Remo
DrumTalk » Ask Remo

Re-coating Drum Heads
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster Re-coating Drum Heads
ktsmith2557

Score: 0
No. 1 Posted on Oct 1, 2009 7:45 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Whatever happened to the aerosol cans of refinish compound that was used to refurbish the "grit" of snare drum heads, enhance brushwork, etc.?

We used to spray some grit onto the drum head every week or so in order to maximize our brushwork sounds. I looked for some the other day at Minneapolis' Ellis Drum Shop but the folks there said they never even heard of such a product.

I can't be THAT OLD!

Ken Smith
ktsmith2557@gmail.com

Lobo

No. 2 Posted on Oct 10, 2009 5:18 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I've heard of that before, a long time ago. I'm pretty sure they stopped making it. Trying to cheat us out of our money.

Tanimal

TAN-I-MAL!

No. 3 Posted on Oct 10, 2009 6:39 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I think they use something similar for skateboards sometimes, it would be black, but you could try that.

drums>life
Crusher

Score: 102
No. 4 Posted on Oct 10, 2009 7:03 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Lobo wrote:
I've heard of that before, a long time ago. I'm pretty sure they stopped making it. Trying to cheat us out of our money.

what exactly are you implying here?

Musicians Wisdom

Communicate! It can't make things any worse.
pwc

Score: 18
No. 5 Posted on Oct 10, 2009 7:07 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Once, when needing to play a brushes gig on a worn head, I made a very fine grid pattern by gently scoring the head with the back of a knife point and a ruler. It worked but sandpaper is the recommended way to refresh the texture on a coated head. I knew a guy who would use hair spray and talcum powder to re-coat his snare head but built up such a residue that it acted as a muffle and deadened it.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
seeitshimmer

No. 6 Posted on Oct 11, 2009 8:18 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
pwc wrote:
Once, when needing to play a brushes gig on a worn head, I made a very fine grid pattern by gently scoring the head with the back of a knife point and a ruler. It worked but sandpaper is the recommended way to refresh the texture on a coated head. I knew a guy who would use hair spray and talcum powder to re-coat his snare head but built up such a residue that it acted as a muffle and deadened it.

I would expect the same from any spray on product.

Lobo

No. 7 Posted on Oct 12, 2009 10:25 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Crusher wrote:
what exactly are you implying here?

Nothing by it, most honorable Moderator. Praise Remo!

Crusher

Score: 102
No. 8 Posted on Oct 13, 2009 11:12 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Despite what some opinions are here Remo backs everything they sell and will not "rip you off". You have 2 choices which you can do.

1. Bring them back to the store you got them from and ask for a refund.

2. Contact the customer service reps here: contact us
You can email or call the number at the bottom of the page or even write to the company snail mail. If it were up to me I think calling would be your best solution based on the amounts of email Remo gets per day.

Musicians Wisdom

Communicate! It can't make things any worse.
Boettcher68

Tim

No. 9 Posted on Oct 13, 2009 3:44 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Lobo wrote:
Nothing by it, most honorable Moderator. Praise Remo!

Why do you have to be an asz???

PeteNoAccess

No. 10 Posted on Oct 13, 2009 11:47 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Boettcher68 wrote:

true he is,

but he has a point,if you are a drummer that uses brushes and the coating goes you have 3 choices:

Carry on and ignore it
Buy the same head again and risk it happen again
Switch brands or change heads

all but the most inconvenient cost money.

but i dunno, since i dont use brushes that much.

AD Custom Drums
Amedia Turkish Cymbals
pwc

No. 11 Posted on Oct 14, 2009 12:05 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
PeteNoAccess wrote:
but i dunno, since i dont use brushes that much.

Well I do, in every set of every gig, so re-read what I said above.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Lobo

No. 12 Posted on Oct 14, 2009 9:53 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Boettcher68 wrote:

All I'm trying to do is not get my ban on.

PeteNoAccess

No. 13 Posted on Oct 14, 2009 11:17 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
pwc wrote:
Well I do, in every set of every gig, so re-read what I said above.

i wasnt challenging you mate, you have alot more experience than me about this, hense you are one of the people that makes this forum so knowlagable.

i wasnt saying you were wrong, in fact i agree with you on the most part.
i was just trying to validate some of what lobo said, because i can kinda see where he is coming from.

i didnt mean any offence mate.

AD Custom Drums
Amedia Turkish Cymbals
pwc

No. 14 Posted on Oct 15, 2009 12:01 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Pete, I wasn't offended but my reply was not expressed very well. Sorry. My point was that one CAN solve things in the short term for very little money via sandpaper and/or scoring the head as I had written. Cheers.

PeteNoAccess

No. 15 Posted on Oct 15, 2009 12:42 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
thats cool man Smile

sorry again!!

AD Custom Drums
Amedia Turkish Cymbals

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 38 milliseconds