Topic: Deeper Floor Tom Sound

Print this page

1.Deeper Floor Tom Sound Copy to clipboard
Posted by: BrandonPorter
Posted on: May 30, 2006 9:42 AM

Hey guys, any suggestions on how to make my floor tom sound deeper (I mean lower frequency)? I have a 14" floor tom(my toms are 8, 10, 12, and 14) and it just doesn't have that deep bass sound like a 16" would. Any suggestions? Are there certain heads that might help me achieve this?
I've tuned it as low as I can while still not having it sound like a fart flapping in the wind. Thanks.

2.Re:Deeper Floor Tom Sound [Re: BrandonPorter] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: pwc
Posted on: May 30, 2006 9:48 AM

A 14" will never sound like a 16" unfortunately. Apart from tuning the reso lower than the batter and maybe muffling the batter I do not know what to suggest. To my ears muffling seems to lower pitch a bit and that's why I don't muffle my toms which I like tuned higher than most. Pinstripes may give you a lower pitch than Ambs.

3.Re:Deeper Floor Tom Sound [Re: BrandonPorter] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: NOTtoeknee
Posted on: May 30, 2006 9:50 AM

heads are only going to add character to the drum you have

no head will make it sound "larger" then it is (thats mostly done with mincing and mix)

in short... your never going to make that 14 sound like a 16

my suggestion is to tune the top head as low as you can take it for feel (ie - don't sacrifice your feel of playing for the tune you want to play in) and then tune the bottom head just a ittle higher than the top one

good luck

4.Re:Deeper Floor Tom Sound [Re: BrandonPorter] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: paul
Posted on: May 30, 2006 11:08 AM

Want the sound of a 16" tom? Buy one.

5.Re:Deeper Floor Tom Sound [Re: BrandonPorter] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: May 30, 2006 5:18 PM

Paul,

I have to say I'm disappointed in your response.

Firstly, if you notice I didn't say that I wanted it to sound like a 16" floor tom, only that I wanted it to sound deeper.

Secondly, if I had the almost $400 it would take to buy a 16" floor tom for my kit, I would. Hence the post.

Since I started in this forum, I have always seen you as one of the wiser and more mature members. I have seen you as one who always tries to help and offers good advice because you are experienced and you seem to genuinely want to help.

Responses like yours today help no one. Do you think that if I could buy one I would? I was suprised to read that from you.

Granted I have not always had the most helpful responses, but I try not to be a smart as*; especially when it's not warranted.

I guess I just didn't expect that from you. Sad

6.Re:Deeper Floor Tom Sound [Re: BrandonPorter] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: drsteve
Posted on: May 30, 2006 5:36 PM

What are you talking about? There's not much else Paul could have said, his post was right on. Your original post even explicitly said "it just doesn't have that deep bass sound like a 16" would", implying that you want the sound of a 16" tom. And the simple fact is that there is no way to make a drum sound bigger than it naturally is. What are you complaining about?

7.Re:Deeper Floor Tom Sound [Re: drsteve] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: sheep
Posted on: May 30, 2006 5:50 PM

drsteve wrote:
What are you talking about? There's not much else Paul could have said, his post was right on. Your original post even explicitly said "it just doesn't have that deep bass sound like a 16" would", implying that you want the sound of a 16" tom. And the simple fact is that there is no way to make a drum sound bigger than it naturally is. What are you complaining about?

Yeah, absolutely right.
Paul's post didn't mean to harm.

He just simply tells you that if you want a 16" sound, the only way is buying a 16" tom.

And btw, your post does look like you want a 16" sound.

8.Re:Deeper Floor Tom Sound [Re: BrandonPorter] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: RvJim
Posted on: May 30, 2006 6:38 PM

I also have to agree... I couldn't get a deep enough tone off my 14" tom so I spent a year saving to buy a 16" one.

9.Re:Deeper Floor Tom Sound [Re: BrandonPorter] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: lilblakdak
Posted on: May 30, 2006 8:38 PM

Buy a 16". A drum will only go so low.

10.Re:Deeper Floor Tom Sound [Re: BrandonPorter] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: NOTtoeknee
Posted on: May 30, 2006 8:53 PM

your free to ask a question and paul is free to answer it

and he was right on the money

11.Re:Deeper Floor Tom Sound [Re: BrandonPorter] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: May 31, 2006 4:37 AM

OK it seems as if I'm the one in the wrong here.

