Remo
DrumTalk » Drum Talk

what are the best remo heads for...............
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster what are the best remo heads for...............
drums

No. 1 Posted on Dec 31, 2005 7:02 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
What are the best remo heads for rock/metal drumming. I just join another band and it's a metallica/pantera band. I want a deep wet thump sound for each of my toms, which sounds good for playing live situations, and I want each head to be durabled, and long lasting. Should I use 2 heads for my toms to get the sound I want, or should I use just 1?

Cj360270

Chris

No. 2 Posted on Dec 31, 2005 8:09 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Try out clear or ebony pinstripes on batter with clear ambassadors as the resonant heads. That should give you a dark, wet sound.

What kind of drums do you have?

Cheers!
-Chris

fvgazi

No. 3 Posted on Dec 31, 2005 9:09 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
When you say live, do you mean miced or unmiced?

i spent it all.
Bugg

No. 4 Posted on Dec 31, 2005 9:39 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I would say buy an unmuffled head like a clear emperor over a clear amb. Then, if you want muffling you can use it for each individual application. If you buy pre-muffled heads then don't like the muffling then you're screwed.

And definatly two heads. (Batter, resonant).

Tim

No. 5 Posted on Jan 1, 2006 3:04 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
If you're miked, then you can almost get anything you want.

If unmiked, then you're much better off with medium weight single ply heads.

If you want a rock sound, use rock tuning and then color that sound with the kind of head that will provide that coloring, like 2-ply, Pinstripe, coated or clear, pre-muffled single ply, pre-muffled 2-ply, or a combination between the toms.

And I definitely recommend both heads to remain on each drum.

Cj360270

Chris

No. 6 Posted on Jan 1, 2006 4:35 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Tim wrote:
And I definitely recommend both heads to remain on each drum.

So true. Its a shame sometimes when drummers just "give up" and remove the resonant head.

Experiment around with different heads, tuning, etc. You will develop a good feel for creating a sound you need. But for rock, try out some 2 ply heads.

Cheers!
-Chris

vanhalen5150

Penguins

No. 7 Posted on Jan 1, 2006 10:12 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I highly recommend clear pinstripes over clear or possibly ebony ambassadors. This will give you that really deep "thump" you are looking for.

Also take the time to try different tuning. As you progress, you will learn how to better tune and then you can pretty much find almost any sound you want, especially with all the heads remo has to offer.

Also I think Vinnie from Pantera used Clear Pinstripe over Ebony ambassadors at some point.

Lars Ulrich also used clear pinstripe too, although he may have switched to emporers by now.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Good luck!

lilblakdak

No. 8 Posted on Jan 1, 2006 10:27 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
What era Metallica sound are you looking for? Cause at one point Lars used concert toms with pinstripes.

Crusher

No. 9 Posted on Jan 1, 2006 11:13 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
lilblakdak wrote:
What era Metallica sound are you looking for? Cause at one point Lars used concert toms with pinstripes.

Then later a coffee can with pebbles in it.

Musicians Wisdom

Communicate! It can't make things any worse.
JasonPierce

No. 10 Posted on Jan 1, 2006 1:09 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Crusher wrote:
Then later a coffee can with pebbles in it.

LOL, yeah.. that sound was dreamy

Jason Pierce
irnub

No. 11 Posted on Jan 1, 2006 3:08 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I'm not sure exactly Vinnie used but it looks like he used Pinstripes and Ebony Ambassadors on his toms, but he's switched to evans and i have no idea what uses with them.I would go with Pinstripes at least though, because i think they both lars and vinnie used them at one point.

drums

No. 12 Posted on Jan 1, 2006 5:59 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Cj360270 wrote:
Try out clear or ebony pinstripes on batter with clear ambassadors as the resonant heads. That should give you a dark, wet sound.

What kind of drums do you have?

Cheers!
-Chris

6 months ago I bought the new tama superstar set (standard)

drums

No. 13 Posted on Jan 1, 2006 6:06 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
fvgazi wrote:
When you say live, do you mean miced or unmiced?
[/
right now unmiced, but I'm going to soon purchased some mics, which mics should I purchase p.s. I'm on a budget

Tim

No. 14 Posted on Jan 2, 2006 6:59 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
But due to personal experience, I agree with Bob Gatzen when he said, "Start with single ply heads. They're the easiest heads on which to learn how to tune". When I switched to single ply heads, I was able to hear things I have never heard before and I was able to learn how to tune because of that.

