Topic: Compact drum kit

Print this page

1.Compact drum kit Copy to clipboard
Posted by: ZealotAssasin
Posted on: Mar 2, 2010 6:08 PM

I live in NYC in a somewhat small apartment. What would be the best choice for a small drum set? (preferably 4-piece or possibly less) I'd like to also be able to take it around kind of easily. I'd like it to be in the $300-400 range if anyone has any suggestions?

2.Re:Compact drum kit [Re: ZealotAssasin] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: RvJim
Posted on: Mar 2, 2010 6:30 PM

http://www.roland.com/V-Drums_Lite/

I am going to buy this once I get some funds together for at home.

3.Re:Compact drum kit [Re: ZealotAssasin] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: BrandonPorter
Posted on: Mar 2, 2010 7:13 PM

I just saw some great deals in my Guitar Center flyer. Tama's Rockstar kit is very nice, very popular, and reasonably priced. Not sure it's in the 300-400 dollar range, but for the money it's a steal, IMO.

Gretsch makes a Catalina kit which used to be something like $500 (give or take a little) and I remember people saying it was nice.

Guitar Center has the rockstar kit on sale right now for $499 (no snare): http://www.guitarcenter.com/Tama-Rockstar-3-Piece-Add-on-Pack-105331177-i1445429.gc

Also, the Pearl Vision series kits are somewhere between 500-600.

Check e-bay or Craigslist for great deals on these kits. You can get more bang for the buck from those places, IMO. You should be able to find a complete kit used and in good shape for $400 or less.

4.Re:Compact drum kit [Re: ZealotAssasin] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: mrpercussive
Posted on: Mar 4, 2010 12:40 AM

in that price range... dare i say Pearl Rhythm Traveller?

5.Re:Compact drum kit [Re: mrpercussive] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Mar 4, 2010 8:33 AM

mrpercussive wrote:
in that price range... dare i say Pearl Rhythm Traveller?

I just started looking at that. That looks like a pretty solid deal if I can get it used or something. I currently have a Tama Rockstar 5-Piece in a regular house, but it probably wouldnt fit in my current apartment.

6.Re:Compact drum kit [Re: ZealotAssasin] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: OldFart
Posted on: Mar 4, 2010 8:48 AM

Arbiter Flats.

Peter had a set awhile back ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9HhWyW4DHY

7.Re:Compact drum kit [Re: OldFart] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Mar 4, 2010 9:10 AM

OldFart wrote:
Arbiter Flats.

Peter had a set awhile back ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9HhWyW4DHY

Do they still make those anymore? I can't seem to find where to buy a set of those

8.Re:Compact drum kit [Re: ZealotAssasin] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: Kops
Posted on: Mar 4, 2010 11:28 PM

I hear at guitar centre PDP x7's can be had for 500 used. Sure its a 7 piece, you don't have to lug it all with you...but its a great set if it can be had there...other than that, I might suggest an electric kit for simplicity.

9.Re:Compact drum kit [Re: ZealotAssasin] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: vanhalen5150
Posted on: Mar 6, 2010 7:09 AM

Electric kits are ideal for practice in small apartments/dorms. I would recommend that over an actual acoustic kit as it is kind of hard to have a decent practice without volume becoming an issue. The only problem with electronic kits is that they can be quite expensive. You could try ebay/craigslist, but overall, your still going to probably have to dish out at least $500 or so.

10.Re:Compact drum kit [Re: ZealotAssasin] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Mar 6, 2010 8:59 AM

ZealotAssasin wrote:
Do they still make those anymore? I can't seem to find where to buy a set of those

Don't know. I took the time to look around and couldn't find them any longer.

I brought it up because I'd recently seen them online and in a catalog. That would be within the last 6 months, or thereabouts.

Didn't mean to mislead you. Apologies.

11.Re:Compact drum kit [Re: ZealotAssasin] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: StillKicken
Posted on: Mar 6, 2010 8:01 PM

http://www.trapsdrums.com/

Check out Traps drums.

