Remo
DrumTalk » World Percussion

Taking the ring out of the Remo Djembe!
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster Taking the ring out of the Remo Djembe!
Loveablesurfer

No. 1 Posted on Mar 13, 2009 2:21 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I'm trying to reduce the ring that follows open tones and slaps on my 14" Black Earth djembe. I absolutely love the deep, clear bass sounds and the crisp, closed slaps. I like the open tones too but its the ring that follows if I don't hit the drum straight after that I'd like to reduce as much as possible. Ideally without affecting the bass and slaps too much.

I've tried muffling the drum with bits of duct tape on the underside of the head, it reduced the ring quite a bit but also reduced the volume and quality of the bass and especially the closed slap.

I've tried Paulo Mattiolis advice on muffling them with a piece of 1/4 inch weather strip on the inside circumference of the bowl about half way down and a 1 inch long piece of 1/4 inch weather strip about 4 inches from the edge of the under side of the drum head, but its not noticeably cut out the ringing that follows the open tone.

Has anyone successfully managed to reduce the ringing by any amount without effecting the other tones too much? I accept there will probably have to be a trade off between less ringing and the volume and/or quality of other tones, I'd just like some ideas to optimise the over all sound.

wpdrummer

Super Moderator

No. 2 Posted on Mar 13, 2009 9:41 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
The Remo djembe has amazing tones and some are more challenging to control, like open and slap tones. These overtones are inherent in the Remo djembe that make it the great drum so many people love. We do understand some players like less overtones so we’ve create the Nuskynź Mondo drumhead for djembe. However, if you do not want to spend the money for a new drumhead you can muffle the current head by the methods you’ve tried and Paulo suggested. As you have surmised there is a give and take.

One suggestion that may help is to tune the drum to a higher pitch. It will give you a dry sound taking some overtones out. You can then take a 1”x 1” piece of window insulation foam tape (or something similar) and place it just below the Remo Crown Stamp logo on the drumhead. This will also cut some of the overtones while minimizing muting the other tones. If you like the sound, then place it on the underside of the head. What also helps is the hand technique when striking the drum. Keep the fingers closer together rather then spread apart.

I hope this helps.
Thank you for playing Remo products.

Remo Inc.
Geordie_Da

BANG!

No. 3 Posted on Mar 14, 2009 12:29 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Good advice above, but treat the overtones like the ring of a snare drum: much of it helps the drum to project in an ensemble of other instruments and lots of that ring or overtone sound gets washed out in that context. Unless it's really bad I wouldn't worry about it.

G.Da

Enjoy Yourself. It's later than you think.

Hang on to your dreams.

For Tomcat: Anyone want to buy a 8'' AAX Splash?
Loveablesurfer

No. 4 Posted on Apr 6, 2009 1:59 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Thank's for the advise. I realise that overtones make the tone, I've essentially endeavoured to give em a hair cut rather than decapitation!

I've spent quite a bit of time tweaking my Remo and have settled (for now) with a 1/4" piece of weather strip around the inner circumference of the bowl section about half way down and a piece of 1/4" weather strip an inch long placed under the head about 1 1/4" from the rim (parallel to the rim) every 120 degrees. (So 3 pieces in all, 1 at 12 O'Clock, 1 at 4 O'Clock and 1 at 8 O'Clock.)

The end result is a small reduction on the bass, not much on the slaps, nicer opens without the hollow ring/scream following and a small (not really noticeable) reduction in overall volume. Its still WELL LOUD though!

Geordie_Da

BANG!

No. 5 Posted on Apr 7, 2009 3:47 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Good to hear you have resolved the issue to your satisfaction. Unfortunately, when it comes to tweaking the sound of a drum - either by tuning or muffling - you have to make compromises, but in your case it's good to have spent the time experimenting because, as usual, that normally helps us find much better solutions than most people end up with.

Happy drumming.

G.Da

Enjoy Yourself. It's later than you think.

Hang on to your dreams.

For Tomcat: Anyone want to buy a 8'' AAX Splash?
Loveablesurfer

No. 6 Posted on Apr 8, 2009 12:53 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
If its any use, I made a few general observations whilst experimenting:

Using more than 4 evenly placed 1/4" pieces of weather strip, didnt reduce the ringing anymore than 3.

The further towards the centre of the drum head the weather strip was placed the more it muted the sounds in general.

Making the 1"x1/4" strips placed around the drum thicker by adding more pieces next to them, didn't have a big effect on over tones but did muffle the overall sound a bit.

skip77

No. 7 Posted on Apr 17, 2009 5:26 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I posted a question about this to REMO and thought to comment here as well. I performed the same kind of tweak on my Earth 12" and get a mild affect, slightly less ringing but want more dampening. I believe the thin 1/4" foam is too thin. Depending upon answers I get from REMO I may bump the dampening up to using regular drum foam strips - I want a very clean, non-ringy thump. That may be too dramatic an alteration but I may try it unless REMO tells me otherwise.

I am curious whether approaching the dampening issue differently might be successful - what if I added two or three layers of duct tape around perimeter of djembe body on leading edge that contacts the drum head? Has anyone tried that and if so, what was the effect?

Loveablesurfer

No. 8 Posted on Apr 21, 2009 7:34 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I used to dampen the head with duck tape but due to its thickness (or rather lack of it), by the time I had enough on to make an appreciabe effect, it was taking too much overall tone from the drum.

I've tried using 1/2" x 1" weather strip and 1" x 1" on the drum head but it didn't really improve on the 1/4" the way I have it currently set up. It did however cut out some of the lower frequencies.

I'm not convinced there is perfect set up for a Remo Djembe, I'd love to hear a 14" Djembe with a Fyberskn head next to another one with a Nuskyn head on. Has anyone made such a comparision?

Erny

No. 9 Posted on Jul 4, 2010 6:14 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
The solution for your problem?

Erny wrote:
Hi,

IŽam also playing a 14" black earth and like it much apart from the "ringing, pinging and twanging" which is described by many players.

I tried different things as putting weather-stripping in the bowl and on the head itself, but the effects were neclectable or changed the sound to much.

A few days ago I found out a very effective and simple method to get rid of it! You just have to remove the head, apply weatherstrip 1/2" wide, 1/4" high (self-adhesive foam, not the rubber one) on the top-end of the wooden bowl and remount and tune the head again. Thus the foam is in the whole zone of contact between the skin and the bowl and this simple method kills any ringing, pinging and twanging without influencing low or high-end sound of the drum.

Try this and IŽam convinced, itŽll be the solution of your problem.

Moreover the Black Earth needs a lot of air under the drum when played in order to create its full sound-spectrum. Thus play it on a stand or hanging while standing. Following this, youŽll have so much more fun with this drum.

Greets...
...Erny

...Erny

gswhitt

No. 10 Posted on May 24, 2011 3:16 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I use Paulo's method with great success. Check out how at http://goo.gl/CBM0d

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 22 milliseconds