I publicly apologize Paul. I should not have been so harsh.

Paul's reply at first seemed quite smug and curt, but I guess looking back he didn't mean to be a smart as*.

Paul, my apologies.

12.Re:Deeper Floor Tom Sound [Re: BrandonPorter] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: Texray1
Posted on: May 31, 2006 4:54 AM

Is a new tom really 400 dollars? Wow.

13.Re:Deeper Floor Tom Sound [Re: BrandonPorter] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: RvJim
Posted on: May 31, 2006 5:20 AM

My 16" tom cost me $AUST1800, approx $US1350

14.Re:Deeper Floor Tom Sound [Re: BrandonPorter] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: May 31, 2006 6:14 AM

I don't know how much 16" floor toms cost for anyone else, but for my kit, to get one to match, it would cost me around $360 USD. That's a lot of money to me...

I have other priorities which must come first: wife, kids, bills, etc... Not much room for an extra floor tom in the budget, but I guess I could save $20 here and there, and after a while I'd have the $400.

15.Re:Deeper Floor Tom Sound [Re: BrandonPorter] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: Nico
Posted on: May 31, 2006 7:13 AM

BrandonPorter wrote:
......but I guess I could save $20 here and there, and after a while I'd have the $400.

That's exactly what I do. And what do you know, BAM, money's thereBig Smile
I had almost the same problem, but the other way around. I always wanted my 10" tom to sound like an 8", and after trying different heads and tuning, I found out it was impossible, so I bought one.
Maybe the right answer would've been, to tune it lower. But all the tone would've gone (you had already answered yourselfWink).
Save my friend, and get your matching floor tom.
Be thankful that you can. I was lucky enough to find a remo bravo 8" black tom (my kit is emerald green wrap), and had to go through an ordeal to get it to be green, and still it looks kind of weirdTongue
Cheers!

16.Re:Deeper Floor Tom Sound [Re: BrandonPorter] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: Texray1
Posted on: May 31, 2006 9:39 AM

Man, I guess I got a good deal on my used Slingerlands. I have a 16 inch floor tom and I only paid 250.00 for all 5 pieces plus hardware and some cymbals (ZBT's but still usable).
I guess it's hard to by a single shell used to match the rest of your drums so I can understand why you are looking at new ones.

17.Re:Deeper Floor Tom Sound [Re: BrandonPorter] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: drummerdad
Posted on: May 31, 2006 9:53 AM

A quick look on ebay yielded MANY 16" floor toms for around $75 plus shipping. Why not go that route, and re-wrap to match your set?

18.Re:Deeper Floor Tom Sound [Re: drummerdad] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: May 31, 2006 10:13 AM

drummerdad wrote:
A quick look on ebay yielded MANY 16" floor toms for around $75 plus shipping. Why not go that route, and re-wrap to match your set?

If my eyes don't deceive me, Brandon's kit has a lacquered finish. Much more difficult, if not expensive to get it to match.
Cheers!

19.Re:Deeper Floor Tom Sound [Re: BrandonPorter] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: May 31, 2006 10:41 AM

I feel honored to have so many people come to my defense. I didn't mean to sound smug, Brandon, but there's just no way to make a 14 sound like a 16. Different head combinations will give you a deeper sounding drum and even a lower tuning, but it's never going to get down to a 16's range.

That's also why I dislike using "fusion" sets for rock. I don't think the toms are big enough for a good rock sound, especially when grouped with a 22" bass drum. It just doesn't make sense to me. (But what do I know? I'm OLD!!)

I don't know if this will work for you, but I throw all my change in a can at the end of the day when I empty my pockets. Whenever the can gets heavy I roll the coins up and stash them in a drawer. When there's enough stored away I buy something utterly frivolous, but never use it to pay bills or do anything useful. In the past I've bought drum gear, fishing tackle, and even got my 22" K Custom ride brand new with $300 that was stashed away. Right now there's almost $200 in the "bank" waiting for me to decide what I "need." It's a painless way (for me) to save a little money to have some fun with, and might eventually get you a bigger floor tom. 10/12/14/16 is a good setup anyway, and worth working for.

