Remo
DrumTalk » Drum Talk

anyone knows the pearl's optimount system?
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster anyone knows the pearl's optimount system?
kudoco

Adrian

No. 1 Posted on Aug 23, 2006 10:30 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
is it a good suspension system?

Is it better than pearls I.S.S?

Adam

No. 2 Posted on Aug 23, 2006 11:33 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I'll put it this way:

Optimounts come on Masters, Masterworks and Reference kits; the ISS ships on Exports.

Internet ass bag.
I'm Canadian, eh?
moneyowen

No. 3 Posted on Aug 24, 2006 5:23 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Well...they used to ship Masters with ISS. Now it's new and improved.

Personally I never liked the ISS too much. Some years ago I was putting some drums together and was planning on using a RIMS mount. The store didn't have a RIMS but they did have the then-new ISS. so I bought one. It worked pretty well. The drums have a bit of wobble or bounce, more so than with RIMS. I never liked the way they clamped on the rim. Several occasions, the ISS kind of just popped off the drum. Never while I was playing it, but when I was setting up and the drum was like, sitting on the floor and I go to pick it up and the thing just kind of fell off.
Never happened while I was playing it, I think thw weight of the drum actually helps keep it on there.
Plus I heard a lot of internet nattering about how it would warp your hoops, but never had that happen (lots of chatter about YESS mounts stressing shells too, but I never heard of it actually happening. )

I think it's a pretty good lower cost no hole drilling system that would be cool especially if you were already using 7/8ths inch pipe, a la Pearl mounts to mount your drums.
If you had a choice, I think the optis would be much better. I personally have not used kits with opti mounts but they look much more substantial.

I have used RIMS since they came out in the 80's. On some drums, they open up the sound a bit. Great in a real close miked studio scrutinization situation. Overall though in general use, suspension mounting is a lot of hoo ha.
Drums can work great without them. If you were building a kit, or had NO mounting system on there, it's a good way to go. Spending the $$ to put it on an existing system, changing out the old one, you enter the land of diminishing returns pretty quickly.

Nico

Life is drumming!

No. 4 Posted on Aug 24, 2006 6:01 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Very good review Moneyowen.
I haven't used any of them, but I've read a lotWink. It is said that Optimounts are sturdier, and your drums won't wobble that much. JD states that they are the best "no shell touching" mounts, he can give a much better hands on opinion.
I use RIMS, and my only complain is when changing and tuning the batter head, it can be a pain in the butt; other than that, they work great. I combine RIMS with Pearl's tom mounting bracket and unilock tom arms. IMO, Pearls builds one of the best hardware pieces out there.
Bottom line is, if I had optimounts available down here, I would definately buy them.
Just my opinion.
Cheers!

My music www.soundclick.com/jorgesalo
Member since September 2004
Pearl EXR 7 piece kit in Strata blue
Pics here: http://www.remo.com/forum/post/view?bid=3&id=1
ModernDrummer

No. 5 Posted on Aug 24, 2006 8:14 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I converted to Optimounts a while back, previously having the I.S.S. mounts.

What I like about the Optimounts is the fact that they mount to the top AND bottom of the drum. My largest rack tom is a 15"x12", thus fairly heavy as rack toms go. While I never had any problem with the I.S.S. mounts at any time, I just feel the Optimounts give better support, and wobble much less.

I guess the downside is that you lose some freedom in placement of the mount on the drum. The Optimounts are attached to the lugs / tension rods. Which means you can attach them to any set of tension rods, but you can't slide them around say, 1/4" or so if you wanted, like you can the I.S.S. mounts.

I haven't found this to be a negative, and I prefer the added stability / security, but this could possibly be a concern for someone that has to have their toms mounted "just so".

07 May, 2001

StillKicken

No. 6 Posted on Aug 24, 2006 8:59 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I converted to the RIMS system. It was a big improvement over the old style Ludwig mounts.

I have NO problem tuning my drums. You just use a drum tuning key in the normal fashion.

Sherm

Nico

Life is drumming!

No. 7 Posted on Aug 24, 2006 9:56 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
StillKicken wrote:
...I have NO problem tuning my drums. You just use a drum tuning key in the normal fashion.

Sherm

LOL ShermBig Smile
The problem I have is not tuning by itself, but to get the rim to reach the lug nut. I don't know if mine are defective, but I have to literally "bend" the RIMS rim, for it to reach.
Cheers!

NOTtoeknee

i hit things

No. 8 Posted on Aug 24, 2006 12:00 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
ya that second one you posted looks like it would bend the hoop if you really were rockin hard

i have always thought the that first one of a good design

(they keeps these pearl mounting system in stores???) damn i should have looked before i ordered the "rims" ones

myspace.com/innCINEMA
myspace.com/RHYMESwithMUSIC
myspace.com/poorpauly

yamaha maple absolute nouveau, ask me and i'll tell you why...
kudoco

Adrian

No. 9 Posted on Aug 24, 2006 12:10 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
the thing is that I have a pearl exr with the ISS system, I just wanted your opinnion about the suspension systems

StillKicken

No. 10 Posted on Aug 24, 2006 3:41 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Nico wrote:
LOL ShermBig Smile
The problem I have is not tuning by itself, but to get the rim to reach the lug nut. I don't know if mine are defective, but I have to literally "bend" the RIMS rim, for it to reach.
Cheers!

Sorry, I was hoping you would take that as a joke!

You are right you do have to bend the RIMS in some cases. The first instruction sheet I read did not mention bending (probably and older version) on another sheet out of another box it did state that some bending may be necessary. Not sure but I think my 10" needed a slight adjustment.

Sherm

Nico

Life is drumming!

No. 11 Posted on Aug 25, 2006 5:40 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
StillKicken wrote:
Sorry, I was hoping you would take that as a joke!

Sherm

No prob Sherm. I didSmile
I just wanted to elaborate on the RIMS bending issue.
Cheers!

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 31 milliseconds