Remo
DrumTalk » Drum Talk

REMO ACOUSTICON DRUMS
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster REMO ACOUSTICON DRUMS
xsabers

No. 1 Posted on Apr 30, 2013 9:54 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
IMO, these are some of the best kept secrets out there. I own a 5-piece that I am having a hard time identifying. It has the preferred Acousticon R shells and RIMS style mounts. The badges are the crown style but they don't indicate the model (MasterTouch, MasterEdge, etc...). It's is a red wrap. Looks brand new and sounds like a million bucks with coated Ambassadors on it. Internet searches are not very helpful. Is there a source for information about the various REMO Drums anywhere? Can someone here help? I've read the term MasterSound in this forum and elswhere regarding REMO drums. Was that name ever used?

Thanks,
x

Singlestroker

No. 2 Posted on Apr 30, 2013 1:18 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I'm no expert. Perhaps the fact that I've never heard of Remo Mastersound confirms that. I might be able to throw some light on it and I think there will be others that definitely can. A photograph is essential, though.

xsabers

No. 3 Posted on Apr 30, 2013 3:21 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Ok, here ya go!

(Click the picture to view the original one)

RvJim

Reverend

No. 4 Posted on Apr 30, 2013 4:39 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
We've had a few members in the past that owned Remo drums, but they don't tend to post any more.

I have a 50th Anniversary Remo snare. Only cost $400 and it sounds amazing, really poor throw off though.

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously"
-Hubert H Humphrey
Singlestroker

No. 5 Posted on Apr 30, 2013 10:14 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I am pretty confident that it's a Bravo II kit. I believe that the Pearl-style tomtom mount on the bass drum distinguishes it from the original Bravo, which, I believe, had a single-post tomtom mount. There may be other differences that aren't apparent from the appearance.

I agree with you about the quality of Remo drums. They are way up there with the best IMHO.

Singlestroker edited on May 1, 2013 1:35 AM

xsabers

No. 6 Posted on May 1, 2013 1:23 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Singlestroker wrote:
I am pretty confident that it's a Bravo II kit. I believe that the Pearl-style tomtom mount on the bass drum distinguishes it from the original Bravo, which, I believe, had a single-post tomtom mount. There may be other differences that aren't apparent from the appearance.

I agree with you about the quality of Remo drums. They are way up there with the best IMHO.

Thanks. I agree about the twin post hardware being the same as on the Bravo II, but every pic I've found shows shell mounted hardware. Mine has the RIMS style mounts, which appear to be original as there is no sign of hardware ever being bolted to the shell. Perhaps I have a newer model??? Also, the text on the 1999 press release introducing the Bravo II indicates it's a bit of a beginner's set. I don't see or hear anything about this kit that would make me think it's anything less than a high quality kit.

Thanks again!

Singlestroker

No. 7 Posted on May 1, 2013 1:35 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
xsabers wrote:
.... I don't see or hear anything about this kit that would make me think it's anything less than a high quality kit...

... unless, of course, the Bravo was marketed as a low-end kit but built to a higher specification. It's just the sort of thing that Remo would do, and they have not been the only makers to do likewise. I have to confess that I have never seen a Bravo kit except in a picture; however, I strongly suspect from what I have read on the subject that I am on the right track here.

Of course, as a Remo player myself (Mastertouch and Masteredge) I'll be interested to hear if you discover otherwise.

By the way, the Masteredge models themselves started out with shell-mounted tomtoms but ended up with RIMS-style mounts.

One further point: as Remo drums are worth somewhere just short of damn all second hand, much as I love them, I think you've hit on what matters, whatever model name you give them, which is that they are great drums.

xsabers

No. 8 Posted on May 2, 2013 1:44 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I appreciate all the info. My curiosity needs to know a difinitive answer though. I sure wish the badges contained more info. FWIW - I paid $299 for these with a matching snare. Money well spent, IMO.

Singlestroker

No. 9 Posted on May 2, 2013 2:28 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Of course I understand and respect your wish for a definite answer. I think that you'd be well advised to ask Remo themselves.

In the meantime, I can find only one picture of "Remo Mastersound" drums. It is in this Youtube item:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isX1bxeUQ7o

As far as I can ascertain, other references to "Remo Mastersound" that actually lead to a picture lead to that very same video.

As I have been at pains to point out, I don't have complete knowledge and, again, would be interested to know if I am wrong. However, I am wondering if this apparently unique instance of a "Mastersound" drumkit on the web - which looks remarkably like the Bravo II - is unique because the person that posted the video has the name wrong. "Mastertouch" and "Masteredge" are both similar to the Zildjian model name "Mastersound". This forum thread certainly shows that there is some confusion on the matter:

http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/Drum-Forum/Remo-Mastersound-vs-Sonor-Force-3003-vs-Yamaha-SBX/td-p/2732013

As to value, I didn't mean that the kit is worth nothing, but it remains a fact that Remo drums, excellent though they are, have not found wide favour. It is supply and demand that sets the price of secondhand drums (and secondhand anythings), and demand is low. You would struggle to get the equivalent of your price for the kit over here in UK Pounds. That does not necessarily mean that's the case where you live, and even if it does, the fact that you like the kit is surely what matters.

Good hunting!