20.Re:Deeper Floor Tom Sound [Re: BrandonPorter] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: vanhalen5150
Posted on: May 31, 2006 1:30 PM

Hey I do that too. Very VERY easy way to make money. Find some kind of cup or coffee can or something to store your change in and before you know it you will have a lot to spend. Now I havent bought anything worth as much as a K Custom Ride or anything but every now and then when a stick breaks, vwalla, I have the change right there and dont have to worry about waiting for money to buy new sticks.

It really works and its easy. You should try it!

21.Re:Deeper Floor Tom Sound [Re: paul] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: pgdrums
Posted on: May 31, 2006 2:29 PM

paul wrote:
I don't know if this will work for you, but I throw all my change in a can at the end of the day when I empty my pockets.
That would have worked for me 10 years ago, but these days I use my debit card instead of cash whenever I can. Debit cards are now accepted at 90%+ of the places where I spend money, and more places are accepting them all the time.

I guess I'll just have to resort to gambling.

22.Re:Deeper Floor Tom Sound [Re: BrandonPorter] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: May 31, 2006 2:40 PM

Nico...you said Brandon's kit has a lacquered finish. Much more difficult, if not expensive to get it to match.

Who cares if it matches, as long as it sounds like he wants it to.

I know...I'm going to hell for those blasphemous statements...so then, I'll have a beer ready for you Paul (amongst others)!

23.Re:Deeper Floor Tom Sound [Re: drummerdad] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: May 31, 2006 3:05 PM

drummerdad wrote:
.....Who cares if it matches, as long as it sounds like he wants it to.

Very true Drummerdad.... but, he's got Starclassics, and someone who has quality drums may really care regarding finish. If you have a cheap set, it wouldn't matter (in my opinion).
Do you drum, drummerdad?
Cheers!

24.Re:Deeper Floor Tom Sound [Re: BrandonPorter] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: May 31, 2006 3:23 PM

If they're Starclassics, even better. Chances are it's a standard finish, so if you can't find one on ebay you can certainly order one from Tama. It might be a little pricey, but not as much as if it were a custom finish.

Personally, I'd watch ebay like a hawk, and be prepared to bid.

25.Re:Deeper Floor Tom Sound [Re: BrandonPorter] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: Densbak
Posted on: May 31, 2006 4:11 PM

Or you could do what Paul & I both did. Find individual drums in the same brand & refinish/wrap them to match. There is a lower sounding floor tom out there with your name on it. True, Hawks eat better than most other birds, because they are always looking for what they need!

26.Re:Deeper Floor Tom Sound [Re: BrandonPorter] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: StillKickinIt
Posted on: May 31, 2006 4:40 PM

I would think with all the possible wood stains available, it wouldn't be too difficult to get something real close to matching. Plus it's a floor tom that usually doesn't stand out very much in a standard set up. It'll be hiding behind your 14".
My snare that I rescued does not look like it is actually Maple, but when I sanded the shell down and oiled it...you really can't tell the difference from the dance floor.

You really should consider looking around and used stuff or ebay....save money and take some pride in your accomplishment.....and have that nice deep thump of a 16" tom.

27.Re:Deeper Floor Tom Sound [Re: BrandonPorter] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: May 31, 2006 4:50 PM

Thanks for all the ideas guys.

For those who don't remember, I have a Starclassic performer Birch kit. Right now I have 8, 10, 12, and 14 inch toms. A 16 would be a great addition. I have checked both Sam Ash and guitar center and to order one to match my Dark Cherry Fade finish is about $360 dollars.

I may look on ebay for a Starclassic tom that is just dark red or dark in color. As someone said, it probably won't be noticed and will sound like it's part of the kit.

Thanks again...

28.Re:Deeper Floor Tom Sound [Re: BrandonPorter] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Jun 1, 2006 4:07 AM

Brandon,

Just saw this on cragslist & thought you may be interested.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/msg/166732088.html

29.Re:Deeper Floor Tom Sound [Re: BrandonPorter] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: latindrummer
Posted on: Jun 1, 2006 6:36 AM

Save for a starclassic tom dude!Black Eye

30.Re:Deeper Floor Tom Sound [Re: BrandonPorter] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: lilblakdak
Posted on: Jun 1, 2006 7:22 AM

What finish is your kit? You could always buy a cheap used 16" and paint it to match. I've got one here I'll sell you.

Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 38 milliseconds