Remo
DrumTalk » Health Rhythms

Re:working with kids: 18 month - 4 years
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster working with kids: 18 month - 4 years
dora76

No. 1 Posted on Oct 4, 2010 9:38 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Hello,

I just did my training in Healthrhythms in Princeton this September. I might be working in a daycare once a week, with small kids (up to 4 y.o.), doing music. Any tips on how to incorporate percussion into that? I have never worked with kids before. Of course, the major thing is that their attention span is about 10 min Smile Will structuring help to prolong the span, or should there be more freedom? what instruments would you suggest?

thanks!
Oksana

DAREtoAFFIRM

No. 2 Posted on Feb 10, 2011 7:52 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Hi
I have been working with very young children and their caregivers/parents for many years though not with drumming. That is the direction I am headed. My best advice is that relationships with children are just that - relationships - there is a give and take - like a dance - we call it RESPONSIVE relationships. It is quite like the call and response in any drumming though my intention is to allow the child to take the lead and have the caregiving adult follow them! It is a way to be responsive to the child and read his/her cues - and that is helpful in any relationship building with them. I am going to do drumming at a Fatherhood event in Southern DE the end of February - I have just made ten 'baby' drums for this purpose (sono tubes and pack cloth) My intention is to have the dyad sitting on the floor on a quilt and guiding the parent to allow the child to explore and then follow the lead. I am making beaters to go with the drums - then they can use them or their hands. I will share how it went after I am done. There is also an article on the remo website about drumming with babies by a Japanese woman!! Check it out!!

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 10 milliseconds