Remo
DrumTalk » Drum Talk

Building Drum platform?
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster Building Drum platform?
TrailofChris

No. 1 Posted on Feb 2, 2006 5:10 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I hate being level or lower than my other band members. So I decided it's time to have a drum platform (I guess that's what they're called?). I think they might call them decks. I decided to make one myself instead of paying the $300 a corner. Anyway

Anybody ever built one? If so how?
What do I need?
Dimensions?

I was thinking of using plywood on top of 2 by 4s? I was going to make it pretty big so it can fit my set and have some extra on the sides. Anyway help me out thanks

Chris

Cold silence has a tendency to atrophy any sense of compassion.

Tama Bubinga Black Sparkle Gold inlay
DW Nisan Stewart Maple Snare

Paiste and Sabian
taye

No. 2 Posted on Feb 2, 2006 5:25 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
the only times ive used them, they were tables and actual risers. i would most definitely say use ply wood on top of 2X4's. my dads a carpenter. he says itll hold up if you built it using triangles and all that good stuff. but i would leave room for amps on it and a monitor for yourself. just an addition to ur origanol thought.
best of luck

paul

paulmiller

No. 3 Posted on Feb 2, 2006 5:42 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Here you go.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely preferable to the presence of those who think they've found it. - Terry Pratchett

Just Add Sticks

NOTtoeknee

i hit things

No. 4 Posted on Feb 2, 2006 7:30 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
this bar we play at (aloT) well the owner of the bar made these to platforms i use as a drum riser

its a about knee height and you probably cant tell but its really two separate pieces (it looks like he just made to frames for boxes and covered five of the six sides with thick ply wood) only down side would be moving them (i get to use them when i go to this bar)

the rest of the time im cool with being on the floor

good luck!
TOEknee

myspace.com/innCINEMA
myspace.com/RHYMESwithMUSIC
myspace.com/poorpauly

yamaha maple absolute nouveau, ask me and i'll tell you why...
RvJim

Reverend

No. 5 Posted on Feb 2, 2006 8:17 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I hate drum risers they always make me feel restricted, unless they are huge and they rarely are even in the bigger venues, maybe I just got too much stuff!

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously"
-Hubert H Humphrey
paul

paulmiller

No. 6 Posted on Feb 2, 2006 8:54 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I like using a riser if there's enough room on it. I think it helps the drums project, especially when I'm not amplified, and it gets me up level with the guitarists.

We've done some shows in the big band where we had good risers. Very nice.

Besides, I want the audience to be able to see me.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely preferable to the presence of those who think they've found it. - Terry Pratchett

Just Add Sticks

Yojan

No. 7 Posted on Feb 3, 2006 12:27 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Pauls link seems very helpful, and despite my timber engineering module I'm doing at the moment, I don't think I have much more to add to ply over 2x4's. Depending on the spacing you might want to consider chipboard, though, as 13ply and the thicker pieces can get a bit expensive.

All I would say is that bear in mind how it's going to fit into a car/van for transport.

www.myspace.com/deathdeniedofficial

pwc

No. 8 Posted on Feb 3, 2006 12:57 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Where I have played most in recent years has about 6" step up to the stage area on which is a further 9" step up for the drum area. It is less a riser than a permanent purpose built stage. Most other clubs or restaurants have a raised stage area but no additional drum riser on that. Hotels tend to arrange a raised stage for special functions but their regular house bands tend to be on the same floor level as the chairs and tables in the bar/lounge/lobbies where bands play.

I personally like being up a bit higher than the audience but would never feel the need to have my own riser as the transport hassle would mitigate against it in my mind and where I am at the same level as other guys in the band, it doesn't bother me one bit.

But if anyone was to make one, the plans and sizes are nicely spelled out in Paul's link.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
JD1

RACK & ROLL

No. 9 Posted on Feb 3, 2006 1:54 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
This is NOT a reccomendation ...BUT,
in the late 70's We would go steal about 60 milk crates and
stack em about 3 high and lay down 2 sheets (8x4')of 1/2" ply and
throw a nice (70's pyscodelic) bed spread to cover the front
crates that faced the audiance.

oh god was it fun being a kid Smile

PS Dave... by saying NOT reccomended to steal.*did you read that part* ???
Be cause I don't wanna see your stupid B.S. like~

"JD says it's ok to steal"
and I can imagine your twist on the truth~

"JD says it's ok too run a meth lab by employing crack whores
as long as your killing cops & giving free samples to school children
just as As long as your raising the money
for milk crates to build a drum riser.... that you can hide fellow terrorist under"

Edited to say~
If your a musician over 30 and you have never had a milk crate
that you couldn't say "I have no clue where that came from" ?
Then I kinda wonder about you and your younger career Smile

^^^ I laugh at that...but it's really kinda true...right ? ^^^

JD1 edited on Feb 3, 2006 1:58 AM

Dan has been invited to talk with 2 veterans of war. live on MSN will he accept? I doubt it. How bout you (dime bag) JB want in? Don't talk the talk if ya can't Walk it.... integrity You 2 have none!
Yojan

No. 10 Posted on Feb 3, 2006 3:42 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
^^ LOL!

I just realised you were asking for dimensions... I figure the answer to that is the floor plan your kit + mics + monitors takes up, plus a bit for contingency purposes.

