Topic: Evans EQ Pad: Most Expensive Pillow You'll Ever Own

Print this page

1.Evans EQ Pad: Most Expensive Pillow You'll Ever Own Copy to clipboard
Posted by: Andy
Posted on: Jan 27, 2011 3:57 PM

Am I the only one who thinks buying a $22.00 Evans pillow for your bass drum is a waste of money? What's next; Evans duct tape?

I heard about the Evans EQ Pad, watched a video of an Evans artist adjusting it and just had to laugh. I don't know about you, this seems like a complete waste of money. Also, the last thing I want to affix to the inside my bass drum is adhesive-backed velcro. Over time, tape residue and wood become very close friends; inseparable so to speak.

I went to the Musicians Friend web site and read some of the reviews that were all very positive. I wonder how many of these drummers knew that a couple t-shirts tossed in their bass drum would do the same job as a $22.00 pillow?

2.Re:Evans EQ Pad: Most Expensive Pillow You'll Ever Own [Re: Andy] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: brad_leishman
Posted on: Jan 27, 2011 5:13 PM

Well yeah, us drummer's like custom "stuff", and we sometimes give in to marketing ideas that are, well, not always "necessary".

But, I do like the (subliminal) message sent by Evan's with this product - - hey man, you don't need a huge pillow in there (lol)

You are absolutely right about gluing that thing. If you ever want to remove it, especially after it being glued there for a long time, don't just tear it off, because you could take some wood with it.

3.Re:Evans EQ Pad: Most Expensive Pillow You'll Ever Own [Re: Andy] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: Mendell
Posted on: Jan 27, 2011 8:45 PM

I don'T use a pillow in my bass drum so they won't make money with me Tongue

any1 can find a small decorative pillow for around 5 buck that will do the same job

4.Re:Evans EQ Pad: Most Expensive Pillow You'll Ever Own [Re: Andy] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: BrandonPorter
Posted on: Jan 28, 2011 5:05 AM

I don't store my laundry in my bass drum. In fact, my bass drum sounds great (IMO) with NOTHING inside of it. I have PS3 over ebony PS3 with a HOLZ port around 4:00. That's it. If I want muffling, I dangle a piece of fabric over both sides of the port. Done.

It's akin to buying a nice guitar and stuffing the resonant chamber with a shirt.

Why not just play cardboard boxes?

Silly gimmicks, IMO.

5.Re:Evans EQ Pad: Most Expensive Pillow You'll Ever Own [Re: Andy] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: Drumolator
Posted on: Jan 28, 2011 2:36 PM

I have one. The bass drum that I "installed" it in is long gone. I still have the EQ pad, and all it does is collect dust. Peace and goodwill.

6.Re:Evans EQ Pad: Most Expensive Pillow You'll Ever Own [Re: Andy] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: pgdrums
Posted on: Jan 29, 2011 7:32 AM

It depends on the size of your bass drum, the sound you want, and whether or not you're mic'ing, but this pillow does serve a purpose that can't be served by anything else I've seen. I have one and have used it for years.

I need a fairly dry bass drum sound for most of the music I play, I close-mic with a D112 about 2 inches from the beater, and my 22" drum is more resonant than the mic likes w/o a tad of dampening (at least for our music). The EQ pad is the perfect solution because it stays in place (unlike a t-shirt or pillow), but it's also very adjustable. The velcro allows you to position it so that more or less is touching the head, with more or less tension. (Unlike a pillow, you can actually adjust the pressure on the head because of the way it's weighted.) I use a small amount, and on those rare occasions when I'm playing straight jazz or unmic'd, I can easily remove it from touching the head at all.

I agree that it wouldn't be useful for everyone, but I find it very useful for my application, and as drum gear purchases go, $22 ain't bad.

7.Re:Evans EQ Pad: Most Expensive Pillow You'll Ever Own [Re: pgdrums] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: OldFart
Posted on: Jan 29, 2011 9:37 AM

pgdrums wrote:
It depends on the size of your bass drum, the sound you want, and whether or not you're mic'ing, but this pillow does serve a purpose that can't be served by anything else I've seen. I have one and have used it for years.

I need a fairly dry bass drum sound for most of the music I play, I close-mic with a D112 about 2 inches from the beater, and my 22" drum is more resonant than the mic likes w/o a tad of dampening (at least for our music). The EQ pad is the perfect solution because it stays in place (unlike a t-shirt or pillow), but it's also very adjustable. The velcro allows you to position it so that more or less is touching the head, with more or less tension. (Unlike a pillow, you can actually adjust the pressure on the head because of the way it's weighted.) I use a small amount, and on those rare occasions when I'm playing straight jazz or unmic'd, I can easily remove it from touching the head at all.

I agree that it wouldn't be useful for everyone, but I find it very useful for my application, and as drum gear purchases go, $22 ain't bad.

The drummers who have chosen this as their Bass-sound solution can't all be wrong ... Smile

I generally don't put anything in the Bass, seeking to find other means to attenuate unpleasant sonic artifacts.

With that said - I recently reverted to an old solution I employed years ago : Felt Strips.