And then when I went back to Pinstripes later in life, I found that tuning them was much easier because I recognized things that I heard from the single ply heads, and so I was able to tune them properly.

But I prefer the sound of coated medium weight single ply heads over clear ones because that's just what I like.

Anyway, I feel that it's important to know this.

MetalHead

No. 15 Posted on Jan 3, 2006 2:42 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
i'm in a metal band and i use ebony pins over ebony ambos. I actually at one point used clear pins on reso with the ebony pins on batter, sounded really good, it was fat, warm, but didn't ring much, it sounded the same as using those remo o-rings. Hope this helps.

Nico

Life is drumming!

No. 16 Posted on Jan 3, 2006 2:44 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I would go with the proven formula : pins over ambs. I've been using it for almost 7 years now, and love that fat tom sound.
Cheers!
BTW, Welcome to Remo.Big Smile

My music www.soundclick.com/jorgesalo
Member since September 2004
Pearl EXR 7 piece kit in Strata blue
Pics here: http://www.remo.com/forum/post/view?bid=3&id=1
emo_metal

frank the tank

No. 17 Posted on Jan 4, 2006 10:49 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
pins
____ ==== x+2/3+ great soundSmile

ambo's

which drumhead sounds the best?
ZBT's are the shit man!
should i use remo O rings with my pinstripes?
ModernDrummer

No. 18 Posted on Jan 4, 2006 11:01 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I guess I'd suggest Ebony Emperors over Ebony Ambassadors. That might give you the sound you're looking for.

Next suggestion, for a "wet thump", I guess I'd say Evans Hydraulics.

07 May, 2001

fvgazi

No. 19 Posted on Jan 4, 2006 12:13 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
ModernDrummer wrote:
I guess I'd suggest Ebony Emperors over Ebony Ambassadors. That might give you the sound you're looking for.

Don't they only make Ebony Emperors with the crimplock hoops?

i spent it all.
Yojan

No. 20 Posted on Jan 4, 2006 12:29 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I say, along with everyone else, pins over ambs. Ebony will give you a slightly "darker" and more damped sound than clear.

As for tom mics, my sugestion is just to not buy any budget mics, because they will sound rubbish, and you will be wasting your hard saved cash. I suggest Seinhesser E604's for your toms, if you're on a buget of sorts, Shure PG81's as condensors, and Shure SM57s as snare mics. Oh, and an AKG D112 for kick.

www.myspace.com/deathdeniedofficial

Monkey_Drummer

No. 21 Posted on Mar 31, 2006 3:42 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I think you need to really think about what sort of sound you want, rather than emulating another drummer because they play music similar.

I've seen too many lazy drummers go off buying all the 'custom' gear, or copying someone else's kit. I mean, one, it's pathetic! And two, it never even works!

So go and think and experiment, try other people's kits, and find your own sound. You might end up with a kit that sounds more like jazz than common metal, and that might be the cutting edge for your band.

Good luck to you, keep proper metal alive, none of this emo.

Monkey_Drummer edited on Mar 31, 2006 3:45 PM

iceo

Drum On!

No. 22 Posted on Mar 31, 2006 6:34 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
clear pinstripes /emperors or ebony pinstripes over clear ambassadors and i would suggest an ambassador on your snare or a controlled sound.i used any emperor x on my steel snare and it sucked the life out of my snare.thats just me .plenty of people like it.but if your snare doesnt ring a little it will sound dead when you mic it.

Ten Degrees Of Drumming Turbulence !!

Tim

No. 23 Posted on Mar 31, 2006 10:28 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
This thread is old, and it was dead.

Let's let it go back to being dead.

pgdrums

No. 24 Posted on Apr 1, 2006 5:36 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Way to make a new guy feel welcome.

Crusher

No. 25 Posted on Apr 1, 2006 7:00 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
So far I have read2 threads here today and it has only been 5 minutes. Anyone has the right to bring up old threads and if Remo wanted it differant then they would put a time limit and the threads would either be locked or disappear. At least he took the time to look for the threads like others always complain that should do instead of starting a new one.

Musicians Wisdom

Communicate! It can't make things any worse.
Go to page 12 Next

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 52 milliseconds