Topic: very old drum, shell kit

Print this page

1.very old drum, shell kit Copy to clipboard
Posted by: schizo
Posted on: Jul 9, 2005 5:02 AM

Hey I just baught an old drum kit
I think it's an old sonor, all the rims are really old and everything works with a screwdriver

so now I'm thinking to customise it
just start again from the shell's
give it a nice paint job
buy myself new rims, heads , holders
stuff like that

so what I want to know now, I want to make a jasskit out of it
what parts do you guys recommend ?

thx

2.Re:very old drum, shell kit [Re: schizo] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: stefkedrum
Posted on: Jul 9, 2005 5:33 AM

hey schizo, got any pic's to share?.....really wanna see it...I'm a fan of old kit's!

If you want to re-wrap the kit, I've got a cool address for you in Brussels....for not a lotta money...they also make drumsets (ever heard of Hudson?)

He can surely spraypaint it, or give you a good choice on some really old-school wrap's or newer ones...

Hudson - Sonorus
02/511.11.63

Rue Bodeghem straat (have no nr)

it is in the neighborhood of the south railway station...

Give em a call for an appointment, 'cause he's working only with an aid in his shop...this will give you the opportunity to go deeper into the subject..

If you need time to decide on wrap's, he gives you samples of every kind he has or what you want to decide out!

has a whole bunch off hardware to choose from too, with reasonable prices...give it a try...you won't be dissapointed..

3.Re:very old drum, shell kit [Re: schizo] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: RvJim
Posted on: Jul 9, 2005 5:49 AM

Do yourself a favour and go to the music store and buy a Sonor tuning key so you don't bugger up the rods by using a screw driver! I'm using an old Sonor kit atm (My kit is stuff so I've borrowed one) and it sounds wickd, don't want to give it bak, looks terrible though.

4.Re:very old drum, shell kit [Re: schizo] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: NOTtoeknee
Posted on: Jul 9, 2005 6:41 AM

im doing to same thing to a set of old ludwigs right now (finding the right lugs is a real BEEIoch) but will be well worth it when im done - i say go with a wrap (just to save yourself the head-ach)

i spent the last 3 days going back and checking my work (i just repaired a couple cracks on the drums bearing edges and filled some wholes) aswell as sanded all the glue (maybe horse hide glue) whatever it was it was hard to get off

but now im choosing wraps (steph was talking about that one plce but i dont see why it would be so hard to get wraps from the states (U.S.A.) i would just think it couls you lil extra

5.Re:very old drum, shell kit [Re: schizo] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: PoorButGood
Posted on: Jul 9, 2005 7:54 AM

well getting it rewrapped needs a pretty local place and since you're from Belgium, I can't help you on that one. As for the rims, I'd say go with either die-cast or the yamaha vintage wooden maple hoops. it depends on what kind of sound you want.

but if you go to the place that Stephan recommended, you can ask the guy there. I'm sure he'll be more experienced in this stuff than me. Sad

6.Re:very old drum, shell kit [Re: schizo] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: tracer
Posted on: Jul 10, 2005 7:45 AM

How old?
Man .....
I have seen old slingerland, ludwig, and pearl, b-4, but Sonor?
I like to see that kit.

7.Re:very old drum, shell kit [Re: schizo] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: Crusher
Posted on: Jul 10, 2005 7:53 AM

They could be Premieres. I played once in a pipeband that had those lugs. Get the proper key as those lugs are expensive to replace and esy to ruin.

8.Re:very old drum, shell kit [Re: schizo] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Jul 10, 2005 8:59 AM

at least the snare is a sonor

I still have to go get it
so I'll post some pics as soon as possible
and I think it's gonna be hell to find a proper key
I think it will be best to buy some new
'cause they are oxidated but the wood is still in great condition

9.Re:very old drum, shell kit [Re: schizo] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Jul 10, 2005 9:13 AM

The key is easy to get. justgo to a music store.

10.Re:very old drum, shell kit [Re: schizo] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Jul 10, 2005 9:30 AM

it's not a regular one you know

but ok I'll go and ask if they can get one

it's not like the square, it's more like you have to use a screwdriver

11.Re:very old drum, shell kit [Re: schizo] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: Crusher
Posted on: Jul 10, 2005 11:37 AM

Try a preimere key. It should fit.

12.Re:very old drum, shell kit [Re: schizo] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Jul 10, 2005 3:18 PM

schizo wrote:
it's not a regular one you know

but ok I'll go and ask if they can get one

it's not like the square, it's more like you have to use a screwdriver

I know exactly what it looks like I'm using a really old Sonor kit atm, and getting a key is very easy.

13.Re:very old drum, shell kit [Re: schizo] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: xshock
Posted on: Jul 10, 2005 7:54 PM

yeah, sonor, the smug bastards, thought they were doing a good thing by using their proprietary tension rod head design.

14.Re:very old drum, shell kit [Re: schizo] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: DutchEric
Posted on: Jul 12, 2005 12:59 AM

he schizo , hearing yr story abt the kit , thinkit is an old sonor champion. if yr looking for the original drumkey, go www.stdrums.de should have them there. cool kit to refurbish.

a mate of mine has done the same will show you some pics, of the almost finished result!!

15.Re:very old drum, shell kit [Re: schizo] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: Dan
Posted on: Jul 12, 2005 1:11 AM

Guys guys, sonor's are actually EASIER to tune. Got a quarter or a nickel? (or a pound coin in england, or a euro, etc). Thats the trick.

I've owned a 50's sonor 20-13-16 kit. Sounded insanely cool, couldn't keep it, just didn't have the space. Great drums though. Finding replacement lugs is tough though, hopefully they're all in working order.

16.Re:very old drum, shell kit [Re: schizo] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: Yojan
Posted on: Jul 12, 2005 4:13 AM

Crusher is right, Premiers also used slot headed rods. I got rid of mine, because they were wearing out chrome and thread wise, but vintage (pre 90) premiers also came with them. As for wraps, www.jamminsam.com is what I used, it ships abroad cheaply and very fast.

J.

<edit> you can find the origional key on ebay quite cheaply.

17.Re:very old drum, shell kit [Re: schizo] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: NOTtoeknee
Posted on: Jul 12, 2005 5:11 AM

or you could just bid on this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=64439&item=7334807935&rd=1

18.Re:very old drum, shell kit [Re: schizo] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: DutchEric
Posted on: Jul 12, 2005 5:46 AM

What Dan said it's a*** trying to find 2ndhand sonor stuff,.. ! one advise check german auction sites , enough sonor stuff is available there, some authentic sonor, some replica. or ask me , i might be able to hook you up with some sonor stuff at good prices .

eric den hollander

19.Re:very old drum, shell kit [Re: schizo] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Jul 27, 2005 2:02 AM

ok the heads on the toms are remo sound masters
how old are they aproximately ?

and euhm someone painted the inside AND the outside

any tips on getting the paint off ?

with a heater, or sandingpaper ?

20.Re:very old drum, shell kit [Re: schizo] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: stefkedrum
Posted on: Jul 27, 2005 2:32 AM

I wouldn't use sandpaper. You'll be sanding the damn thing forever since I recon it will be a thick layer off paint....

A heater sounds more reasonable, but might have it's downsides as well, maybe it can damage the shells as well...products to eat away the paint?....also two sides to consider...

Really, Schizo, call the guy in Bxl...he'll provide a good answer, he's been working on drums all his life, and his dad before him....

Don't wanna sound demanding or nosy or anything, but I would get the info where I'm sure I could find it..

Just my 2cts

Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 34 milliseconds