Remo
DrumTalk » Marching

best marching snare
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster best marching snare
supersnare729

No. 1 Posted on Aug 2, 2006 7:25 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
i'm looking to buy my own marchings snare and i need some opnions. what do think is the best snare and why.

www.myspace.com/jji72990
insanejin

No. 2 Posted on Aug 7, 2006 11:44 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Good:
pearl- cuz they sound tight and theyre cheap
yamaha - they live longer than you

Bad:
dynasty - since we're talking about snare drums
premier - what?! this company didn't get bankrupt yet?
Ludwig - old geezer
Remo - i might get banned...

Think about it: Why do all the top corps play pearl and yamaha? The only reason BD plays dynasty is cuz they got a super deal with their horns...

whoiga

No. 3 Posted on Aug 7, 2006 10:05 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I favor Dynasty percussion equipment.

Maybe it's not the most durable or whatever the arguments i've heard are... I don't have any personal experience with them.

But they look a hell of a lot cooler/nicer than Yamaha/Pearl, at least the snares do. I've said in the past how I like how the tension rods don't extend the full height of the drum. A pearl or yamaha (without a logo on it) looks almost the same at a distance, but a dynasty stands out. I guess I just like the look of them better.

As far as sound goes, that's up to your head combination and tuning technique. When picking snares, you'll want to consider the look, and durability. But durability is a lesser factor if you're taking care of your equipment. If you throw any drum around like trash, it will of course become trash.

delmar

FEMUR

No. 4 Posted on Aug 8, 2006 7:25 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
dynasty from me.

CorpsVets Drum & Bugle Corps.
Alliance Drum & Bugle Corps
2008 i&E champion
Frequency INC. - Staff
Shorter Percussion - Staff
Platinum Drum & Bugle Corps

supersnare729

No. 5 Posted on Aug 9, 2006 8:06 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
premier snares are that bad? i've heard a lot of people say that they like them. i've never played on one though. what's wrong with them?

www.myspace.com/jji72990
LiquidTension

No. 6 Posted on Aug 9, 2006 9:27 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
1. yamaha
2. dynasty
3. pearl

drumbum593

The Bum

No. 7 Posted on Aug 9, 2006 1:55 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
i;ve heard that the hardware on premier is bad

Bartlett HS
Snare 07-08
Munford HS
Tenors 08-09 USSBA South States Percussion Champ
Tenors 09-10 USSBA Natl Champ Percussion, 2nd Overall
Tenors 10-11 USSBA TN State Champ
US Army All-American Band
Tenors '11

House16

No. 8 Posted on Aug 9, 2006 6:38 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Why do so many people like the dynasty snare? I have heard a couple and they dont seem as good as yamaha or pearl. If i had to choose i would be all over pearl marching snare.

whoiga

No. 9 Posted on Aug 9, 2006 8:44 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
lawl, you can't just tell by sound.

You can make any brand sound like any other brand if you want... it's all about tuning.

I choose looks & durability. If it doesn't sound good, it's my fault for not tuning it the way I want - never the drum brand's fault.

BrandonPorter

For you

No. 10 Posted on Aug 10, 2006 5:04 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
whoiga wrote:
You can make any brand sound like any other brand if you want... it's all about tuning.

I choose looks & durability. If it doesn't sound good, it's my fault for not tuning it the way I want - never the drum brand's fault.

Excellent point.

"For as the world became flooded with information, the question of how much one knew assumed more importance than the question of what uses one made of what one did know." --Neil Postman
PoorButGood

Steve Smith and I

No. 11 Posted on Aug 12, 2006 10:53 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
1st Yamaha
2nd Pearl
3rd Dynasty

If you can find one of these, snatch it up!

Drumming is NOT a sport; it's an art form.

http://drummerworld.com/Videos/marcusbaylor.html
SxFxZ

No. 12 Posted on Aug 28, 2006 10:25 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
That drum you posted, is an MTS, not a SFZ. Who uses those drums? There sick.

WickidDrummer

No. 13 Posted on Aug 28, 2006 2:00 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Hey, im new to Remo site... I've marched snare for two years at my high-school. we use Pearl. I personally like them better than the others ived played on. If i had to go with next best i'd say Yamaha...

