Topic: Getting rid of the ring in my drums.

  Print this page

1.Getting rid of the ring in my drums. Copy to clipboard
Posted by: adamgergich
Posted on: Jan 19, 2009 9:38 PM

I recently purchased a brand new Yamaha Tour Custom and I am having problems with getting the ringing sound out of the toms and floor toms.

I have tryed tuning the yamaha skins that the kit came with but am unable to produce a non-ringing sound. I also placed bits of gaffer tape on them. But this did not work.

So I am asking you what skins I should buy, and what I can do to the skins to get rid of the ringing soung. (I have used "RemO's" before and they kept falling of due to my toms being angled)

Thank you for your help.

2.Re:Getting rid of the ring in my drums. [Re: adamgergich] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: Monkeypoo
Posted on: Jan 20, 2009 1:03 AM

if its that bad try powerstroke 3s for your batters (top heads). they have an underlying tone ring that will stop the bad overtones. if you prefer a fatter sound try powerstroke which is the 2 ply equivelent of the ps3.

3.Re:Getting rid of the ring in my drums. [Re: adamgergich] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: Tanimal
Posted on: Jan 20, 2009 5:08 AM

Coated emps over ambs is always a good warm combo.

4.Re:Getting rid of the ring in my drums. [Re: adamgergich] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: Texray1
Posted on: Jan 20, 2009 6:25 AM

And remember that if your drums are in a small room they are going to ring a lot more than if they are at a club or outside. The ring you are hearing would likely not be an issue in a bigger area.

Have you tried using any Moongel? It costs about 7 bucks at Guitar Center. It's little strips of gel stuff that you just stick on your drum and it removes a lot of the ring. A lot cheaper than buying new heads that may or may not do the trick.

5.Re:Getting rid of the ring in my drums. [Re: Monkeypoo] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: adamgergich
Posted on: Jan 20, 2009 5:10 PM

thanx alot, but for a set, how much would that be?

6.Re:Getting rid of the ring in my drums. [Re: adamgergich] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: jakemmm
Posted on: Jan 20, 2009 7:25 PM

first off never put any tape or anything on ur drums not even remo rings or e rings by evans the just lessen the attack however i reccomend u get coated emperors and the top and also a trick that not a lot of ppl know about is its okay to use coated heads on the bottom that is what gives that ring however i like no ring hardly at all but a LOT of attack so get coated diplomats on the bottom if have the chance this will give a little ring with a real fat and thick punchy sound.look at it as each tom with the power of the bass drum i know typically ppl are iffy about trying new things especially advised from strangers but this will really impress u after lots of research i swear on using this process however regardless of what anyone tell u NEVER! buy an ambassador for ur toms on the top i dont reccomend them on the bottom either but that wont make such a difference the reason why is becasue they are many complaints of ambassador heads not being durable and mainly they NEVER! stay in tune so in my opinion those are the worst remo heads but anyway seriously try my reccomendation and see how u like it.

7.Re:Getting rid of the ring in my drums. [Re: jakemmm] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: Boettcher68
Posted on: Jan 20, 2009 7:43 PM

jakemmm wrote:
first off never put any tape or anything on ur drums not even remo rings or e rings by evans the just lessen the attack however i reccomend u get coated emperors and the top and also a trick that not a lot of ppl know about is its okay to use coated heads on the bottom that is what gives that ring however i like no ring hardly at all but a LOT of attack so get coated diplomats on the bottom if have the chance this will give a little ring with a real fat and thick punchy sound.look at it as each tom with the power of the bass drum i know typically ppl are iffy about trying new things especially advised from strangers but this will really impress u after lots of research i swear on using this process however regardless of what anyone tell u NEVER! buy an ambassador for ur toms on the top i dont reccomend them on the bottom either but that wont make such a difference the reason why is becasue they are many complaints of ambassador heads not being durable and mainly they NEVER! stay in tune so in my opinion those are the worst remo heads but anyway seriously try my reccomendation and see how u like it.


Do you think anyone will take you seriously with a post like that?

8.Re:Getting rid of the ring in my drums. [Re: jakemmm] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: lilblakdak
Posted on: Jan 21, 2009 12:50 PM

jakemmm wrote:
first off never put any tape or anything on ur drums not even remo rings or e rings by evans the just lessen the attack however i reccomend u get coated emperors and the top and also a trick that not a lot of ppl know about is its okay to use coated heads on the bottom that is what gives that ring however i like no ring hardly at all but a LOT of attack so get coated diplomats on the bottom if have the chance this will give a little ring with a real fat and thick punchy sound.look at it as each tom with the power of the bass drum i know typically ppl are iffy about trying new things especially advised from strangers but this will really impress u after lots of research i swear on using this process however regardless of what anyone tell u NEVER! buy an ambassador for ur toms on the top i dont reccomend them on the bottom either but that wont make such a difference the reason why is becasue they are many complaints of ambassador heads not being durable and mainly they NEVER! stay in tune so in my opinion those are the worst remo heads but anyway seriously try my reccomendation and see how u like it.