Alos this one: http://www.shopwiki.com/Arbiter+Flats

Sherm

12.Re:Compact drum kit [Re: StillKicken] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: pwc
Posted on: Mar 7, 2010 8:26 AM

This could go cheap ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Remo-Legero-5-Piece-Drum-Set_W0QQitemZ130371645584QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1e5ac17090#ht_500wt_1133

13.Re:Compact drum kit [Re: ZealotAssasin] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: StillKicken
Posted on: Mar 7, 2010 8:30 PM

http://whitneydrums.com/products/NestingPenguin.php

Well they are more than $500.00 but they are cool!

Remember talking about a small foot print? This is one of the best I have seen.

sherm

14.Re:Compact drum kit [Re: RvJim] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: Dave
Posted on: Mar 8, 2010 5:44 PM

RvJim wrote:
http://www.roland.com/V-Drums_Lite/

I am going to buy this once I get some funds together for at home.

Rev, Have you ever played one of those? It looks pretty clever, and I like the push-button double bass option. I just wonder if it feels cheesy.

Stillkickin wrote:
http://whitneydrums.com/products/NestingPenguin.php

Well they are more than $500.00 but they are cool!

Remember talking about a small foot print? This is one of the best I have seen.

sherm

Sherm, those are some strange looking tubs, and you're right, they're not cheap.
My grandad had an old kocktail kit with a sidekick pedel similar to the one in the last pic. And the absense of lugs is different, but I kind of like it.

15.Re:Compact drum kit [Re: ZealotAssasin] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: Kaleidoscope
Posted on: Mar 8, 2010 8:08 PM

Those whitney drum shells looks similar in concept to the peavey radial series drums, which sounded wonderful but never made it very far.

16.Re:Compact drum kit [Re: ZealotAssasin] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Mar 9, 2010 8:49 AM

Well I won that Remo legero set haha. Haven't received it yet, but I guess I'll need to buy a set of tom arms to attach them to some cymbal stands? Anyone have any clue if this will work?

Thanks

17.Re:Compact drum kit [Re: pwc] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: pwc
Posted on: Mar 9, 2010 9:55 AM

That's a steal at $152 plus shipping and can be a versatile gigging kit of some interest. Clamps for cymbal stands are cheap and depending on the type of tom holders needed, those are not that expensive either. A good buy and congrats !

18.Re:Compact drum kit [Re: ZealotAssasin] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: Andy
Posted on: Mar 12, 2010 8:01 PM

The ultimate compact kit is the Yamaha Hipgig. All the drums store into one another. The downside: these drums are relatively expensive for essentially stage custom shells.

If I were you, I'd look at used Yamaha kits including the Rydeen, YD and Stage Custom series. The best sizes you'll find are 20" bass drum 10" rack tom and 14" hanging floor tom. It's fairly easy to fit into a car but is still large enough to "rock the house." The biggest issue for a compact kit is the bass drum. Get one that's too big and you'll hate carting it around. Get one that's too small and it sounds like crap. It's easy to downsize toms, but the really tiny bass drums lack something.

Still another route you might take is to modify a 16" floor tom into a bass drum. I tried this a while back and didn't like the sound but you might have better results than I.

19.Re:Compact drum kit [Re: Andy] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Mar 13, 2010 6:00 AM

Andy wrote:
The ultimate compact kit is the Yamaha Hipgig. All the drums store into one another. The downside: these drums are relatively expensive for essentially stage custom shells.

If I were you, I'd look at used Yamaha kits including the Rydeen, YD and Stage Custom series. The best sizes you'll find are 20" bass drum 10" rack tom and 14" hanging floor tom. It's fairly easy to fit into a car but is still large enough to "rock the house." The biggest issue for a compact kit is the bass drum. Get one that's too big and you'll hate carting it around. Get one that's too small and it sounds like crap. It's easy to downsize toms, but the really tiny bass drums lack something.

Still another route you might take is to modify a 16" floor tom into a bass drum. I tried this a while back and didn't like the sound but you might have better results than I.

Not sure about quality, as I haven't researched them very deeply at all, but Yamaha bought the rights to and has brought back the 'Rogers' name. All Rogers by Yamaha kits I've seen in adverts have been nice-looking, inexpensive kits. Rogers, then, might be something to consider for cost considerations with a reputable name behind it.

