Remo
DrumTalk » World Percussion

Need assistance with 14" Black Earth Djembe.
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster Need assistance with 14" Black Earth Djembe.
MkA

No. 1 Posted on Dec 27, 2009 7:41 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Hi there,

I am a new owner of a 14" Skyndeep Black Earth djembe. Really enjoying it. Just 1 thing, I can't seem to get the slap tone out of this djembe the same way I slap traditional djembes. Is there a different way to do it? I desperately need to know for I am starting to think I made the wrong decision buying this drum. Please assist Sad

Daddyo

No. 2 Posted on Jan 3, 2010 9:15 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Your description sounds like a tuning issue. These drums are typically some of the best sounding. I would loosen all lugs, and re-tune from scratch. Let me know if you would like me to help walk you through this. I do not work for Remo, but sell their products, and repair drums and Djembes in the Inland Empire area of Southern California.

Daddyo

www.TheDrummersLounge.com
Rhythm...Without Boundaries.
MkA

No. 3 Posted on Jan 10, 2010 4:31 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Hey Daddyo, thanks for taking some time to read my post. I've done some research on my own and i figured that it was a tuning issue aswell. I also heard that adding weather strips will stop some of the twang that follows up after striking the drum. I've got the tuning part covered but could you guide me in the weather strip installation? Thx alot. MkA

Erny

No. 4 Posted on Jul 4, 2010 5:56 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Hi,

IŽam also playing a 14" black earth and like it much apart from the "ringing, pinging and twanging" which is described by many players.

I tried different things as putting weather-stripping in the bowl and on the head itself, but the effects were neclectable or changed the sound to much.

A few days ago I found out a very effective and simple method to get rid of it! You just have to remove the head, apply weatherstrip 1/2" wide, 1/4" high (self-adhesive foam, not the rubber one) on the top-end of the wooden bowl and remount and tune the head again. Thus the foam is in the whole zone of contact between the skin and the bowl and this simple method kills any ringing, pinging and twanging without influencing low or high-end sound of the drum.

Try this and IŽam convinced, itŽll be the solution of your problem.

Moreover the Black Earth needs a lot of air under the drum when played in order to create its full sound-spectrum. Thus play it on a stand or hanging while standing. Following this, youŽll have so much more fun with this drum.

Greets...
...Erny

Erny edited on Jul 4, 2010 6:12 AM

Sal7

No. 5 Posted on Jun 22, 2011 9:45 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Thanks for the post. I recently bought a Remo Mondo Infinity djembe (14" x 25"). Awesome ring tones (if that's what you like) but I prefer a more "dry" sound. I put a ring of foam weatherstrip at the inside top of the drum as you suggested. I also made sure that a little (1/8")of the strip was above the top edge so it would be in actual contact with the drum head. I think this is what you did also. The sound was much improved, no ringing and no loss of volume. However, the strip kept unsticking from the wall of the drum (I could see it through the drum head). I decided to use the same weatherstrip in the same manner except instead of installing it as one complete ring I put a short piece (approx. 2") by each lug-I also put another piece directly under the top piece for support; same sound improvement but no strip migration as of yet. I think the problem with the initial installation was due to the weathestrip being wound the opposite way in the package from the way I had to install it on the drum (I could only apply it one way because of the adhesive backing). Anyway, thanks again for your suggestions...

Sal7

No. 6 Posted on Jun 23, 2011 10:16 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
OK, after two drum sessions even a couple of the smaller pieces came loose (they fell out of the drum); so now I am gluing each piece with silicon adhesive- I have high hopes this will work.

Sal7

No. 7 Posted on Jun 27, 2011 9:57 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
My Remo Mondo Infinity with weathersrip installed. Remember, each piece is about 1/8" above the bearing edge so all pieces contact the uderside of the head when it's installed. Graet sound with no compromise that I can hear. After at least 4 vigorous sessions, the pieces haven't budged-as stated, I used silicone cement to stick them to the side of the drum ( Permatex black adhesive sealant- item 81158 )

(Click the picture to view the original one)

Erny

No. 8 Posted on Jul 21, 2011 11:03 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Hi Sal,

I just saw the above posting and I think that there was a misunderstanding how I mounted the weather-stripping. I didnŽt put it into the bowl, but directly on top of the bearing edge. Thus the head presses the weather-stripping down on the bearing edge and fixes it and there is no more direct contact between head and edge. After some weeks the weather-stripping is compressed so much that the damping-effect vanishes and thats the time it needs to be replaced.

Maybe youŽd like to try this next time.

Cheers...
...Erny

Sal7

No. 9 Posted on Sep 14, 2011 7:20 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Hi Erny, yes I understand what you did with the weatherstrip now and I may try it in the future. As it is, my drum sounds great and I haven't had to replace the weatherstrip yet -as a matter of fact I lowered 2 pieces of the weatherstrip down over 2 of the tuning bolts because the sound was a little too dry. I suppose I could of removed them completly, but I guess they provide some damping and I have two spare pieces in case one of the top ones breaks loose though I doubt it with the added adhesive. Since the top pieces are touching the head they may compress as well. However, with some careful tuning at that time I think the damping will be enough where I won't have to replace them. Time will tell. Thanks for your posts which got me experimenting with weatherstrip in th first place...

Erny

No. 10 Posted on Oct 3, 2011 11:53 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Ok Sal, I assume that your method is lasting longer than mine because the weather-stripping isnŽt compressed permanently as the head is just touching it softly.

Next time IŽll try your proposal and hear how it sounds.

Cheers...
...Erny

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 23 milliseconds