Remo
DrumTalk » World Percussion

Mic-ing djembes
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster Mic-ing djembes
simonedwards

No. 1 Posted on Nov 1, 2005 2:56 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I play alot of live with a 16" key tuned djembe and have been given audix mics to mic up but the clip doesn't fit the rim and head of the djembe. Could anyone recomend other mounts that would work with the 16"?
simon

simonedwards edited on Nov 1, 2005 3:23 PM

EddieW

No. 2 Posted on Nov 3, 2005 7:42 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
True sound from the Djembe or any goblet drum comes from the bottom not the head. Best to mike from the hole like a bass drum instead of the the head.

450px by 100px
simonedwards

No. 3 Posted on Nov 5, 2005 12:30 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
does that not loose the slap and high end stuff on the skin? The Ideal rig I think would be both head and hole mic-ed but the mounting is the issue. would it be worth drilling into the shell to rig or does this effect the remo djembes? I really dont want to do this but if it made my life easier when playing live it might be worth it.

simon

iplaydjembe

No. 4 Posted on Nov 14, 2005 10:35 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I know how you feel. I am stuck to a mike stand.

Geordie_Da

BANG!

No. 5 Posted on Nov 14, 2005 1:27 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
If you're mic-ing up then you should probably be doing top and bottom. If this isn't possible then where you mic it depends on what sound you want. I get some great sounds mic-ing the head rather than the bass hole. I find that with some effects coming from the sound system I can make any hand drum sound amazing. I find that when you only mic the bass hole you get too dominating a sound and any more technical stuff you play tends to get a little lost in the "DOOOOMM DOOOOOM DOOOOM" of it all.

G.Da

Geordie_Da edited on Nov 14, 2005 1:31 PM

iplaydjembe

No. 6 Posted on Nov 17, 2005 11:45 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
so what is lost when you just mike the head? the bass?

Geordie_Da

BANG!

No. 7 Posted on Nov 18, 2005 11:05 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
In my experience the bass carries well even if not miced up. In any event a good sound system can compensate for any loss of bass sound. It's more difficult to compensate for the loss of the sounds coming from the head, especially if you're playing a lot of technical nuanced rhythms.

G.Da

NOTtoeknee

i hit things

No. 8 Posted on Nov 23, 2005 11:12 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
i think there are new seindhizers (i have no clue how to spell that.. and most other words)

they have mics that a sound guy my band uses last week (they were very small (almost like Tshirt mics) and they have a 3-4 inch long gooseneck for great positioning options

i would check those out if you have your mind set on micing from the top

but you best bet would be to mic that puppy from the bottom (your gonna get waaay more bass that way)

i use a fuision D12 (im planing to upgrade but ehh ..works ok)

myspace.com/innCINEMA
myspace.com/RHYMESwithMUSIC
myspace.com/poorpauly

yamaha maple absolute nouveau, ask me and i'll tell you why...
Geordie_Da

BANG!

No. 9 Posted on Nov 23, 2005 2:26 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
NOTtoeknee wrote:

but you best bet would be to mic that puppy from the bottom (your gonna get waaay more bass that way)

Not always a good thing. In my experience the bass ends up far too dominant.

G.Da

Enjoy Yourself. It's later than you think.

Hang on to your dreams.

For Tomcat: Anyone want to buy a 8'' AAX Splash?
NOTtoeknee

i hit things

No. 10 Posted on Nov 28, 2005 10:25 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
sorry i was just giving a suggestion

not everyone is going to have two mics to dump on a djembe

(at most of my shows - with sound guys) they would put a big ol beta 52 in side from the bottom

last week i played a gig and it was miced from the top (with the little shirt mic i was talking about) sennheiser

and i'll admitt i got way more slide action with my hands (sliding across the skin) i not only remember hearing it in the monitors (but coud hear the echo from the mains - it was a bigg room too)

well...
ya

myspace.com/innCINEMA
myspace.com/RHYMESwithMUSIC
myspace.com/poorpauly

yamaha maple absolute nouveau, ask me and i'll tell you why...
Djembe_G

No. 11 Posted on Nov 29, 2005 5:47 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Check out this video clip of Luis Conte on congas. He uses tiny mics on top that I've also seen used in Michael (Holy Goat Percussion) Taylor's DVD "Remembering How to Drum".

