Topic: drum head types

Print this page

1.drum head types Copy to clipboard
Posted by: shrugs1434
Posted on: Jan 6, 2008 2:27 PM

So I've been playing drums for nearly a year, but honestly I am at a higher skill level than most one year drummers. Just yesterday I broke my first drum head on one of my toms. Until then I hadn't really thought about different drum heads, only tunings and such. So now I've been opened up to a whole new world of drumheads and I'm not exactly sure where to start. Ive been looking through the forums trying to find out the tonal and physical differences between different drum head materials and models.

Right now I own a 5pc Pearl Forum kit all with starting heads
14" snare
10" 12" 16" toms
20" bass (not sure of the depth)

I play a mix of rock, from Radiohead, to Led Zeppelin, to Tool. I'm looking for a mediumheavy progressive rock sound. Very punchy and warm, not booming, not too open, and medium to low sustain. To my knowledge so far I think it would be best for me to get coated heads for the batter side but the model is where I'm lost. Im not sure of the difference between the diplomats, emperors, ambassators, etc. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Shrugs

2.Re:drum head types [Re: shrugs1434] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: mr_dreadlocks
Posted on: Jan 6, 2008 2:37 PM

coated emperors may be the way to go. if you want a puncy sound with low sustain, clear pinstripes could be good.
but i would recommend getting coated emperors and if needed some moongel (that's blue sticky jelly damper pads you get and they are like tape, except reusable, and washable.)

3.Re:drum head types [Re: shrugs1434] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: kudoco
Posted on: Jan 6, 2008 2:42 PM

Diplomats are the thinner models, so they have longer sustain, they are most suited for the reso side, they are not very durable.

Ambassador is a good reso and batter if you are looking for a long sustain and open tone and you don't hit very hard.

Emperors are 2 ply, so they are more durable and have more attack and less sustain.

Powerstroke 3 is essentialy an ambassador head with a ring that eliminates higher frecuency

Powerstroke 4 is a 2 ply version of the ps3

4.Re:drum head types [Re: mr_dreadlocks] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Jan 6, 2008 2:45 PM

mr_dreadlocks wrote:
coated emperors may be the way to go. if you want a puncy sound with low sustain, clear pinstripes could be good.
but i would recommend getting coated emperors and if needed some moongel (that's blue sticky jelly damper pads you get and they are like tape, except reusable, and washable.)

A question about pinstripes. does the pinstripe actually act as a dampenor to take out rings, like a ringo? And you suggest coated emperors, what is the difference between a coated emperor and say a coated powerstroke or ambassador?

EDIT: thank you Kudoco for clearing that up. So coated emperors sounds like the way to go for toms. but would that also work well for snare and bass?

5.Re:drum head types [Re: shrugs1434] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: kudoco
Posted on: Jan 6, 2008 2:49 PM

shrugs1434 wrote:
A question about pinstripes. does the pinstripe actually act as a dampenor to take out rings, like a ringo? And you suggest coated emperors, what is the difference between a coated emperor and say a coated powerstroke or ambassador?

EDIT: thank you Kudoco for clearing that up. So coated emperors sounds like the way to go for toms. but would that also work well for snare and bass?

Yes, pinstripes are dampened.

Coated emperor is punchier, has more attack and more durability than a single ply head

What kind of sound are you looking for snare?

For the bass you can't go worng with a clear ps3 batter or powersonic and ebony ps3 reso

This thread may help you
http://www.remo.com/forum/post/view?bid=3&id=75111&sty=1&tpg=1&age=0

6.Re:drum head types [Re: kudoco] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Jan 6, 2008 2:57 PM

kudoco wrote:
This thread may help you
http://www.remo.com/forum/post/view?bid=3&id=75111&sty=1&tpg=1&age=0

Yes I read that thread earlier, so I've concluded coated emeperors for batter, but about reso, would an ambassador or diplomat fit best?

7.Re:drum head types [Re: shrugs1434] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: mr_dreadlocks
Posted on: Jan 6, 2008 3:05 PM

toms - emperors for batters and diplomats as resonant
kick - PS3 and ebony PS3

Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 13 milliseconds