I've got one each on Batter and Reso.

I still need a little something. I might take the Felt from the Reso and use a rolled-up Terry hand-towel, tie it into a roll with some shoestring or twine and hook-n-loop it to the shell (using small dot-style hook-n-loop connectors).

I should add that my Reso is an Ebony Ambassador weight head from another manufacturer, so it needs a little love to make it work.

But bottom line is that I generally don't like putting stuff in the bass; but do see how other drummers would value a ready-made solution which offers some wiggle room to make work for a range of individual tastes.

8.Re:Evans EQ Pad: Most Expensive Pillow You'll Ever Own [Re: Andy] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Jan 29, 2011 10:53 AM

I remember guys using felt strips on bass drum heads back in the 80's, but never tried it myself. I used to be a "pillow" guy back then. Maybe I'll give it a shot with the felt just to see how the "cool kids" do things.

Questions:
How wide of a felt strip do you use?
Will other types of similar cloth work (like fleece)?
How tight do you make the felt?
Where the heck do you get felt?

Thanks

9.Re:Evans EQ Pad: Most Expensive Pillow You'll Ever Own [Re: Andy] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: paul
Posted on: Jan 29, 2011 12:11 PM

I used cloth strips in my bass drums for about 30 years. They're actually pretty simple to obtain and use.

Felt - doesn't have to actually be felt, although felt works very well. I've often used 2" strips cut from a terrycloth towel, or even cotton sheeting or a strip cut from an old t-shirt. You just want something next to the head that will dampen vibration.

Position - I usually put the strip about halfway between center and edge, not across the middle of the drum. Mine are always installed vertically, but horizontal mounting will also work. On my current heads it would go nicely under the logo stripe.

Tension - When installing the head I pull the strip tight, and make sure it's in contact with the head along its whole length. Then just tune the head as usual.

I only quit using strips because I wanted less muffling in my bass drums. I don't like laundry in my kicks, and find self muffled heads to be too dead for my taste. A one or two ply head can easily be muffled with tape, felt, or Moon Gel to get exactly the sound I want without having to pay for the manufacturer's idea of what makes a good muffler.

10.Re:Evans EQ Pad: Most Expensive Pillow You'll Ever Own [Re: Andy] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: pbloxam
Posted on: Jan 29, 2011 1:07 PM

I use to put blankets, pillows, felt strips, etc... until I found Aquarian bass drum heads. I have tried them all and it is still my go to head with the accompanying reso..

No reason for me to waste additional money on a pillow that does what a pre-eq'd head will do...MHO...

11.Re:Evans EQ Pad: Most Expensive Pillow You'll Ever Own [Re: Andy] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: OldFart
Posted on: Jan 29, 2011 1:49 PM

Andy wrote:
I remember guys using felt strips on bass drum heads back in the 80's, but never tried it myself. I used to be a "pillow" guy back then. Maybe I'll give it a shot with the felt just to see how the "cool kids" do things.

Questions:
How wide of a felt strip do you use?
Will other types of similar cloth work (like fleece)?
How tight do you make the felt?
Where the heck do you get felt?

Thanks

Paul covered everything; I'd just echo his comments.

I got Gibraltar strips from Sam Ash for $4.99 which is a package of two.

Yardage shops can give you more for the same price.

People use Felt in 2", 2.5", 3" and 4" widths - totally subjective and depend on personal taste.

Just as Paul did, I too mounted mine vertically.

My old Gretsch kit had an adjustable felt strip mount inside the Bass which could be tensioned or loosened by turning a knob. That was very convenient.

On this kit I just lay the strips over the bass bearing edges off-center; place the head and hoop back on the drum (which now keeps the Felt from moving any further); simultaneously pull both ends of the strip to remove the slack and seat the fabric on the drum while the hoop sits loosely with the head over the shell; then put the tension rods back on and tune the head.

People have varying opinions as to whether you should dampen the Batter or the Reso or both, as I have done.

You still get resonance from the unoccupied shell, but with short or no sustain. Depends on ones taste as usual Smile

12.Re:Evans EQ Pad: Most Expensive Pillow You'll Ever Own [Re: Andy] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Jan 30, 2011 3:50 PM

Paul,
Randy,

Thank you very much for the detailed information about using felt strips. I'm going to experiment with my bass drum tomorrow. My wife calls this sort of thing "drum fuss".

Andy

13.Re:Evans EQ Pad: Most Expensive Pillow You'll Ever Own [Re: Andy] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: TOWnea
Posted on: Jan 31, 2011 1:38 AM

the eq pillow is acctualy kind of a cool idea
the velcro strips let you adjust how much pressure (or lack of pressure) the pillow puts on the inside of (whatever head you want) or both

and considering it helps you keep consistency (From gig to gig/in and out of drum cases) i say its a cool product

moongells are pretty much the same thing as the kids toys you can get out of a vending machine at a grocery store (for 25 cents)

but i'll still drop the 6 bucks for some moongell anyday

ps im bummed the powerstroke pro wont hit the market for another month

Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2012 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 43 milliseconds