http://tinyurl.com/bqqeo

According to Conte's website, these are BeyerDynamic Opus series condenser mics. Since Conte is using them they are most likely pro-level gear. I like these because they are unobtrusive - you can still see the percussionist and not just a bunch of mics and stands hanging in his face.

http://www.beyerdynamic.com/cms/Drums_percussions.73.0.html?&L=1

-G

bataboom

No. 12 Posted on Dec 25, 2005 12:17 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Hi im new here but wanted to comment on the mic-ing post.
I have been playing djembe, congas and an aray of west african percussion instruments for a good while now, I play congas and djembe arrangment in my church and we have them mic-ed with a sound man. We mic-ed the tops because thats where you get the fullest sound. You get both bass and slaps mic-ing top. If you mic the bottom you will get nothing but garbage can sounds. Imagine your stereo with the treble on zero thats what it will sound like, I have heard the theory to mic the bottom before too and who ever started that rumor isnt very experienced in mic-ing them. There is no real advantage to mic-ing both because you get everything you need at the top. I have 2 congas and 2 djembe's with one mic in the center that pics them all up just fine. You can put one mic per drum, or even one per 2 drums to get a more defined set up but either way that works well.

Hope this helps !

simonedwards

No. 13 Posted on Jan 6, 2006 10:32 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
can any one think of or know a good clamp system to mic the top of a remo key tuned djembe? I have reasonable mics but no good rig to attach them. any sugestions?
s

when you find the one, it all makes sense.
bataboom

No. 14 Posted on Jan 9, 2006 1:25 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
wrap it?
I have some rope tuned djembes that the verticles are too close together to get the ksink ksink's in the top ring and thats what approach I had to take I got an elastic band ran under the rops and tied it like a belt and I run the ksinks under the band wrap, a little different situation with a mic but im sure would work if you had to. Unless you can find a mic clamp that would grab a single lug good enough which I doubt.

ModernDrummer

No. 15 Posted on Jan 26, 2006 11:12 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I keep my djembe on a stand, and mic it from underneath with an SM57 on a low boom stand, as you see for bass drum mics.

07 May, 2001

Stevo912

No. 16 Posted on Jan 16, 2007 3:17 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I have only been playing djembe for a short time, and am planning on buying my own personal djembe very soon, but from my experience, mic-ing both the top and bottom is best, either with two condenser mics or a bass drum mic on the bottom and a condenser mic on the top. The bass drum mic is tuned for the low tones and makes the bass more controllable and less overpowering.

gdougherty

No. 17 Posted on Jul 3, 2007 10:42 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I'm not a drummer but a sound guy.
I use Audix D-Clamps on percussion. They're designed to bolt down onto vertically oriented drum hardware such as tensioning bars. You can pick them up for $20-$25 each. I keep six on hand for the percussion setups I run into.

As far as djembe's. Top and bottom is best with something like a D4 underneath and a dynamic instrument or condenser mic on top. I personally like the Sennheiser e904's on top for a dynamic instrument. The bottom mic is just a fill and I run it only to the subs for the extra kick you don't get out of a top mic. I like condensers on top, but tend to run the dynamics since they don't pick up the stage noise as much. For a light set where the percussion is a big feature, I may run condensers, but dynamics are the way to go with a full rock type band.

If I could only run one mic on a djembe I'd definitely go with the top. You can live without the extra kick in the pants, you can't live without the real dynamic handwork on the top. Under-mic only gives me a muddy mess that I've never been happy with. I frequently mic only the top when dealing with a full rythm section and a drum set as the kick drum and bass dominate the low end. From there I just want a warm tone out of djembe's, congas and timbales that stand out in the mix. Low end whump doesn't stand out in the mix and I usually don't need any more of it.

I generally only bother with two mics on the djembe when there's no drum kit and I'm looking to replace the kick drum's chest thump.

Geordie_Da

BANG!

No. 18 Posted on Jul 5, 2007 4:00 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Holy crap a sound guy that actually agrees with me!!!!

G.Da

Enjoy Yourself. It's later than you think.

Hang on to your dreams.

For Tomcat: Anyone want to buy a 8'' AAX Splash?

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2012 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 40 milliseconds