Topic: Attaching the bass drum pedal to the hoop

Print this page

1.Attaching the bass drum pedal to the hoop Copy to clipboard
Posted by: Don
Posted on: Dec 13, 2009 8:19 PM

I own a DW 5000 pedal. I've cut a couple of pieces of moleskin pad strip, put them on the top and bottom of the hoop to protect the finish of my DW broken glass finish kit. I've noticed that sometimes the pedal can have a tendency to move to the side somewhat and loose while playing and I assume it's because it's not making a firm contact with the hoop even when I tighten it firmly.
Aside from removing the moleskin pad to protect the hoop does anyone have anything they use on their own kick, whether it be something they made up or can be bought commercially to keep the pedal tight, in line and secured to the hoop. Looking for some ideas that are proven to work.
Thanks to all that can reply,
Don

2.Re:Attaching the bass drum pedal to the hoop [Re: Don] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: pwc
Posted on: Dec 13, 2009 10:34 PM

I have a cheap pedal but even that has firm and secure rubber insets on the two sides of the pedal's clamp and I have no movement problem or anything but expected marks on the hoop. If it worries you, get a piece of a computer mouse pad cut to size for where the clamp meets the hoop.

3.Re:Attaching the bass drum pedal to the hoop [Re: Don] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: mrpercussive
Posted on: Dec 13, 2009 10:44 PM

drum head patches work well... you know those kevlar remo ones...

4.Re:Attaching the bass drum pedal to the hoop [Re: mrpercussive] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: lilblakdak
Posted on: Dec 16, 2009 4:13 AM

I dont worry about marking up my hoop. I just make sure I attach the pedal to the same spot every time. Also if your pedal has carpet spikes, extend them. That will help with the twisting.

5.Re:Attaching the bass drum pedal to the hoop [Re: Don] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: RvJim
Posted on: Dec 16, 2009 4:31 PM

A couple things come to mind with this:

1) perhaps the surface your are on is slippery and the bass drum is having a tendency to slide;

2) perhaps you are pushing to much to the side when you use your pedal instead of a direct into the drum motion;

3) perhaps the surface is inconsistent making it more likely to move one way than the other to absorb the impact; or

4) perhaps all 3.

And I agree with the above don't worry about marking the hoop, use it as was intended.

6.Re:Attaching the bass drum pedal to the hoop [Re: Don] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: Andy
Posted on: Dec 22, 2009 3:34 AM

Yeah, I agree with Jim. Don't worry so much about marking the hoop with the pedal clamp. The hoop is designed for this. Everybody's bass drum hoop has scratches where the pedal attaches.

7.Re:Attaching the bass drum pedal to the hoop [Re: Don] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: paul
Posted on: Dec 22, 2009 6:42 AM

I also have moleskin on the hoop of one of my bass drums, and am using an older DW5000 double pedal.

I've found it very useful to make sure that the pedal is centered well and sitting flat on the floor. Then tighten both screws on the pedal, and retighten the first after tightening the second. Also, as was suggested earlier, lengthen your spurs so that the front of the bass drum is 1-2" off the floor.

Having a moleskin patch on the hoop helps me center the bass drum pedal, since long use has marked the exact spot very clearly. It's hard to do on some drums, like Yamahas, that use thicker hoops, but easy on my old Gretsch.

8.Re:Attaching the bass drum pedal to the hoop [Re: Don] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: OldFart
Posted on: Dec 22, 2009 8:46 AM

Maybe I'm Odd Man Out, but I'd also add that perhaps the set-up ought to change to accommodate the way you play, too.

Assuming you, the drummer, normally set everything up so the Bass is square to the audience - yet the Pedal slips to one side while you play; why not angle the Bass to be non-square to the audience, but square to your foot?

The audience/Reso-side of the Bass will be angled to whatever degree the Pedal is slipping now (give or take ), but that might keep things together.

I can't help you with an idea for a contact patch. I bought my kit in 2006 and Mapex included a nifty self-adhesive thin rubber patch which I placed on the hoop at the right spot, and which does its job splendidly. It's rubber or some rubberized bit of stuff that is tightly textured (almost as if there were grains of sand under the thin rubberized material) . Works very well. I don't know where you'd be able to get it, and I only have the one patch so I cannot photograph it to post here, sorry to say. My kit is a Sparkle, opaque lacquer - even on the Bass Hoops - and is very, very slick; so the patch is putting in a yeoman effort.

9.Re:Attaching the bass drum pedal to the hoop [Re: Don] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: tomcat
Posted on: Dec 22, 2009 5:55 PM

this almost sounds like your bottoming out on the threads on the screw that adjusts the clamp tightness down on the hoop.

its rather rare but this has happened to me once before with a particular foot pedal.
your nice and tight as can be on whatever clamps down on the hoop but the pedal isn't because the threads on the screw have gone as far as they can, and bottomed out but the clamp is not as tight against the hoop as it should be to prevent
the pedal from walking back and forth .

to check and see if this is whats happening tighten your foot pedal on the hoop as you usually do and then by hand see if the pedal will move from side to side fairly easily.

10.Re:Attaching the bass drum pedal to the hoop [Re: OldFart] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: BrandonPorter
Posted on: Dec 22, 2009 7:27 PM

OldFart wrote:
Assuming you, the drummer, normally set everything up so the Bass is square to the audience - yet the Pedal slips to one side while you play; why not angle the Bass to be non-square to the audience, but square to your foot?

This is exactly what I do. My bass drum is turned at an angle as if I had two bass drums, and I do this because it's most comfortable for how I play--especially when I use my double bass pedal.

11.Re:Attaching the bass drum pedal to the hoop [Re: Don] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: TOWnea
Posted on: Dec 25, 2009 11:14 AM

i have always thought of this type of problem as something that just came with playing drums (like breaking sticks)

butt i guess this would probly work

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Pearl-Metal-Wood-Hoop-Protector-102661188-i1428170.gc

12.Re:Attaching the bass drum pedal to the hoop [Re: TOWnea] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: OldFart
Posted on: Dec 25, 2009 1:28 PM

TOWnea wrote:
i have always thought of this type of problem as something that just came with playing drums (like breaking sticks)

butt i guess this would probly work

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Pearl-Metal-Wood-Hoop-Protector-102661188-i1428170.gc

I once owned and used a very, very nice pedal by Rogers :

This is their ( now vintage ) Swivo-Matic Bass Drum Pedal.

If you look carefully, you'll see Rogers built-in protectors for the top side of the hoop - which were loosely fit onto the whole arrangement and were cinched onto the hoop by the pointed bits on each side. The whole assembly would nestle into a receiver sculpted into the bottom of the foot pedal base. You'd keep the chromed protector plate more or less permanently attached to the Bass Hoop (as you can see, provisions for various hoop thicknesses were factored in ) .

This was an excellent Pedal in its day - fast and secure.

You'll also note how the design of the pedal allowed a pretty severe angle ( the swing of the arc from dead square to the pedal frame to the rightmost or leftmost extent ) was allowed. This could secured by drum key . It also had drum key adjustable anchors.

This vintage pedal would solve the problems stated at the head of this thread.

Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 25 milliseconds