Remo
DrumTalk » Drum Talk

DURTY CYMBALS
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster DURTY CYMBALS
toeknee

eats with feet

No. 1 Posted on Feb 21, 2005 6:11 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Iím looking for an opinion about cymbal cleaning, some people say it ruins the cymbal and other I have herd say that the gunk/tarnish a bell gains shows character and adds to breaking in a new cymbal

Personally I use GROOVE JUICE (and would like other input on other products) and clean old T-shirts (I have allot of t-shirt, but now Iím out_a juice) got any ideas
TOE KNEE

::insert witty comment here::
skinhead

No. 2 Posted on Feb 21, 2005 6:22 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I like ShineOn or Buckaroo. It's a gauze like material treated with a wax and solvent blend. Just be careful around your black logos if you care about them. Some elbow grease is required, but worth the effort IMO. Buy a can and try it out, if you hate it I'll buy it off you!

pgdrums

No. 3 Posted on Feb 21, 2005 10:11 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
This topic has come up in several different threads recently. I think the article attached to this link does a good job of shedding some light on this issue.

http://www.cse.ogi.edu/Drum/FAQ/cymbal.html

Hope this helps.

tracer

No. 4 Posted on Feb 21, 2005 1:23 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Toe there is a very long thread on this in here.
But I am alone with my opinion on cleaning cymbals.
I take different route that everyone .
I do not strip or clean my cymbals.
I never let harsh chemicals or solvents touch my new cymbals.
Well they are mostly over 6 yrs old, still new to me.
All I use is polish.
Pledge is the best.
I have tried solvents cleaners in the past and after 40 black rags and dye hands.
I said forget it.

I started my new cymbals right off the bat with pledge.
After every show I wipe the cymbals down with a little pledge and store them in my vault.
They look like new still.

The old cymbals that were stripped look hazy and oxidized.
Not saying all cymbals will turn out that way if you clean them,But i seen many turn Grey green and palish color.

HammerDown

No. 5 Posted on Feb 21, 2005 4:08 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I found one of my old bottles of Zildjian cymbal cleaner, that's some 20+ years old. and it still worked great (really)!

HammerDown

No. 6 Posted on Feb 21, 2005 4:11 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
One more...PS these cymbals are some 30 years old, I know for sure I bought the 15" Heavy Rock socks in 1973.

HammerDown edited on Feb 21, 2005 4:13 PM

StillKickinIt

Poopeye

No. 7 Posted on Feb 21, 2005 5:23 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Good grief! PLEDGE??!! sorry but they probably don't ring out much anymore....
Keep cymbals clean...they sound like they are supposed to. Mine are all about 25 years old, kept clean and it hasn't hurt them one bit. If you let them tarnish and go green, that will eventually eat them up. Corrosion...bad.
Correct me if I'm wrong about that but I've seen the green leave marks.
Plus all that crud transfers to your drum heads...what a mess.

Kick me...beat me....hit me with sticks....
psychodrummer

Pikachu!!!

No. 8 Posted on Feb 21, 2005 5:41 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I've only really used groove juice, and it works just fine. I can go through a bottle of it pretty fast though, if I want to make all my cymbals look nice right before a show. It's good stuff though, I'd highly recommend it.

Gretsch Renown Maple drums, among other stuff

www.filthandfury.net
http://www.purevolume.com/filthandfury

-Alex

tracer

No. 9 Posted on Feb 22, 2005 12:00 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Hammer?
What are the black streaks on some of your crashes from?
Is that a shadow? maybe?
Looks like a ring on a couple near edges.

tracer

No. 10 Posted on Feb 22, 2005 12:05 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Good grief! PLEDGE??!! sorry but they probably don't ring out much anymore....

Ring out?
No they do not ring.

But they project.
My A sounds crisp,
My K dark as usual
My z over rides Any amp or keyboard known to man.........

What is your point?

You think I dip my cymbals in lemon wax?

LOL
give me a break.

I put a very small amount on a rag and wipe.

According to theses pics i see in these threads of buffed and stripped cymbals.............
I think I'm ahead of the gm
Personally.
Keep cymbals clean...they sound like they are supposed to

WELL...........
Theses are 6 yrs old and never been stripped cleaned by any water solvents or abrasives.
Where is green?

Click here to open a new window

tracer edited on Feb 22, 2005 12:24 PM

Liber_Aleph

No. 11 Posted on Feb 22, 2005 12:06 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I've said this once and I'll say it again. I DO NOT advise using cymbal cleaner.
I got some Groove Juice a while ago, sprayed it on my cymbal, my eyes started stinging and I almost choked myself to death before I even got out of the room. I immediately washed it off my precious cymbal and never used it again.
It's a strong chemical that burns off dirt and tarnish. I would advise it's use if you are cleaning an old tarnished cymbal (it can BURN rust and tarnish and anything that isn't brass off a cymbal).
It DOES corrode your cymbals, guy at the D'Addario told me when I wrote to them.

I simply wash my cymbals with soap and warm water (something that I WOULD put on my face) after I play. They are always shiny and in tip top comdition. AND I've had them for YEARS...Since 1976, I just checked that.

Liber_Aleph edited on Feb 22, 2005 12:09 PM

Something amusing.
HammerDown

No. 12 Posted on Feb 22, 2005 1:11 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
tracer wrote:
Hammer?
What are the black streaks on some of your crashes from?
Is that a shadow? maybe?
Looks like a ring on a couple near edges.