Wow you really have no clue what you are talking about.

9.Re:Getting rid of the ring in my drums. [Re: jakemmm] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: tomcat
Posted on: Jan 21, 2009 1:13 PM

...

10.Re:Getting rid of the ring in my drums. [Re: adamgergich] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: Andy
Posted on: Jan 23, 2009 7:37 AM

adamgergich wrote:
I recently purchased a brand new Yamaha Tour Custom and I am having problems with getting the ringing sound out of the toms and floor toms.

I have tryed tuning the yamaha skins that the kit came with but am unable to produce a non-ringing sound. I also placed bits of gaffer tape on them. But this did not work.

So I am asking you what skins I should buy, and what I can do to the skins to get rid of the ringing soung. (I have used "RemO's" before and they kept falling of due to my toms being angled)

Thank you for your help.


Welcome to the forum. You've got a great set of drums, so don't go screwing them up! Smile I'm going to try to convince you NOT to buy new heads and NOT to muffle the ones you have.

First of all, let's talk about that "annoying ring." What you are hearing behind the drum set in a small room is completely different from what the audience hears out in front of the drums when you're on stage and the amps are cranked. The "annoying ring" that you hear translates to "warm, resonant, deep" sounds to the audience.

Over-muffling drums is one of the most common mistakes drummers make. I've witnessed a good number of drummers whose kits sound dead, weak and lifeless because they over muffle them. Yeah, they may sound pretty good behind the kit, but to the audience, they sound like cardboard boxes. You're drums are designed to ring and resonante, so let them sing.

If you tap your finger on a tom or a snare and it sounds gongy, ringy and loud, then you're doing fine. I do, however, find it necessary to use a little bit of muffling in some bass drums.

For tuning; most of us tune the resonant head slightly higher than the beater head. Good luck!

11.Re:Getting rid of the ring in my drums. [Re: jakemmm] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: Andy
Posted on: Jan 23, 2009 7:48 AM

jakemmm wrote:
first off never put any tape or anything on ur drums not even remo rings or e rings by evans the just lessen the attack however i reccomend u get coated emperors and the top and also a trick that not a lot of ppl know about is its okay to use coated heads on the bottom that is what gives that ring however i like no ring hardly at all but a LOT of attack so get coated diplomats on the bottom if have the chance this will give a little ring with a real fat and thick punchy sound.look at it as each tom with the power of the bass drum i know typically ppl are iffy about trying new things especially advised from strangers but this will really impress u after lots of research i swear on using this process however regardless of what anyone tell u NEVER! buy an ambassador for ur toms on the top i dont reccomend them on the bottom either but that wont make such a difference the reason why is becasue they are many complaints of ambassador heads not being durable and mainly they NEVER! stay in tune so in my opinion those are the worst remo heads but anyway seriously try my reccomendation and see how u like it.


While I appreciate your input, I find it a little hard to follow. What I did understand, I didn't agree with. For example, Ambassadors on the batter side are the industry standard for toms yet you say they should "NEVER" be used.

Again, all opinions are equal and yours isn't any better of worse than mine. If you could, however, communicate this in a clearer fashion, it might help the rest of us understand your point of view. Who knows, you may even teach some of us "old dogs" a thing or two.

Once again, thanks for you input.

12.Re:Getting rid of the ring in my drums. [Re: Andy] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: Boettcher68
Posted on: Jan 23, 2009 1:32 PM

Andy wrote:
While I appreciate your input, I find it a little hard to follow. What I did understand, I didn't agree with. For example, Ambassadors on the batter side are the industry standard for toms yet you say they should "NEVER" be used.

Again, all opinions are equal and yours isn't any better of worse than mine. If you could, however, communicate this in a clearer fashion, it might help the rest of us understand your point of view. Who knows, you may even teach some of us "old dogs" a thing or two.

Once again, thanks for you input.


Andy, your old??!!?? ClownBlack EyeBlack EyeClown

13.Re:Getting rid of the ring in my drums. [Re: Boettcher68] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: Andy
Posted on: Jan 23, 2009 2:38 PM

Boettcher68 wrote:
Andy, your old??!!?? ClownBlack EyeBlack EyeClown


I'll be 45 in March. Yeah, that's old for a drummer; though not even close to the venerable Peter and Paul. Big Smile

14.Re:Getting rid of the ring in my drums. [Re: adamgergich] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: Densbak
Posted on: Jan 23, 2009 4:21 PM

Find some of this stuff, and try it.


