Topic: Batter head as a resonant head for tom drums?

Print this page

1.Batter head as a resonant head for tom drums? Copy to clipboard
Posted by: JimmyNotTheRev
Posted on: Jun 24, 2011 8:36 PM

Hi guys, long time no see!
I was wondering what will my toms sound like if i use batter heads as the resonant heads. I live in a country where supplies of resonant heads are very very rare and scarce. So i was wondering if i was able to use batter heads as resonants for my tom drums. What will the sound sound like? I play metal and hard rock, just to let you know, and currently i am using pinstripes as the batter and my encore UK resonants.

2.Re:Batter head as a resonant head for tom drums? [Re: JimmyNotTheRev] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: BrandonPorter
Posted on: Jun 24, 2011 8:57 PM

It depends on what type of batter heads you use, and what sound you want.

The "standard" reso head for toms is the ambassador weight (10 mil, where 1 mil = 1/1000 of an inch). If you play medium weight single ply heads for batter, then you probably won't notice much, if any, difference. If you put something like pinstripes or PS3 etc... for reso, you might get a much different sound than you're used to. Not necessarily bad or wrong, but I'd say very different.

It can't hurt to try, though I know most of us (including me) don't have extra money to experiment with.

3.Re:Batter head as a resonant head for tom drums? [Re: JimmyNotTheRev] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: pwc
Posted on: Jun 24, 2011 9:19 PM

A head combination that was and maybe still is popular is Remo Ambassador batter heads both top and bottom of toms. Like Brandon, I would not suggest Pinstripes used as resos.

4.Re:Batter head as a resonant head for tom drums? [Re: JimmyNotTheRev] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: knightcrawler
Posted on: Jun 25, 2011 5:43 PM

Well, technically, an ambassador head can also be used as a batter, no?

5.Re:Batter head as a resonant head for tom drums? [Re: knightcrawler] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: StillKicken
Posted on: Jun 25, 2011 6:29 PM

knightcrawler wrote:
Well, technically, an ambassador head can also be used as a batter, no?

Yes, all Ambassadors are considered as batter heads; it's just that not all are used as reso heads. I think the most common are clear and black although some people do use other textures, colors and types. Like in my case I use Fiberskyn on both sides of my toms. I play in mostly small room gigs and the toms with that combination have a nice warm musical tone.

Sherm

6.Re:Batter head as a resonant head for tom drums? [Re: JimmyNotTheRev] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: moneyowen
Posted on: Jun 27, 2011 3:18 AM

All heads are batter heads, with the exception of Evans 'Resonant' heads which are designed to be resonant heads. And snare side heads. Put a snare side head on your snare and a few good whacks will plow right through it (trust me, I tried it once. Long ago in a galaxy far, far away) Evans Resonant could maybe be used as a batter, They seem to be about like Diplomats. Never tried them as batter heads.

7.Re:Batter head as a resonant head for tom drums? [Re: moneyowen] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: knightcrawler
Posted on: Jul 7, 2011 9:43 PM

moneyowen wrote:
All heads are batter heads, with the exception of Evans 'Resonant' heads which are designed to be resonant heads. And snare side heads. Put a snare side head on your snare and a few good whacks will plow right through it (trust me, I tried it once. Long ago in a galaxy far, far away) Evans Resonant could maybe be used as a batter, They seem to be about like Diplomats. Never tried them as batter heads.

you reminded me of two things.

1. I remember when I put a snare side head on my snare just for the fun of it. Whacked it and...well, it was like ripping off Christmas wrapping paper.

2. I forgot all about diplomats! Does remo still make those?

8.Re:Batter head as a resonant head for tom drums? [Re: JimmyNotTheRev] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: moneyowen
Posted on: Jul 8, 2011 3:28 AM

ha ha yes I too plowed through a snare side head. Uh, early on in my career. Yes Remo makes Diplomat heads in their Weatherking line. Primarily for orchestral players IMO. I've never liked them much for general drum set use

Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2012 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 16 milliseconds