I guess having a riser would make set up easier, as you could mark the floor out like Tim as at home. Although, that could just as easily be done on a carpet you could then take with you.

www.myspace.com/deathdeniedofficial

skinhead

No. 11 Posted on Feb 3, 2006 4:25 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I made one using 9-5gallon "pickle buckets". Your local house paint supplier can hook you up with empty 5gallon paint buckets too. And a piece or two of 3/4 plywood. I even hindged the plywood so it folded like a tri-fold wallet. This allowed it to slip between the wheel wells in my trucks bed. I set the whole kit up on top of the plywood only first, and trimed the wood back as close to the kit as possible. From the top it looked like a manta-ray shape. I also added some small screwed in brackets for the kic drum legs and also for the hi-hat stand to keep them from slideing off. Also, the buckets stack inside each other for easy transport!

HammerDown

No. 12 Posted on Feb 3, 2006 5:39 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
JD1 wrote:
This is NOT a reccomendation ...BUT,
in the late 70's We would go steal about 60 milk crates and
stack em about 3 high and lay down 2 sheets (8x4')of 1/2" ply and
throw a nice (70's pyscodelic) bed spread to cover the front
crates that faced the audiance.

Been there...done that, (3 crates high and 2-4/8 sheets of ply-hinged in the middle) and it worked great! Wink

paul

paulmiller

No. 13 Posted on Feb 3, 2006 6:26 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
For those not interested in building their own riser, Rolling Riser has some nice designs, and you can set them up so everything is marked. Not deep enough for my kits, though.

Just Add Sticks

ModernDrummer

No. 14 Posted on Feb 3, 2006 9:27 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Well, here's my thoughts, for what those are worth.

Like Peter, I can't visualize too many scenarios where you'd want to lug around a portable stage / riser, but there are some. Whether or not anyone wants to go to the time, expense and effort to build one for themself, well, that's a personal thing.

IMO, any time you start talking about drum risers and wood, you've got issues. Anything that actually fits in the "convenient" category using wood also fits in the "heavy" category. A sheet of 3/4"x4'x8' plywood, chip board, particle board, etc. isn't exactly light. If you cut it in half, it's lighter but now you're making two trips (or two people need to lug it) and you have to somehow attach them together. If ya don't cut it in half, ya pretty much need two people to lug it, and a vehicle big enough to haul it (as well as drum gear, etc.).

I have 3 ideas: Titanium, carbon fiber, PVC (or equivalent). Of these, probably only PVC is inexpensive enough to make it viable. You can construct a "waterbed frame" type riser (similar to the concept in Pauls' link) for not a whole lot more than wood, and it would be significantly lighter in order to be a one man program.

What size? Well, most guys seem to suscribe to the "more is better" philosophy, and so do I. But I don't think I'd build one less than 6'x8'.

07 May, 2001

emo_metal

frank the tank

No. 15 Posted on Feb 3, 2006 9:47 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
me and my guitarist built one. we took tihs big ol' tool shelf and layed it down and bolted carpet to it. it was about 2 1/2 feet high, 8 feet wide and 8 feet long

which drumhead sounds the best?
ZBT's are the shit man!
should i use remo O rings with my pinstripes?
yammydrummer

No. 16 Posted on Feb 3, 2006 11:10 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
get a table and re-enforce it and add on to the size, maybe 2 tables attached

paul

paulmiller

No. 17 Posted on Feb 3, 2006 12:44 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
MD's thoughts echo my own. Size and weight are definite factors when you're carrying your own gear into and out of venues. If you have a road crew it's a different matter, but I gave that up almost 30 years ago.

For many modern bands there's also the issue of sharing the stage with other drummers, and the necessity of getting on and off quickly. A rolling riser might help that in some situations, but not dependably.

Also, in many of the venues where I play, either the stage is too small for a riser, the ceiling's too low, or both. A low ceiling is a definite problem if you want a riser.

Finally, I've found that in most of the venues I play where a riser is desirable and useable, there's already one there. It may not be big enough for some of the larger sets here, but most of the time it's useful.

I love having a riser, but not enough to carry one around with me.

Just Add Sticks

TrailofChris

No. 18 Posted on Feb 3, 2006 2:26 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Yeah the only reason I would build one is for outside shows considering the summer's coming around (for me anyway). So yeah, thanks everybody. I think I'll just wait 'till I actually really need one to build one.

Cold silence has a tendency to atrophy any sense of compassion.

Tama Bubinga Black Sparkle Gold inlay
DW Nisan Stewart Maple Snare

Paiste and Sabian
StillKicken

No. 19 Posted on Feb 5, 2006 6:50 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Some years ago in a drum shop there was a company that offered a riser made out of drum shells. Don't think they were real drum shells but the nice thing about it was; they were round, all the same depth and all the diameters were differant. One drum case for the largest shell then each one would fit inside the other for transportation that took up less space. The platform was carpeted with industrial carpet and it folded in one or more places.

Sherm

paul

paulmiller

No. 20 Posted on Feb 5, 2006 8:11 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Here it is, but they're not drum shells.

There's a thread on another forum paralleling this one.

Just Add Sticks

Crusher

No. 21 Posted on Feb 5, 2006 8:34 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
paul wrote:
Here it is, but they're not drum shells.

There's a thread on another forum paralleling this one.

Finally a use for the Westburys lol.

Musicians Wisdom

Communicate! It can't make things any worse.
marv

No. 22 Posted on Feb 5, 2006 10:23 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Here's my take on the riser issue. I bought one several years ago but I think the dude went out of business. It was called Rizer Racks and he was in Nashville. Mine is on the small side, just large enough for my 5 piece kit. It folds in half and has a wheel on the back end of each side. It's made out of plywood, hinged with a piano hinge I think they call it, and trimmed on the side with aluminum. It sets up on some aluminum legs that I screw in.

I'll try to post a pic of me playing on it.

(Click the picture to view the original one)

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 62 milliseconds