Could be reflection...the one with the Zildjian name I use for chokeing...and I'll just wipe the finger prints it off after. They are all due for another polishing. And honestly, that 20+ year old bottle of Zildjian polish I found still worked perfect! I don't have a problem advertising the products I use. Actually it's more a pride thing.
Ludwid,
Zildjian,
Remo,
Pearl.

StillKickinIt

Poopeye

No. 13 Posted on Feb 23, 2005 7:06 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Cripe Chaser...sorry. It just didn't sound right when I first read it. My experience with Pledge on furniture gave me the impression it left a lot of "coating" on the surface. The green I was referring to was when nothing is done, not your cymbals.
Meant no offense, please excuse my face.

Kick me...beat me....hit me with sticks....
toeknee

eats with feet

No. 14 Posted on Feb 23, 2005 7:29 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
tracer wrote:
According to theses pics i see in these threads of buffed and stripped cymbals.............
I think I'm ahead of the gm
Personally.

WELL...........
Theses are 6 yrs old and never been stripped cleaned by any water solvents or abrasives.
Where is green?

Click here to open a new window

i would be a little more worried about why you have a 6 year old cymbal WITH THE BAR CODE STILL ON IT!! The only cymbal I have ever had anywhere near that long is my ride (& my quick beats Hi-Ha is getting up there in age too)

i cant even imagine having a cymbal for that long.

ďthey look like useful handsĒ
TOE KNEE

StillKicken

No. 15 Posted on Feb 23, 2005 11:19 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Lookie there he plays such sweet music he just goes right off to sleep.

Sherm

tracer

No. 16 Posted on Feb 23, 2005 11:25 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
True.
That pic was taken on New years Day.

I was not to fresh and alert.

tracer

No. 17 Posted on Feb 23, 2005 11:30 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
cant even imagine having a cymbal for that long.

I can not imagine having the money you have to replace cymbals all the time.

My 5 cymbals cost more than my kit is worth.......lol

My measly 60k a yr is no match for that kind of spending.

paul

paulmiller

No. 18 Posted on Feb 23, 2005 1:12 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I have a ride cymbal I've owned for over 40 years, and several others I've had for more than 25. If it's a good cymbal why get rid of it?

They all get a treatment with Bar Keepers Friend every few months to keep them nice and shiny.

toeknee

eats with feet

No. 19 Posted on Feb 23, 2005 3:51 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
hey hey I didn't say your couldnít own anything that long... then again Iím almost sure I have ADD and personally if I have any kind of drum equipment for that long Iím positive its gonna break (the add thing Iím not that sure about, but i know my parents were hippies) o_O

as for the pledge discussion, my bass player uses pledge on his bass and swears it doesnít hurt it at all. Although thatís two totally different materials, bass is the second coolest instrument and josh is a pretty weird guy so Iím not gonna argue with him. On top of that, I have herd many people say that pledge does not hurt anything ďitís just a polishĒ. I guess I could try it one 16"A custom fast crash (thoughs only last 5 months::: GOD BLESS the g.c. performance guaranty)

toeknee edited on Feb 23, 2005 3:55 PM

Boojum

that

No. 20 Posted on Apr 10, 2005 9:35 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
paul wrote:
They all get a treatment with Bar Keepers Friend every few months to keep them nice and shiny.

I finally cleaned my cymbals today, and I used Bar Keeper's Friend, and it worked great.

Thanks Paul.

I wanted a Monty Python quote but it was too many chars...
'We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit.'
-Aristotle.
'Spell it right. Or else.'
-El Booj
TubSlapper

No. 21 Posted on Apr 10, 2005 6:03 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I used Sabian cymbal cleaner on my Zildjian 17" A Medium Crash and it is getting all of these silvery stains on it and I followed the directions to a T. The people at the music shop said it would work fine on any cymbals...I dont think I am gonna shine my cymbals with anything unless they are caked in dirt...

paul

paulmiller

No. 22 Posted on Apr 10, 2005 6:47 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I'm glad it worked for you, Boojum. Just passing along a tip that someone else gave me.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely preferable to the presence of those who think they've found it. - Terry Pratchett

Just Add Sticks

metaldrummer

Location: Los Angeles California.. (well actually like an hour away)
No. 23 Posted on Apr 10, 2005 8:53 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
i use car cleaner stuff i think its made by mothers or somen it works great on other cymbals but it just doesnt work on my bronze b8 sabians it makes em green and i haven't found anything that can clean em yet.Sad

\m/ (O.O) \m/ devil horns raised to every drummer out there! keep on rockin!
pgdrums

No. 24 Posted on Apr 11, 2005 7:42 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I've used both Bar Keepers Friend and Comet on old cymbals, and they work really well. I've never used them new cymbals, though, because I've been concerned that they might be too abrasive for the protective coating. You'll notice after you use those cleaners that, although they really clean the cymbals up nicely, they also make your cymbals more prone to fingerprinting.

Maybe I'm overly paranoid, but I've always used Zildjian brand cleaner on newer cymbals. Probably not as effective as Bar Keepers Friend, but probably a little less harsh. Newer cymbals generally don't need as much cleaning, so I've always taken the safer route with them. I'd recommend finding a cleaning solution with a potency that's commensurate with the condition of the cymbals you're cleaning.

RvJim

Reverend

No. 25 Posted on Apr 11, 2005 7:47 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
After your cymbals get dirty enough the dirt appears even and they don't look dirty anymore Smile

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously"
-Hubert H Humphrey
Go to page 12 Next

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 49 milliseconds