I've played an 18" Bass only while testing kits - never owned one, or played one long-term; but they seemed "nice." I have owned and played a 20" and like them very much. On that basis, I'd say go for a 20" Bass for ease of packing and transport as Andy explained.

20.Re:Compact drum kit [Re: ZealotAssasin] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: Tanimal
Posted on: Mar 13, 2010 8:35 AM

These are cheap, and they are maple
http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/ddrum-Dominion-Maple-4piece-Shell-Pack?sku=489718

21.Re:Compact drum kit [Re: ZealotAssasin] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: TOWnea
Posted on: Mar 21, 2010 9:26 PM

pearl makes a set called the travler. comes with a set of hardwear, set of crappy stock cymbals, set of mesh heads, and set of plastic practice cymbals...

i wanna say its about 450

22.Re:Compact drum kit [Re: ZealotAssasin] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: moneyowen
Posted on: Mar 22, 2010 1:24 PM

Rhythm Traveler like Legero has the timbale like shells which I would imagine sound pretty thin. Great for practice and carrying around. Yamaha makes quality gear. I don't know what they plan to do with Rogers but it's in name only, and still just the real low priced beginner stuff. Nothing really to do with Rogers Dayton-Fullerton. Just bought the rights to the name which Al Drew in RI owned previously (I think)
All the Yamaha stuff is great IMO even the Rydeen, YD, DP ect is good at that price point. I would pick a Stage Custom over most anything at THAT price point. I have used the HipGig and it's real nice, super portable and great sounds, as good as a 'real' kit from some small drums. They seem kind of stupidly expensive though, to me.
fwiw I have an 18" gretsch bass drum that will knock you on your can. I like 18"s though. It's about tone, not volume. I don't think they are world's easier to carry around than 20"s or 22"s though.

I bought a Mapex QR with 18" 10 12 14" snare hardware, cymbals everything for like $300 blown out form Musicians Friend. Nothing but good things to say about that kit. It doesn't hold it's own with the Gretsch bop kit, but nothing does. And it was literally like 10% of the price so you gotta consider that.

23.Re:Compact drum kit [Re: moneyowen] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Mar 22, 2010 5:33 PM

moneyowen wrote:
Rhythm Traveler like Legero has the timbale like shells which I would imagine sound pretty thin. Great for practice and carrying around. Yamaha makes quality gear. I don't know what they plan to do with Rogers but it's in name only, and still just the real low priced beginner stuff. Nothing really to do with Rogers Dayton-Fullerton. Just bought the rights to the name which Al Drew in RI owned previously (I think)

[ -*- ]

I bought a Mapex QR with 18" 10 12 14" snare hardware, cymbals everything for like $300 blown out form Musicians Friend. Nothing but good things to say about that kit. It doesn't hold it's own with the Gretsch bop kit, but nothing does. And it was literally like 10% of the price so you gotta consider that.

I've not heard what Yamaha wanted from the Rogers brand, but evidently it was for entry level gear - at least for now. I just thought putting the Rogers name on budget products gives rise for a, " Huh? "

Good point about the total price and brand identity versus the sound thing.

24.Re:Compact drum kit [Re: ZealotAssasin] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: moneyowen
Posted on: Mar 23, 2010 3:35 AM

WHat I heard fwiw what do I know is that Al Drew's Music in Woonsocket RI had the name and a big stockpile of Ohio and California swivo and memri lok parts knobbys and all that. He made (imported) the entry level branded drums but later sold the name and for whatever reason, Yamaha bought it from him. They were interested to see if there was any sort of buzz name recognition for the brand. There was some talk of them making a better quality Rogers line but I don't know if that's going to happen.

Seems odd to me (what do I know) old guys like me and you who remember Rogers in their heyday or at least the drums, don't want these new drums, and kids don't want them either. I guess the thinking is to have clueless old dad (or grand dad) in the store buying drums for the kid and seeing Rogers and thinking 'hmmm, thats a good name' It has worked I suppose for Gretsch, Ludwig and Sonor

Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 62 milliseconds