Remo
DrumTalk » Marching

Tenor Back Pain?
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster Tenor Back Pain?
TenorQueen

No. 1 Posted on Jan 12, 2010 6:52 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
So here's the deal: I'm a 15 year old, skinny, notmuscularwhatsoever girl. I've marched quints for three years now since eighth grade, and, surprisingly enough, I've never had the slightest back pain. Recently, however, my back has been out-of-the-blue KILLING me. I can't bend over to tie my shoe without having serious trouble straightening back out. It's pretty ridiculous, and getting on my nerves. I'm line captain as of right now and am set to be for the next two years, and I absolutely ADORE playing my drums. It would kill me to have to quit, which would definitely be my parents solution if they found out that I was having trouble. I know crunches will help prevent further damage but is there any way to reverse what I've already done? I'm prepared to do just about anything at this point, which is why I'm asking you who are more experienced for help. So..help?

TenorQueen

Edit: What are the chances of me surviving in corps? Should I kiss that dream good-bye?

Crusher

No. 2 Posted on Jan 12, 2010 9:26 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
TenorQueen wrote:
So here's the deal: I'm a 15 year old, skinny, notmuscularwhatsoever girl. I've marched quints for three years now since eighth grade, and, surprisingly enough, I've never had the slightest back pain. Recently, however, my back has been out-of-the-blue KILLING me. I can't bend over to tie my shoe without having serious trouble straightening back out. It's pretty ridiculous, and getting on my nerves. I'm line captain as of right now and am set to be for the next two years, and I absolutely ADORE playing my drums. It would kill me to have to quit, which would definitely be my parents solution if they found out that I was having trouble. I know crunches will help prevent further damage but is there any way to reverse what I've already done? I'm prepared to do just about anything at this point, which is why I'm asking you who are more experienced for help. So..help?

TenorQueen

Edit: What are the chances of me surviving in corps? Should I kiss that dream good-bye?

What is your back? It is a series of bones and muscles and nerves. I would stretch before the drums, also work on some free weights to get everything into a stronger position. I would also WATCH YOUR POSTURE while wearing the drums and while sitting or standing and everyday activities. Here is another suggestion ... how worn are your shoes? I know it seems random but foot wear and back pain are sometimes connected. I will hook you up with a link we had on this subject.

http://remo.com/forum/post/view?bid=7&id=218732&sty=1&tpg=1&age=0

Now for your dream are you talking local corps or dci?

Crusher edited on Jan 12, 2010 9:29 PM

Musicians Wisdom

Communicate! It can't make things any worse.
TenorQueen

No. 3 Posted on Jan 13, 2010 3:55 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Thanks!

DCI...but I would settle for local if need be.

anthra

No. 4 Posted on Jan 14, 2010 10:48 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
check out mbt shoes.
http://us.mbt.com/Footer/Company/About-Us.aspx

the masai people living in the desert never suffer from bad backs, a bunch of guys wondered why, did a bit of study, figured why (the action of the foot 'rolling' in sand/soft surface is far far better for your entire posture than stamping around on asphalt) and made a shoe to emulate it.

I've heard great things about these, but have never yet been able to try them out.
and make sure you do your warm ups and when carrying the drums, make sure your back is straight and do not slouch.

pataflafla

No. 5 Posted on Jan 17, 2010 4:28 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Absolutely make an appointment with your family doctor OR a sports medicine doctor OR a physical therapist and explain the situation to them. Bring your quints & carrier with, too, so they can see the situation first-hand.

GRRRRRRRRR!

Repeating my on-going, very relevant rant: I do NOT understand why drum manufacturers [except Dynasty, with their inexplicably under-advertised "squint" series of multi-tenors] continue to produce their ABSURDLY heavy marching drums: blithely ignoring the ongoing discomfort --even pain-- that their overly weighty drums routinely produce.

Drumlines today laugh at the past lines in which tympany and horizontal bells, xylophones, etc. were marched: "Man, can you believe they carried those heavy things?! No freakin' WAY would I do that, dude!" Oh really? What's the difference between those instruments then and our 35+ pound quints and six packs now? There IS no difference.

pataflafla edited on Jan 17, 2010 4:45 PM

General percussion since 1957.
D&B corps since 1965.
Drum set (correctly!) since 1970.

http://jimnevermannart.carbonmade.com

...and that is *not* 2nd Wind's uniform I'm wearing!
pataflafla

No. 6 Posted on Jan 18, 2010 8:05 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
What are the chances of me surviving in corps? Should I kiss that dream good-bye?

Hardly.

Even if you don't make tenor in a corps right-off --which all depends, in part, on where you live and what corps are near by-- you'd still get the experience and input from whatever position you started in, and then you could work your way up to tenor if you didn't make it the first year.

Really, there's no hurry. At 15 you have five or possibly six years to march DCI-age corps, and then the rest of your life to march sr corps. After you turn 21, age counts for nothing in the drum line world. I recently turned 60 and have either marched with or taught assorted corps, corp-style bands and drum lines since *I* was "a 15 year old, skinny, notmuscularwhatsoever" guy! Big Smile

pataflafla edited on Jan 19, 2010 10:32 PM

General percussion since 1957.
D&B corps since 1965.
Drum set (correctly!) since 1970.

http://jimnevermannart.carbonmade.com

...and that is *not* 2nd Wind's uniform I'm wearing!
Boojum

that

No. 7 Posted on Mar 9, 2010 6:46 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
So here you go, overview:

- See a doctor/chiropractor, whatever.
- Stretch
- The majority of the strength in your back comes from your abdominals (abs). Keep in mind that to work out your entire core requires more than just crunches. Crunches, side crunches, leg raises, and supermans all help. If you have any questions about how to do any of those, let me know.
- Unfortunately, those shoes are good for general wearing, but don't try to wear them out on the field. You won't be able to backwards march...
- Hot pads (icy hot patches, electric pads, cloth bags full of rice, etc) on your lower back.

I know exactly the pain you're talking about, and the fact that you're having it at 15 is not a good thing. But good luck.

And don't ever give up on your dream of marching DCI. If you have to march a smaller corps for a year, it'll be a good chance to get experience. The best advice I can give you is to practice. With a metronome. Work on basic exercises, and when you think you've got them down, play them off the left. And then backwards. And then Backwards off the left. (Grids are great for this kind of thing). And never think that you're 'too good' for any exercise. Cavies, Phantom Regiment, BD, Bluecoats, Cadets, Crown, all play eights. I promise.

I wanted a Monty Python quote but it was too many chars...
'We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit.'
-Aristotle.
'Spell it right. Or else.'
-El Booj
ChelseaHeming

No. 8 Posted on Oct 2, 2010 6:13 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
i have the same problem,however i play the marching xylophone which i would guess is at least 60 pounds...Minimum and im 14yr old girl the xylophone is only supported by my waist not by my shoulders i cant march with that thing for more that like 15 minutes because my back hurts soooo much since iv only been playing for a few months can you guys give mme and tips?

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 29 milliseconds