BassDrummer3

No. 14 Posted on Sep 17, 2006 12:59 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
1. Yahmaha
2. Pearl
3. Dynasty
4. Ludwig

Band: Mehlville High School Marching Panther Band
Section: Percussion,Drumline
Drum Played: Bass Drum
Size Of Drum Played: 24"

Drums Played With: Pearl
Mallets Used: Innovative Percussion
Atizzle

No. 15 Posted on Sep 30, 2006 7:11 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I say Yamaha because they look better than pearl, and is better qaulity

insanejin

No. 16 Posted on Oct 2, 2006 5:07 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Atizzle wrote:
I say Yamaha because they look better than pearl, and is better qaulity

yamahas and pearls look the same when you take out the feet...

watergoat

No. 17 Posted on Oct 27, 2006 11:21 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
If it's strictly for your use, and you're not trying to match it to a corps or band you're in or want to be in, then I strongly suggest the Dynasty "Wedge" single-head marching snare. It doesn't weigh nearly as much, cost as much, nor take up as much storage space as a conventional double-head snare. The sound and projection are surprisingly good. If I hadn't played and heard it, I wouldn't have believed it.

I got mine about four years ago and love it! In fact, my independent sr drumline will be using Wedges exclusively.

watergoat edited on Oct 30, 2006 12:47 PM

lifeofmusic

No. 18 Posted on Oct 29, 2006 12:04 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Yamaha
Thier hardware is made in thier motercycle shop.
think about that

pearl has a cool free floating concept. hardware not so good though.

Ludwig has the only "true" free floating shell and sounds great. you can remove the shell and still play it at the high tensions. i dont know about the hardware though.

LP/O Drumline Rocks!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhgwtEfX6I0
Mapex Pro M Studio in Emerald
12x7 Cherry/Maple Black Panther
13x3.5 Steel Black Panther
DW Pedals
Zildjian, Vic Firth
REMO
LiquidTension

No. 19 Posted on Nov 8, 2006 5:44 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
EDIT* I have played with drums from all three companies in a line before....if you were wonderin

I don't see how you can form an opinion about dynasty drums until you've played one.

True, BD does use them because they get killer deals on their horns...but now the "Dynasty" sound has been adapted to the Blue Devils sound. I feel that Dynasty snares have a very distinct sound compared to the others (im referring to Pearl and Yamaha).

what i don't like about Dynasty though, their hardware is drilled right into the shell...both Pearl and Yamaha have a free floating shell which promotes resonance. So, in the dynasty drums, i've often felt some wierd vibrations when hitting rim shots and stuff (their rims tend to break easily too).

so............run down

Dynasty:
1) distinct sound
2) more inexpensive
3) hardware right into the drum (heavy)
4) stiff rims

Yamaha:
1) my personal preferrence
2) very well made
3) MTS choice = sound options

Pearl:
1) Lightest of the three
2) In My Experiences....easy to dent hardware
3) ....im sorry, but the randal may harness are crap

(and so is Pearl's stadium hardware)

HOPe that helped

SPuDS

manbearpig

No. 20 Posted on Nov 8, 2006 5:59 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
yeah, i would have to say yamaha is the best overall.

My name is Lucas.

whoiga

No. 21 Posted on Nov 9, 2006 7:49 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
i've been outside chasing children.

supersnare729

No. 22 Posted on Nov 9, 2006 8:51 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
BD's snares have a distinct sound b/c dynasty drums have that protector on the snare side bearing edge allowing them to use falams for their snare side. just out of curiosity, would a kevlar snare side head mess up the shell if you used it on a drum without that protector?

www.myspace.com/jji72990
whoiga

No. 23 Posted on Nov 9, 2006 3:26 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
No, it shouldn't. The kevlar snare side heads are much different than kevlar/other aramid fiber batter heads.

You can use falams snare sides on Yamaha & Pearl and achieve similar sound - but dynasty drums are distinct in sound regardless of the protector. It's not a "BD" sound, persay.

LiquidTension

No. 24 Posted on Nov 10, 2006 11:53 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
...just make sure you don't put a falam bottom head on the top.....

the results.....well, try it if you want to know. Its quite humorous

Not a BD sound? its all about perception. No one is going to say, "that sounds like a 14'' dynasty with a black max top and falam bottom". No....they will say, "sounds like BD 2005..."

Texray1

No. 25 Posted on Nov 13, 2006 10:31 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Yep, that's how I would describe it. The BD sound, or the Cadets sound, etc, etc.

Go to page 12 Next

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2012 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 166 milliseconds