Assassin

No. 10 Posted on May 2, 2013 4:25 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
They absolutely are the best kept secret out there. I own a Remo kit myself and have played them for years. The Accousticon 516 back in the day was used for both the Bravo and all of the master series. The only difference is that the Bravo kit had horrible hardware and the masters had so-so hardware. That's the only chink in the armor for those old remo kits. Hardware. But I would beef up the hardware and customize it because those shells with decent heads them sound flat out uncredible. They are also remarkably easy to tune. I wouldn't worry about the exact model as the shells are all the same on those old kits. They didn't change anything at all until the gold Crowns were introduced which produce a little bit warmer sound. And if you haven't had the opportunity to check out the new Gold Crowns by all means do so. They are incredible.

xsabers

No. 11 Posted on May 3, 2013 4:54 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Singlestroker wrote:
Of course I understand and respect your wish for a definite answer. I think that you'd be well advised to ask Remo themselves.

In the meantime, I can find only one picture of "Remo Mastersound" drums. It is in this Youtube item:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isX1bxeUQ7o

As far as I can ascertain, other references to "Remo Mastersound" that actually lead to a picture lead to that very same video.

As I have been at pains to point out, I don't have complete knowledge and, again, would be interested to know if I am wrong. However, I am wondering if this apparently unique instance of a "Mastersound" drumkit on the web - which looks remarkably like the Bravo II - is unique because the person that posted the video has the name wrong. "Mastertouch" and "Masteredge" are both similar to the Zildjian model name "Mastersound". This forum thread certainly shows that there is some confusion on the matter:

http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/Drum-Forum/Remo-Mastersound-vs-Sonor-Force-3003-vs-Yamaha-SBX/td-p/2732013

As to value, I didn't mean that the kit is worth nothing, but it remains a fact that Remo drums, excellent though they are, have not found wide favour. It is supply and demand that sets the price of secondhand drums (and secondhand anythings), and demand is low. You would struggle to get the equivalent of your price for the kit over here in UK Pounds. That does not necessarily mean that's the case where you live, and even if it does, the fact that you like the kit is surely what matters.

Good hunting!

That's me in the video....too funny!

Singlestroker

No. 12 Posted on May 3, 2013 11:04 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
xsabers wrote:
That's me in the video....too funny!

Well, yes. Oh My GodLight Bulb

With the percentage-reduction that this represents of those referring to these drums as "Mastersound", how highly do you now rate the probability of this not being a Bravo II kit?

Singlestroker edited on May 3, 2013 11:35 PM

xsabers

No. 13 Posted on May 15, 2013 11:58 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
CONFIRMED: Bravo II circa 1999!

We have a winner! Interesting though that I can't find any pic of a Bravo II that has the same badge and mounting hardware. REMO says this kit's hardware was likely made overseas and the line received some upgrades in the process. I don't care though because it sounds fantastic and it was really inexpensive. The wrap and chrome are fairly immaculate.

Thanks for all the help.

Singlestroker

No. 14 Posted on May 15, 2013 1:10 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
xsabers wrote:CONFIRMED: Bravo II circa 1999!

We have a winner! Interesting though that I can't find any pic of a Bravo II that has the same badge and mounting hardware. REMO says this kit's hardware was likely made overseas and the line received some upgrades in the process. I don't care though because it sounds fantastic and it was really inexpensive. The wrap and chrome are fairly immaculate.

Thanks for all the help.

Yes, Remo seemed to change their badges as often as some apparently change their shirts. It doesn't help one bit with identification.

They've produced some lovely wraps which, like their drums, have often been that bit different from other makers' products, which makes for a distinctive kit. It'll give you a lot of pleasure!

Thumbs upThumbs upCool

Generight

No. 15 Posted on May 22, 2013 2:07 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Post is deleted

RvJim edited on May 30, 2013 4:16 PM

Find SriLankan
Singlestroker

No. 16 Posted on May 22, 2013 11:12 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Generight wrote:
I am a drum enthusiast not a player. I am amazed how much detail the drums and drumming involves. It was very informative know all about a 5 piece.

Please tell us more about that. I haven't heard of too many drum enthusiasts that aren't players.

seeitshimmer

No. 17 Posted on May 30, 2013 8:57 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Singlestroker wrote:
Please tell us more about that. I haven't heard of too many drum enthusiasts that aren't players.

Most likely he just created that post to be able to get a link back to his website. It's a pretty common tactic to try get your website to rank better.

RvJim

Reverend

No. 18 Posted on May 30, 2013 4:18 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
seeitshimmer wrote:
Most likely he just created that post to be able to get a link back to his website. It's a pretty common tactic to try get your website to rank better.

Yes, you are right. I missed this one. We get a few everyday! Sadly, that one is stuck there now as I can't delete posts fully once someone has responded to it. The spammers won't let up, but I will just keep on deleting them! They won't get satisfaction here.

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously"
-Hubert H Humphrey
Singlestroker

No. 19 Posted on May 30, 2013 9:37 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
RvJim wrote:
Yes, you are right. I missed this one. We get a few everyday! Sadly, that one is stuck there now as I can't delete posts fully once someone has responded to it. The spammers won't let up, but I will just keep on deleting them! They won't get satisfaction here.

Apologies for my naivety, Jim.

RvJim

Reverend

No. 20 Posted on Jun 1, 2013 3:01 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Singlestroker wrote:
Apologies for my naivety, Jim.

No need. It doesn't matter! I'm sure I've missed plenty of others!

-Hubert H Humphrey
Timekeep69

No. 21 Posted on Jun 20, 2013 9:43 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I own 2 Remo kits. I love them. They are definitely the most under rated drums out there. You can usually pick them up pretty cheap when you can find them.

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2012 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 52 milliseconds