Topic: Pinstripes and powerstroke 3

Print this page

1.Pinstripes and powerstroke 3 Copy to clipboard
Posted by: LilDrmr
Posted on: Nov 8, 2006 4:57 PM

What's the difference between the 2? I figured I'd ask before buying, haha.

2.Re:Pinstripes and powerstroke 3 [Re: LilDrmr] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: RvJim
Posted on: Nov 8, 2006 5:01 PM

Pinstripes are 2 ply with the damping ring. PS3 is a 1 ply head with a damping ring... the damping rings are different in the Pins as they are in PS3 also. The PS3 will have more tone than than Pin does but will not last as long.

3.Re:Pinstripes and powerstroke 3 [Re: LilDrmr] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: Tim
Posted on: Nov 8, 2006 8:33 PM

And the thing with the "dampening ring" in the Pinstripe is that it's simply created from the outer edge being glued together. In case you ever wonder, there is nothing inside the 2 plies of the Pinstripes. Some people say there is oil in there. Nope, those oil-filled heads are the Evans Hydraulics. There's a thin layer of oil in those.

Oh, if you're only interested in 2-ply, compare the Powerstroke 4 and the Pinstripe. Like the Powerstroke 3, it has a dampening ring built-in on the underneath side.

4.Re:Pinstripes and powerstroke 3 [Re: LilDrmr] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: lifeofmusic
Posted on: Nov 9, 2006 1:11 AM

welcome back tim!
and thank you for beating me to the "no oil" description with the PINS.

5.Re:Pinstripes and powerstroke 3 [Re: Tim] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: J_Dempsey
Posted on: Nov 9, 2006 5:53 AM

Tim wrote:
Oh, if you're only interested in 2-ply, compare the Powerstroke 4 and the Pinstripe. Like the Powerstroke 3, it has a dampening ring built-in on the underneath side.

Are PS4s more like Emperors with a dampening ring, or Pinstripes with a dampening ring? Are the two plies glued together on PS4s?

6.Re:Pinstripes and powerstroke 3 [Re: Tim] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: lilblakdak
Posted on: Nov 9, 2006 8:58 AM

Tim wrote:
And the thing with the "dampening ring" in the Pinstripe is that it's simply created from the outer edge being glued together. In case you ever wonder, there is nothing inside the 2 plies of the Pinstripes. Some people say there is oil in there. Nope, those oil-filled heads are the Evans Hydraulics. There's a thin layer of oil in those.

Taken from the Remo site:
The well-known Clear PinstripeŽ heads are made with two 7 mil MylarŽ plys with a measured layer of a ring reducing agent applied between them at the outer edge of their trademark stripe to dampen high frequency overtones for warmer resonance.

I always thought there was nothing there as well until somebody pointed that out to me

7.Re:Pinstripes and powerstroke 3 [Re: LilDrmr] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Nov 9, 2006 12:17 PM

Um, hmm..

Remo's description perfectly agrees with me, however, their marketing language is different from my regular-guy language.

Their "measured layer of a ring reducing agent" is the glue I mentioned. That's why it's white, and kinda looks like spider webs. There's nothing in between the plies. But if you want to get technical, then yes, there's glue between the two plies. If you want to test my statement, then rip open a Pinstripe, and check it out. I did this nearly 10 years ago, and found the glue. I also found a funny smell, but that's a different story. Clown

Anyway, here's the real reason I'm replying:

J_Dempsey, to answer your question, the PS4's are just like PS3's: The PS4's are 2-ply with the built-in muffling ring, while to review, the PS3's are single ply with the built-in ring.

They're simple in design, as compared to the Pinstripe. The Pinstripe head is the only head Remo makes that has the outer edge of the 2 plies glued together with this "measured layer of a ring reducing agent". lol They make it sound so impressive! Sigh... marketing lingo. Ya just GOTTA love it!! Big Smile

8.Re:Pinstripes and powerstroke 3 [Re: lifeofmusic] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Nov 9, 2006 12:21 PM

lifeofmusic wrote:
welcome back tim!
and thank you for beating me to the "no oil" description with the PINS.

hehehe that's me. Big Smile

Thanks for welcoming me back!

9.Re:Pinstripes and powerstroke 3 [Re: LilDrmr] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: brad_leishman
Posted on: Nov 14, 2006 4:33 PM

In my experience, the powerstroke 3 is the superior sounding head. If you use a regular felt beater and a light impact pad (like the one remo makes), the PS3 head should last. However, if you like a wood beater (or say, the factory axis beater), the double-ply pin might be the way to go. Although, in my experience, using a wood beater is a + for sound but seems to eat through the head in no time, regardless of the ply.

10.Re:Pinstripes and powerstroke 3 [Re: LilDrmr] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: lifeofmusic
Posted on: Nov 15, 2006 1:11 AM

i am useing a ps3 with a small falam patch and a plastic dw beater.
it is lasing through some serious beating

Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2012 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 18 milliseconds