Topic: Help with Drums!

Print this page

1.Help with Drums! Copy to clipboard
Posted by: abba_freak
Posted on: Jun 6, 2005 3:23 PM

Hi!

I've been playing drums for 6 years and I really need a new kit. I have a really old kit and I don't even think the brand is known because no stores sell it. I'm thinking of getting either Gretsch Renown Maples or Tama Starclassic Maples. Any Suggestions, Advice or other brands?

2.Re:Help with Drums! [Re: abba_freak] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: RvJim
Posted on: Jun 6, 2005 3:25 PM

Have you considered Ludwig?? THey make amazing drums for a reasonable price tag.. But as most people here will tell you just go to heaps of drum stores and play as many kinds of ktis in your price range as possible and let your senses tell you what kit to buy.

3.Re:Help with Drums! [Re: abba_freak] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: MRPHDRUM21
Posted on: Jun 6, 2005 3:54 PM

not ludwig

4.Re:Help with Drums! [Re: abba_freak] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Jun 6, 2005 3:56 PM

Why not Ludwig?

5.Re:Help with Drums! [Re: abba_freak] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: psychodrummer
Posted on: Jun 6, 2005 4:34 PM

I play Renowns. They're amazing drums for what you pay for them. I would never trade them for a Starclassic kit. The way I have them tuned they sing. Here's a sound clip:

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=4593&alid=-1

I also got some video clips of me playing them in the general discussion. The sound isn't as good, but you do get to hear more of the toms. I love my Renowns.

6.Re:Help with Drums! [Re: abba_freak] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: snarehead88
Posted on: Jun 6, 2005 4:37 PM

Definitly the Gretsch Renowns OR a Ludwig drumset. To me both are better than TAMA. Advice...Play both of the kits along with a nice ludwig set, narrrow it down to 2 again by things you like or didnt like, then research them both as much as possible and decide on the kit you liked best for sound,looks,hardware,quality etc. whatever. Choose well abba Padawan.

7.Re:Help with Drums! [Re: abba_freak] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Jun 6, 2005 4:46 PM

Psychodrummer, what kind of drumheads to you use?

8.Re:Help with Drums! [Re: abba_freak] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Jun 6, 2005 4:53 PM

ALEX!!!! That solo is so sweet. Specially the chinga tu madre cabron part. rofl.

Abba, I use smooth white emps on batter and I think Psychodrummer aka Alex does too. Or are they coated Alex?

9.Re:Help with Drums! [Re: abba_freak] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Jun 6, 2005 4:57 PM

What's the difference between Smooth White and coated emperors?

10.Re:Help with Drums! [Re: abba_freak] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: psychodrummer
Posted on: Jun 6, 2005 5:03 PM

Thanks you guys. I use Smooth White Emperors on the tops and clear Ambassadors on the bottoms. I find that Smooth White give me the best of both worlds. I get the warmth that I like out of a coated head and the sustain and resonance that I like out of clear heads. That and they look cool and the ugly stick marks don't show up as well, but that's just a plus (as I'm the only one who really gets to sit behind my kit anyway). But yeah, I love Smooth Whites. Ever since the guy at my drumshop reccomended them to me, I've never used anything else.

11.Re:Help with Drums! [Re: abba_freak] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Jun 6, 2005 5:04 PM

Smooth white are the regular clear emps with s super thin layer of white head material. (A small amount darker than the regular clear) Coated heads have a small layer of coating (not so smooth). As far as sound differences, the smooth have a nice tone with less ring,I think, and the coated work and sound very well for brush work and Jazz type playing.

12.Re:Help with Drums! [Re: abba_freak] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: Andy
Posted on: Jun 6, 2005 5:34 PM

abba_freak,

You may also want to check out your local area and eBay for a good quality used kit. There are a lot of great drums out there for a fraction of the cost of a new kit. It's also fun to piece together a kit one drum at a time if you don't mind mismatched drums.

13.Re:Help with Drums! [Re: abba_freak] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: Tim
Posted on: Jun 6, 2005 8:26 PM

abba_freak, are you gigging out? Gigging out soon?

Not soon at all? Probably never? Which is it?

I'll say this much... if you have gigs soon, or if you could be within a year, two or 3, then I suppose you would be very wise throwing that much money into a kit.

However, if you're just after an upgrade, I strongly recommend something cheap priced but high-end.. like Pacific drums by DW.

Or even cheaper might be Yamaha Stage Customs, or something in that range.

In any case, I have been playing the same drums since 1997. My first set was a really old beater that wasn't even mine. lol Anyway, after 12 years of playing drums, I'm still not perfectly clear about what I want as a final drumset. I'm thinking I'll probably go with the Reference Series if they end up being as hot as they market them to be.