15.Re:Getting rid of the ring in my drums. [Re: adamgergich] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: RvJim
Posted on: Jan 23, 2009 4:40 PM

I totally disagree with this notion of using no muffling. I agree muffling shouldn't be a substitute for poor tuning but I think all your drums need to resonant evenly together and it often takes some muffling on larger drums to achieve this... but a poorly tuned drum is a poorly tuned drum. Maybe I am just a bad drummer who can't tune and that's why I use some muffling.

And just my 2 cents, I think Ambassador heads are excellent, they sound amazing on snare drums, they make your kit project when used as resonant heads and compliment any kit as a batter head (although I use emperors).

The problems you are having with your kit, back to the original post, is the tuning and perception. If your kit didn't ring it wouldn't produce any tone if it had no tone it would sound horrible. If you want less ring try tuning the resonant head a minor 3rd below the batter head, it will create a fast drop off. I do believe that your currently problem is tuning, I personally use open tuning (batter and reso to the same note) and that is my preference. Sit down with your kit, a kit takes hours to tune and get every lug to the same pitch, preferably make that pitch the same one that you hear if you completely detune your tune and wrap your knuckles on the shell.

16.Re:Getting rid of the ring in my drums. [Re: adamgergich] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: pwc
Posted on: Jan 23, 2009 6:18 PM

Sounds to me like it is a tuning issue but I also agree that if muffling helps then use a bit. All heads CAN ring so just changing them may not make a difference at poor tunings. Try a carpet or rug beneath the set when tuning. Try a different room. Experiment.

And ignore long posts with no punctuation marks ...Big Smile

17.Re:Getting rid of the ring in my drums. [Re: adamgergich] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: Texray1
Posted on: Jan 24, 2009 9:41 AM

The reason moongel can be good for you is that it is easy to remove in a live setting for gigs if your sound man thinks that might help. One of those little containers has 4 pieces in it, I think. They can also be cut in half if needed. They just stick on and pull off. Not glue or tape needed.

18.Re:Getting rid of the ring in my drums. [Re: Texray1] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: OldFart
Posted on: Jan 24, 2009 10:08 AM

Texray1 wrote:
The reason moongel can be good for you is that it is easy to remove in a live setting for gigs if your sound man thinks that might help. One of those little containers has 4 pieces in it, I think. They can also be cut in half if needed. They just stick on and pull off. Not glue or tape needed.


I've never tried this myself, but it just came to mind :

Does MoonGel stay on a Reso head ?

19.Re:Getting rid of the ring in my drums. [Re: OldFart] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: lilblakdak
Posted on: Jan 24, 2009 10:25 AM

OldFart wrote:
I've never tried this myself, but it just came to mind :

Does MoonGel stay on a Reso head ?

No

20.Re:Getting rid of the ring in my drums. [Re: OldFart] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: Boettcher68
Posted on: Jan 24, 2009 10:35 AM

OldFart wrote:
I've never tried this myself, but it just came to mind :

Does MoonGel stay on a Reso head ?


Some guys put it on the inside of the drum.

21.Re:Getting rid of the ring in my drums. [Re: adamgergich] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: paul
Posted on: Jan 24, 2009 11:25 AM

I used MG for a while inside my Maple Custom floor toms to reduce the ring. Worked fine, and it stayed in place well. It doesn't adhere to coated heads as well as smooth, which can make it problematic for use on resonants, but installed on the inside it works very well.

22.Re:Getting rid of the ring in my drums. [Re: paul] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: OldFart
Posted on: Jan 24, 2009 1:40 PM

paul wrote:
I used MG for a while inside my Maple Custom floor toms to reduce the ring. Worked fine, and it stayed in place well. It doesn't adhere to coated heads as well as smooth, which can make it problematic for use on resonants, but installed on the inside it works very well.


Thanks for the responses everyone. Okay inside is an option.

I wonder if I glue it to the head with a drop of Rubber Cement (nonpermanent bond) will be useful. I'll look into it.

The other option is to use a PowerStroke 3 as a resonant head, and trim the overring control mylar to size on a drum-by-drum basis.

Thoughts on the idea anyone ?

23.Re:Getting rid of the ring in my drums. [Re: adamgergich] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: Tid8181
Posted on: Jan 24, 2009 4:52 PM

Tour customs are good drums. Good drums deserve good heads. Good drums deserve to not be killed by non-specific dampening.

You show my dampened drums, and I'll show you drums that sound like boxes from 10 feet back.

To get that modern/punchy drum thing, do 2ply heads on batters over 1ply heads on resos.

Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.
   
 
Page was generated in 52 milliseconds