Topic: is it clever to have the same heads both sides on all drums?

Print this page

1.is it clever to have the same heads both sides on all drums? Copy to clipboard
Posted by: jonnyboy231
Posted on: Jan 3, 2011 3:24 PM

when i get my pearl vision kit i was thinking of getting remo pinstripes (because aparently they are good for metal) and i was wandering is it a good idea to get pinstripes on both sides of every drum? or not? if no whats more adivsable for a drumhead newbie like me?

2.Re:is it clever to have the same heads both sides on all [Re: jonnyboy231] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: RvJim
Posted on: Jan 3, 2011 5:47 PM

Pinstripes will work fine for batter heads but not for resonant heads. Typically, you should always put single ply heads on the resonant side - I would recommend using ambassador heads.

3.he same heads both sides on all drums? [Re: jonnyboy231] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: BrandonPorter
Posted on: Jan 4, 2011 5:16 AM

^^+1

4.Re:is it clever ,,,, [Re: jonnyboy231] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: pwc
Posted on: Jan 4, 2011 5:45 AM

Single ply Ambassador heads can work on both sides of toms, but not for snare where a proper snare side head is needed on the bottom. Pinstripes top and bottom would not work on toms however nor would I suggest them for snare top (batter side).

5.Re:is it clever to have the same heads [Re: jonnyboy231] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: pbloxam
Posted on: Jan 4, 2011 6:14 AM

While its not the norm it has been done and all comments are personal preferences and by no means fact. It can be done. I have seen evans hyd top and bottom and many others...emp over emp, black dot over bd...Nothing is set in stone or"right/wrong"

6.Re:is it clever to have the same heads both sides? [Re: jonnyboy231] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: StillKicken
Posted on: Jan 4, 2011 8:20 PM

I agree with all of the above. I'm using Fiberskyn top and bottom on my toms now. As Peter said above, I would not use that combination on snare. Although it could be done on bass, I chose not to in my case with Fiberskyn PS3 as reso I'm using Coated Ambassador PS3 for the batter side to get more punch.

Sherm

PS: In the future try to make your subject titles shorter, it will make it easer to reply to your post.

Welcome to the forum!!!

7.Re:is it clever to have the same heads [Re: pbloxam] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Jan 5, 2011 8:44 AM

pbloxam wrote:
While its not the norm it has been done and all comments are personal preferences and by no means fact. It can be done. I have seen evans hyd top and bottom and many others...emp over emp, black dot over bd...Nothing is set in stone or"right/wrong"

yeah tahnks but i know obvioudly i can do whatever i want but i just want them to sound awesome! im thinking about either emps batter and ambassador resonant hows that? would that sound nice do you think on a mapex horizon hzb kit?

8.eads both sides on all drums? [Re: jonnyboy231] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Jan 5, 2011 9:10 AM

emps for batter and ambassadors for reso will sound great.

Go for it, that combination is used by many drummers here on Remo--including me and RevJim.

9.Re:is it clever to have the same heads [Re: jonnyboy231] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: pbloxam
Posted on: Jan 5, 2011 9:43 AM

jonnyboy231 wrote:
yeah tahnks but i know obvioudly i can do whatever i want but i just want them to sound awesome! im thinking about either emps batter and ambassador resonant hows that? would that sound nice do you think on a mapex horizon hzb kit?

It should sound great!! As many say, a lot of people use this combo..

What you don't say is what kind of sound you are looking for...

Wide open? Slightly muffled/muted?, completely muffled?

I would hate for you to spend 150 bucks and not like the sound and blame me or Brandon or anyone else...

You sound young, have years in front of you to try heads and make your own decision...

It took me 20 years or more before I settled on a sound that appeased me...

In that time, I tried every manufacturer and style of head...
Costly, but in the end, I chose Remo...

I prefer an open sound so for me single ply over single ply for max volume, attack and projection...

Just got my order of Remo black suede ambassadors going over clear ambis as rezo's...

Hope you like what you get and you achieve the awesome sound you desire!!

Peace!!

10.Re:is it clever to have the same heads [Re: pbloxam] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Jan 6, 2011 11:27 AM

pbloxam wrote:
It should sound great!! As many say, a lot of people use this combo..

What you don't say is what kind of sound you are looking for...

Wide open? Slightly muffled/muted?, completely muffled?

I would hate for you to spend 150 bucks and not like the sound and blame me or Brandon or anyone else...

You sound young, have years in front of you to try heads and make your own decision...

It took me 20 years or more before I settled on a sound that appeased me...

In that time, I tried every manufacturer and style of head...
Costly, but in the end, I chose Remo...

I prefer an open sound so for me single ply over single ply for max volume, attack and projection...

Just got my order of Remo black suede ambassadors going over clear ambis as rezo's...

Hope you like what you get and you achieve the awesome sound you desire!!

Peace!!

urm thats the thing im not actually sure what type of sound im going for... or what would sound nice on the kit im going to get and i do metal drumming if that's any help

11.ds both sides on all drums? [Re: jonnyboy231] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Jan 6, 2011 12:07 PM

While there is no hard and fast rule about drum head choice, many people who play rock/metal use clear pinstripes over clear ambassadors.

That's not set in stone, however. I play rock occasionally, and when I do I use my ebony suede emperors.

To go back to your original question, it is probably not the best choice to put a thick head on both the batter and reso side. The resonant side is called so because it is supposed to resonate, or vibrate and create sound. An extremely thick head that's muffled (like pinstripes) will be hindered in this and may sound dead and lifeless. Most of the sound the audience hears from your drum comes from the reso (unless you play miced), so you want to choose your resos as carefully as you choose the batter head.

Again, there is no rule and you can do this if you want. But I'd guess that more than 90% of drummers out there use a single ply, clear head like ambassador for their resonant side.

12.Is it clever... [Re: jonnyboy231] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: drummer5359
Posted on: Jan 14, 2011 1:17 PM

I'm putting together a kit for my "metal-head" nephew and I'm using pinstripes over clear ambassadors.

I think that it would be a good place for you to start.

Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 23 milliseconds