14.Re:Help with Drums! [Re: abba_freak] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: oscarmart912
Posted on: Jun 6, 2005 8:35 PM

Why isnt' Crusher pimpin the Westburys?Big Smile

15.Re:Help with Drums! [Re: abba_freak] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: pwc
Posted on: Jun 6, 2005 11:29 PM

It's hard to pimp pre-war-no-longer-made-or-sold Westbury's that have a reputation for ending up as moderator's kits !!!

( Crusher knows I'm joking .......... maybe )

16.Re:Help with Drums! [Re: abba_freak] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: Crimbo454
Posted on: Jun 7, 2005 4:11 AM

just look for some good quality and a great price...i sound like a ***in walmart salesman lol

17.Re:Help with Drums! [Re: oscarmart912] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: stefkedrum
Posted on: Jun 7, 2005 4:17 AM

oscarmart912 wrote:
Why isnt' Crusher pimpin the Westburys?Big Smile

YOU are funny!...LMAO

18.Re:Help with Drums! [Re: abba_freak] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: Crimbo454
Posted on: Jun 7, 2005 4:26 AM

hahaha

19.Re:Help with Drums! [Re: abba_freak] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: latindrummer
Posted on: Jun 7, 2005 9:46 AM

Sonor 3005's, Pacific MX, Gretesh Catalina's those are good kit at good priceWink

20.Re:Help with Drums! [Re: abba_freak] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: Bartboy
Posted on: Jun 7, 2005 9:59 AM

What about pearl ( I like pearl ) and export or the one above it?

21.Re:Help with Drums! [Re: abba_freak] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: latindrummer
Posted on: Jun 7, 2005 9:59 AM

Hey Alex I love your solo, especially the endingWink

22.Re:Help with Drums! [Re: abba_freak] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: laocoonserpent
Posted on: Jun 7, 2005 10:04 AM

i'm a pearl guy myself, so if i were u i'd go with a pearl session, very good value, and sound

23.Re:Help with Drums! [Re: abba_freak] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: StillKickinIt
Posted on: Jun 7, 2005 3:15 PM

Nobody ever mentions Rogers Drums anymore. Some of their high-end stuff was pretty nice. I don't have a clue what kind of NEW drums I would buy. I love my old Gretsch's but I don't think the news ones could match them.

24.Re:Help with Drums! [Re: abba_freak] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: SpliffBurton
Posted on: Jun 7, 2005 3:39 PM

Hi,

After selling my old Tama Superstar a while back, I decided on getting a Mapex Saturn after hearing the toms and bass at a local drum shop and a lot of great reviews about the sound. No complaints, they're really great. I also wanted something different besides all maple, all birch. There's 2-thin plies of walnut on the interior of the shell that I think make them project a little more. The bass is boomy, and I like the way it sounds compared to my old Supe. Different heads though, so that matters. My opinion, let your ears and bank account decide, that's what I did.

25.Re:Help with Drums! [Re: SpliffBurton] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: EvalataMaina
Posted on: Jun 9, 2005 6:16 PM

SpliffBurton wrote:
Hi,

After selling my old Tama Superstar a while back, I decided on getting a Mapex Saturn after hearing the toms and bass at a local drum shop and a lot of great reviews about the sound. No complaints, they're really great. I also wanted something different besides all maple, all birch. There's 2-thin plies of walnut on the interior of the shell that I think make them project a little more. The bass is boomy, and I like the way it sounds compared to my old Supe. Different heads though, so that matters. My opinion, let your ears and bank account decide, that's what I did.

Not only that Mapex also has the not so costly ALL maple sets. Before they did a mix of maple and basswood. But they made a whitch to ALL maple only july 26,2004, and thats bot for the M AND the Pro-M series.

26.Re:Help with Drums! [Re: abba_freak] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: SpliffBurton
Posted on: Jun 9, 2005 6:50 PM

Yes, right they do...

I like the finishes, too.... I just got the Transparent Black, because that's just what I like and prefer... Black with Chrome hardware.
The grain of the maple also shows through, it looks very sleek. Just wish they had more color options, they need to add some more choices to their finishes. The Orion Burlwood's have some crazy looking ones, very exotic. But, if anyone was to go with a Mapex, I'd say get a Saturn or Orion, mainly because of the better features, and buy a shell pack then hardware seperate. Also, don't get SKB cases, you're gonna need some that will fit their mounts. I exchanged my SKB's and am going to have my XL Specialty's here in hopefully 6 weeks or so.

Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2012 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 29 milliseconds