have access to your office pc. is it password protected if someone did get to it?

Nope, nobody has access to my office PC; and yes, it's password protected.

Weird isn't it?Disapproved

31.Re:My Paypal account got ripped off! [Re: Geordie_Da] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: Crusher
Posted on: Dec 21, 2007 5:40 PM

Geordie_Da wrote:

G.Da

I got those before and guess what? I don't have a paypal account! I get them from Ebay also and yep don't have an account there either!

32.Re:Ripped off by Paypal! [Re: mr_dreadlocks] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Dec 21, 2007 6:58 PM

mr_dreadlocks wrote:
there is still a good side to this, because they've targeted you, they won't target you again, so there's less chance of this happening again.

Sorry to this man but you are dead wrong. In my past I have known many thieves. If they got you once they will come back and get you again at THEIR convienance or they sell the information to someone else who then gets you.

33.Re:My Paypal account got ripped off! [Re: Crusher] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Dec 22, 2007 7:22 AM

Crusher wrote:
I got those before and guess what? I don't have a paypal account! I get them from Ebay also and yep don't have an account there either!

Yup, the phishers just throw these emails out across cyberspace in the hope that someone falls into their trap. I think that Ebay always use your name in the subject of any email they send, so if you ever get an email claiming to come from Ebay that doesn't have your name in the subject line then it isn't genuine.

G.Da

34.Re:My Paypal account got ripped off! [Re: Nico] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Dec 22, 2007 8:36 AM

i sold a 2oo2 crash on ebay in oct and before i could invoice the buyer the a scammer had already emailed him trying to con him! luckily he emailed me and askd what was going on and I told him he was being played.

i have a official looking check for $1500 from some scammers that tried the "over pay you" scam then tell you to wire the excess funds back to them. i played along with them and when i got the check i told them I was broke and could they paypal me $20 for the taxi to take me to the bank haha!
we went back and forth but i never did get them on it.

35.Re:My Paypal account got ripped off! [Re: Nico] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: cflyer
Posted on: Jan 11, 2008 11:41 PM

Hey all. I too just got a suspicious charge on my CC. I found this thread by google searching it. it came up with Nico's post.

Here are the details for mine:
Transaction Date:  01/06/2008
Transaction Description: PAYPAL *AUTOTRADERC 4029357733 CA

Charge:  $27.00
Merchant Address:  
PAYPAL INC
2145 HAMILTON AVE
SAN JOSE CA 95125-5905
USA
Merchant Type:   INTRNT P2P CNSMR PMT
Doing Business As:  MARK PAYPAL

It shows "Paypal" as the culprit and the address is ebay's. The merchant type is interesting...internet p2p consumer payment? No idea what that is! I called my CC company and they said they would investigate. So weird! I did use Paypal...but on the 8th. other than that I never used this CC for online purchases in the last few months. And whats also weird is i dont even have this CC listed in paypal!

Just wanted to share my story incase someone else comes across this. I hope the scammers get caught!

36.Re:My Paypal account got ripped off! [Re: Nico] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Jan 19, 2008 5:58 AM

Good newsBig Smile

Paypal reimbursed(sp) the money!

All who said Paypal took care of it's account holders were so right.

I'm so relieved now.

Cheers!

37.Re:My Paypal account got ripped off! [Re: Nico] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Jan 19, 2008 6:16 AM

Nico wrote:
Good newsBig Smile

Paypal reimbursed(sp) the money!

All who said Paypal took care of it's account holders were so right.

I'm so relieved now.

Cheers!

So glad to hear that. See good things do happen to good people.

38.Re:My Paypal account got ripped off! [Re: Crusher] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: pwc
Posted on: Jan 19, 2008 6:19 AM

Good news Jorge.
Spend it wisely .... Cool

39.Re:My Paypal account got ripped off! [Re: Nico] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Jan 19, 2008 6:37 AM

Thanks guysBig SmileBig Smile

Oh, I've already spent it, paying the X mas bills...LOL!Smile

40.Re:My Paypal account got ripped off! [Re: Nico] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Jan 19, 2008 6:40 AM

got it-n-gone! hehe
good or you jorge Thumbs up

41.Re:My Paypal account got ripped off! [Re: Nico] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: ModernDrummer
Posted on: Jan 19, 2008 1:24 PM

There ya go Jorge. Just as stated.

Glad to hear it was resolved correctly. Thumbs up

42.Re:My Paypal account got ripped off! [Re: Nico] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: brad_leishman
Posted on: Jan 20, 2008 7:37 AM

Paypal has been a target for criminals. Here was the attempted scam on me. I went to use the paypal account, I got a prompt saying something like "security may have been compromised, click here. This is the scam, when you "click here", it sends you to the criminal's bogus website, and they try to get you to send them info under the guise of PayPal Security.

When I phoned PayPal, they said this prompt or security webite had absolutely nothing to do with them and it was a scam. They asked me to do all this crap to eliminate the risk. So I cancelled the account completely. If paypal can't secure their operation, to hell with them.

43.Re:My Paypal account got ripped off! [Re: Nico] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: syncopation
Posted on: Jan 21, 2008 1:30 PM

I used to have a paypal account until one long weekend, when the banks were closed, someone took out $800.00, and another withdrawl (payment) to a jewely commpany for $950.00.
I hadn't made any of those purchases. I wrote paypal, said I wasn't paying, and they took it off my account, but I am no longer able to log into paypal or get a new account unless I change my email address, etc..
I didn't have to pay, but no longer use paypal at all.

Sometimes your the bug...sometimes your the windshield.

That is the pits that this happened to you. I do hope that it all gets straightened out for you.

44.Re:My Paypal account got ripped off! [Re: cflyer] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: JJRINGP
Posted on: Jul 22, 2009 10:36 AM

Just got ripped off by the sam Mark Paypal with same address and everything. Paypal will not do anything about it. Did you get it taken care of?

45.Re:Ripped off by Paypal! [Re: Nico] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: jbscoops92
Posted on: Jul 22, 2009 4:46 PM

Nico wrote:

I don't blame you, I would feel the exact you feel now! I'm with you.

Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 64 milliseconds