Topic: Best microphone for singing drummers?

Print this page

1.Best microphone for singing drummers? Copy to clipboard
Posted by: Andy
Posted on: Aug 23, 2005 9:50 AM

For all you singing drummers, I'm looking at upgrading my current vocal mic. (I don't like headset mics) I'm currently using an old Electro Voice that's not too bad and am thinking about moving to a Shure SM58. What do you suggest?

2.Re:Best microphone for singing drummers? [Re: Andy] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: emo_metal
Posted on: Aug 23, 2005 9:51 AM

my band uses all shure mics, i love them

3.Re:Best microphone for singing drummers? [Re: Andy] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: pgdrums
Posted on: Aug 23, 2005 10:07 AM

I used an SM58 back when I was singing, and it was fine. There are better mics out there, but much like the SM57, the SM58 has developed a reputation as a reliable workhorse mic. If you can afford the Beta 58 instead, it seems to have a bit more presence and a bit more gain before feedback. I also think it has a tighter cardiod pattern, which is helpful in keeping your drums from bleeding into your vocal mic.

You may already have this, but the best discovery I made when I was singing was a mic cable with an on-off switch at the mic end of it, so you can turn it off when you're not singing. Before I got that, the soundman would always mute my vocal channel to clean up the mix when I wasn't singing. If I wanted to say something spontaneous into the mic in between songs or something like that, I couldn't because I was muted. This cable will allow the soundman to leave your channel on and give you control over when you shut it off. You also can turn it off and push the mic out of your way when not singing, without having to worry about feedback through your monitor.

4.Re:Best microphone for singing drummers? [Re: Andy] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: LilDrmr
Posted on: Aug 23, 2005 11:13 AM

One of those Shure head seat microphones.

5.Re:Best microphone for singing drummers? [Re: Andy] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: leeroy_dork
Posted on: Aug 23, 2005 3:58 PM

BETA 58 is pretty good. You can't beat old faithful 58s or 57 though.

edit - woah, that post didnt't make sense.

6.Re:Best microphone for singing drummers? [Re: Andy] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: psychodrummer
Posted on: Aug 23, 2005 7:04 PM

My singer and I both used SM58's for a while and they worked well. Then he bought a Beta 58 that sounded a little warmer and nicer than the SM. I tried a headset once, but I wasn't too impressed (a normal mic gave me a much "fuller" sound, if you will). I then came across a Sennhieser MD431, and it blew every other vocal mic that any of us have used away. My singer now wants to replace his Beta 58 with one. I don't think that there is such thing as a "best" microphone for singing drummers, but I'd go with the MD431 or the Neumann KMS 105 (I've heard very good things about it, and it's a Neumann). They're beter quality than anything that I've ever seen from Shure.

7.Re:Best microphone for singing drummers? [Re: Andy] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: JD1
Posted on: Aug 23, 2005 9:09 PM

Try a Numann Solution DS....retails for about $18,000
on sale at roughly $13,999 ya thats a good mic!

ok seriously....best mic Rode S1 are exceptional live vocal mics. List about $600 but can be found for $300
These absolutly rule over anything Shure makes for live vocals. So if your going to spend about $250 on a beta 58
Do yourself a favor IM 110% SERIOUS~ Try saving $50 more
for the Rode S1....if (live) vocals are important buy the best.

If your only doing back up vocals go buy a used 58 (test it)
I mean back ups unless, your really part of a 3pt harmony
or doing some lead vocals.....you dont need much more than a
standard sm58.

8.Re:Best microphone for singing drummers? [Re: Andy] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: Dan
Posted on: Aug 23, 2005 9:44 PM

A 58 has is a known quantity, is built like a tank, always works, soundmen know it, and its 65 bucks.

9.Re:Best microphone for singing drummers? [Re: Andy] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: Cogliostro
Posted on: Aug 24, 2005 11:24 AM

Beta 58...no question. Great mic, very solid. Also, the new Beta 54 headset mic. I used to use the Crown CM311, which is probably the best sounding headset mic I've ever heard, the only problem is that the front of the mic picks up as well as the back, so cymbal and snare bleed is a problem. I accidently dropped mine in a toilet at a gig, so that was the end of that.

10.Re:Best microphone for singing drummers? [Re: Andy] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: Schyler
Posted on: Aug 29, 2005 2:28 PM

Shure sm57 is very directional, meaning it blocks out a lot of background noise. Its durability and reputation over the years speaks for itself, also.

Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 22 milliseconds