Topic: wood block on snare rim

Print this page

1.wood block on snare rim Copy to clipboard
Posted by: jkov
Posted on: Jan 31, 2009 5:31 PM

i am looking for a specific cross stick sound for live performances without having to do a traditional cross stick method... i have seen this sort of wood block style thing mounted to a snare. i cant find anything online about it though! its very frustrating

can someone please shoot me a link or at least a product name of something that may help me out

2.Re:wood block on snare rim [Re: jkov] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: Boettcher68
Posted on: Jan 31, 2009 5:39 PM

Something like this?

http://www.russmiller.com/productswedge.htm

3.Re:wood block on snare rim [Re: jkov] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: Densbak
Posted on: Jan 31, 2009 5:47 PM

They make these little blast blocks. I had one at one time and had it mounted under the hi hats (to the left). It was cool, but I learned to adjust to playing cross stick. Kept me on my toes.

4.Re:wood block on snare rim [Re: jkov] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: paul
Posted on: Jan 31, 2009 6:37 PM

If you want the sound of a cross stick, you have to play a cross stick. Jam blocks are nice, but they have their own sound.

5.Re:wood block on snare rim [Re: paul] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: Hcso506
Posted on: Jan 31, 2009 7:12 PM

paul wrote:
If you want the sound of a cross stick, you have to play a cross stick. Jam blocks are nice, but they have their own sound.

Jam blaocks have a Latin sound to me.Best to just cross stick IMO.

6.Re:wood block on snare rim [Re: jkov] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: pwc
Posted on: Jan 31, 2009 7:19 PM

The reason I went to wood rims is for a particular cross stick sound. By varying hand and thus stick position I can get a wide variety of sounds that are preferable to a wood block or "wedge". But that's just me.

7.Re:wood block on snare rim [Re: Boettcher68] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: StillKicken
Posted on: Feb 2, 2009 4:45 AM

Boettcher68 wrote:
Something like this?

http://www.russmiller.com/productswedge.htm

If you do not have wood rims the wedge is an amazing tool. I have one and it's probably the best $30.00 I have spent for any drumming tool.

You do have to use cross stick action to use it though.

Sherm

8.Re:wood block on snare rim [Re: jkov] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: RvJim
Posted on: Feb 2, 2009 4:51 AM

I agree with the above, wood blocks sound like wood blocks, cross sticks sounds like cross sticks. I personally like cross stick on brass die cast rims or hard wood hoops.

9.Re:wood block on snare rim [Re: jkov] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: Geordie_Da
Posted on: Feb 2, 2009 4:54 AM

There are various jam blocks, wood blocks and blast blocks out there, but I agree - none of them sound like a cross stick. If you are looking for a chunkier cross stick sound then perhaps some species of wooden hoops is what you are looking for.

G.Da

10.Re:wood block on snare rim [Re: jkov] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: Hcso506
Posted on: Feb 2, 2009 2:40 PM

No to toot my own horn,but my Gretsch Catalina Club Birch snare probally has the best cross stick sound I have ever heard,and I get alot of comments and compliments about it.

11.Re:wood block on snare rim [Re: Geordie_Da] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: Yojan
Posted on: Feb 3, 2009 12:55 AM

Geordie_Da wrote:
There are various jam blocks, wood blocks and blast blocks out there, but I agree - none of them sound like a cross stick. If you are looking for a chunkier cross stick sound then perhaps some species of wooden hoops is what you are looking for.

G.Da

It's been a while since I've typed it... but I agree with G.Da. Maybe I should just put that in my sig. Wink

12.Re:wood block on snare rim [Re: jkov] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Feb 3, 2009 4:04 AM

Big Smile

G.Da

13.Re:wood block on snare rim [Re: Geordie_Da] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: tomcat
Posted on: Feb 3, 2009 11:20 AM

Geordie_Da wrote:
If you are looking for a chunkier cross stick sound then perhaps some species of wooden hoops is what you are looking for.

die cast hoops on the snare will improve your cross stick sound many fold over regular flanged hoops, when i replaced them on my black beauty snare the difference in cross stick sound was like nite and day

14.Re:wood block on snare rim [Re: jkov] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Feb 4, 2009 12:59 AM

I agree with that, but much prefer wood to die cast myself.

G.Da

15.Re:wood block on snare rim [Re: jkov] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: TOWnea
Posted on: Feb 4, 2009 1:18 PM

yamaha makes a item called a wedge

i want to say that make them in a couple different sizes (and some even come with tamborine jingles)

creates a very warm/focus cross sticking sound

Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 22 milliseconds