Topic: Clear vs. Coated

Print this page

1.Clear vs. Coated Copy to clipboard
Posted by: MadScientist
Posted on: Apr 18, 2006 1:59 PM

Which is better to use for a tom? I've had some people tell me that a clear head is, and some that say coated is.
I will be buying some new heads (I have the ones that came with it, still) and would like to know which would be better sounding.
Thanks in advance!
rock on.

2.Re:Clear vs. Coated [Re: MadScientist] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: LinchDrumPin
Posted on: Apr 18, 2006 2:31 PM

There is no "better" sounding. It depends on what you are looking for. A nice warm round tone or a open attack and rather bright sound.

A coated head will give you the warm round tone
A clear head will give you the open attack and rather bright sound.

Either way might I suggest 2 ply heads like the Remo Emperor Clear or Coated (depending on what you want).

3.Re:Clear vs. Coated [Re: MadScientist] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: emo_metal
Posted on: Apr 18, 2006 6:06 PM

read the rules before posting

4.Re:Clear vs. Coated [Re: MadScientist] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: vanhalen5150
Posted on: Apr 20, 2006 9:27 AM

I have clear emporers and couldn't be more satisfied. Perfect amount of sustain, attack, volume, etc. Its perfect for me. It just depends on what you are looking for.

There are a few sticky threads you may want to look at and that should give you enough info to make the right decision.

5.Re:Clear vs. Coated [Re: MadScientist] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: moneyowen
Posted on: Apr 20, 2006 11:21 AM

The sound difference between coated and clear heads is very slight. You couldn't tell with a blindfold on.

6.Re:Clear vs. Coated [Re: moneyowen] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Apr 20, 2006 11:33 AM

moneyowen wrote:
The sound difference between coated and clear heads is very slight. You couldn't tell with a blindfold on.

I know I could tell the difference easily.

7.Re:Clear vs. Coated [Re: LinchDrumPin] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: vanhalen5150
Posted on: Apr 20, 2006 4:35 PM

LinchDrumPin wrote:

I think I would be able to also. This would be a good debate question but I doubt it will get many posts. I mean its the same head and all but there still is, to me, a noticeable difference IMHO.

8.Re:Clear vs. Coated [Re: LinchDrumPin] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: remodrummer90
Posted on: Apr 21, 2006 6:25 PM

LinchDrumPin wrote:

Honestly, I think I could easily tell also. I mean, if you know what you are talking about...then you know what your listening for.

PeAcE yO!
-nick

9.Re:Clear vs. Coated [Re: MadScientist] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: remodrummer90
Posted on: Apr 21, 2006 6:28 PM

oh...and just to bring this up. Have any of you ever noticed how crappy feeling Evans coating is? I mean, I can tell blindfolded if you put an evans coated g2 in one hand, and a remo coated emperor in the other...I could tell you in a drumbeat wich is wich. It feels so plasticy, and when cranked on a snare, it seems like it stretches and thins out. I dont know...maybe its just me, but I prefer Remo coated heads over anyones.

PeAcE yO!
-nick

10.Re:Clear vs. Coated [Re: MadScientist] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: swingdrummer
Posted on: Apr 21, 2006 9:39 PM

Guys, I am so sorry for endorsing another drum head company, but i have found the most amazing tom head the "Attack Two-Ply Clear with tone ridge" they've got some new matereral that they use which is a s*** load easier to tune than mylar. Not doggin REMO at all, all my percussionist use REMO on the feild and I use REMO on my snares on my set, but these tom heads are sumin else, check them out!

11.Re:Clear vs. Coated [Re: swingdrummer] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Apr 22, 2006 11:45 AM

swingdrummer wrote:
Guys, I am so sorry for endorsing another drum head company, but i have found the most amazing tom head the "Attack Two-Ply Clear with tone ridge" they've got some new matereral that they use which is a s*** load easier to tune than mylar. Not doggin REMO at all, all my percussionist use REMO on the feild and I use REMO on my snares on my set, but these tom heads are sumin else, check them out!

Well did you know the Attack Bozzio series heads are made with the EXACT same mylar film Remo uses?

...well now you do!

Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 84 milliseconds